Need help in calculating TDEE

Options
Hi all, I want to know how exactly can I calculate my TDEE. I know many web calculators estimate it but all calculations seem not accurate as when I eat at my suggested TDEE my mental abilities degrades, I lose weight (slowly) and I always feel cold. My issue is with TEA and TEF. I've used many calculators and methods, and got my BMR which is 1563. I need your help for the other two factors. Below is my info:

Weight: 66 Kg
Height: 170 cm

Activities:
* My work is desk job, but I leave my office every 1 hour to climb stairs for 4 floors. I also work for 10 hours daily.

* I do vigorous weight lifting 5 times per week, each session around 60 minutes of lifting (including rest periods between sets which is 30 to 60 sec as maximum).

* I do cardio approximately 3 times per week, each session is around 20 minutes.

* I do sex about 4 times per week, each session lasts about 45 to 6 minutes (including foreplay).

* My step counter (Sony Smart Band) states that my average steps daily around 5000 steps.

* I eat approximately 140g of protein daily (Isolate whey powder, meats, eggs, etc.)

So please help me calculate TEF and TEA.

Sincerely

Replies

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Katch-McArdle BMR x activity factor or something else? Eat more. Calculations are just guesses from which to make observations. You've observed, now adjust calories up.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Whenever I try to adjust I either gain or lose. I use 100 cal as adjustment factor. What is the proper time period to judge the adjustment? Usually I settle for 2 weeks and notice my weight as well as other measures. Is it enough?
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use a formula given by member vismal. It can be found here - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31708824#Comment_31708824

I see a lot of over complication here. First, calculators all mostly suck. The IIFYM one particularly sucks. Don't put tons of faith into it. It gives you a fine enough starting point but you are going to have to alter your numbers based on results. All too often people use a calculator, don't lose weight, and don't know what went wrong. I would take an even simpler method of determining macros. Take your weight in lbs, multiply by 10. That number is your calories. Take your weight in lbs, multiply by 0.7, that's your grams of protein. Take your weigh in lbs, multiply by 0.3, that's your fats in grams. That give you (rounding your weight to 150) 1500 calories, 105 protein, 45 fat. Those are your minimums. You must hit 105 protein and 45 fat each day while staying at 1500 calories. Carbs are flexible. If you hit exactly your minimums on protein and fat, you would have 169 carbs. You don't have to have that many carbs though, you can have extra protein of fat if you want. This allows for flexibility. That's the whole idea when you do IIFYM. Before it was called by the acronym is was simply called flexible dieting. Trying to hit all 3 macro goals every day isn't flexible, it's also not important for results. This is the worst thing that came with the acronym. For some reason people got it in their heads that they needed to hit all 3 numbers every day. That isn't flexible and that is never how flexible dieting was supposed to work. Just hit your protein and fat minimums, then use extra calories however you see fit.
    Adjust your total calories per day based on your actual results. Not losing fast enough or at all? Reduce them. Trial and error is better then the calculators 100% of the time.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food accurately?
    If you do, calculate your own TDEE.
    Add up how many calories you ate in 4 weeks. See how your weight changed in that time. Add 3500 calories for every pound you lost. If you gained weight, subtract 3500 for each lb gained. Divide the total by 28. That should be approx. your TDEE if you have been accurate.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Why would you only eat your BMR calories? Are you trying to lose weight?
    If your trying to maintain your weight, the lowest number you should be eating is 1914 calories (that's with a desk job and no other activity)
    Have you tried using this
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Why would you only eat your BMR calories? Are you trying to lose weight?
    If your trying to maintain your weight, the lowest number you should be eating is 1914 calories (that's with a desk job and no other activity)
    Have you tried using this
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'm in maintenance, I don't want to lose weight and I don't eat my BMR, I just mentioned it as guidance for members to help me. And yes I tried scoopy's calculator and it gave me 2400 cal. Following 2400; my weight increased, when I reduced to 2200 I lost weight. That's why I'm so confused.

What is the proper time span to judge if I gain or lose? I'm asking because maybe I'm getting incorrect results because water retention.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You could try to add 100 calories more (up to 2300) and give it atleast a week. And as you know, carbs make you retain more water (as does salt) so try watching out for that. Also slight weight fluctuations are normal anyway.