Need advice on fitness day & food

Options
Hi,

Next Saturday I am doing a day of 4 different fitness classes, Fight Klub - Super Saturday 14. I will be doing 3 classes (45 min each) in the morning and 1 long one (75 mins) in the afternoon.

My question is, what sort of food should I take for lunch or should I snack during the breaks? I have no idea how all this works and its the first time I have done anything like this so any help is extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'd bring tons of food. You're gonna need the energy.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Bring all of the foodz. You're probably going to feel better with easy digesting food if you're going to be exercising frequently.
  • woodybush
    woodybush Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What kind of food should I take? Nothing too heavy I'm assuming, but I am at a complete loss!

Also, should I take a sports drink instead of / as well as water to keep me hydrated?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    woodybush wrote: »
    What kind of food should I take? Nothing too heavy I'm assuming, but I am at a complete loss!

Also, should I take a sports drink instead of / as well as water to keep me hydrated?

Off the top of my head, bananas and protein bars, but different things suit different body's so don't take that as gospel. Sports drinks might help, but plenty of water is a definite must.
  • woodybush
    Options
    Great thanks, that's really helpful. I'm useless at food stuff etc.
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would go prepared and take a sports drink with you just in case. I would take food like Peanut butter and apples, Cottage cheese, nuts, granola, banana, tuna. But that is just things that work for me. Your body is probably different from mine.
  • woodybush
    Options
    tiona83 wrote: »
    I would go prepared and take a sports drink with you just in case. I would take food like Peanut butter and apples, Cottage cheese, nuts, granola, banana, tuna. But that is just things that work for me. Your body is probably different from mine.

Thanks. Is it high protein snacks I am looking for? I am guessing light food is better than 'filling' food as I don't want to vomit half way through the class!!

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are doing so much exercise and is it on a regular basis?

Nothing to panic about imo, what you are looking for are enough carbs to release energy and fuel your workout. Have breakfast c 1h hour before gym starts and have a reasonable amount because you will be getting some burn back calories anyway. I normally just have my oatmeal with whatever variation I decide on. Im linking a few articles with ideas for pre workout and post workout snacks. Just pick something you fancy.

When you are at the gym I always have a banana to eat half way through when I need a boost and breakfast has worn off, so maybe take one for mid morning and one for mid afternoon if you need it.

As a backup to that I might have some dried fruit on hand, but anything you want to snack on and give you a boost as a reserve is fine imo. There plenty of things in the articles for your lunch pick something you fancy and avoid anything thats fatty as the body takes longer to break that down, which is why you want carbs.

To sum up
    Breakfast with carbs
    Hydrate and take a couple of bananas plus maybe some dried fruit or whatever snack you want.
    For lunch pick another one of the suggestions and have something like a peanut butter and banana sandwich on wholemeal as a fallback.
    You will be fine though as as youve had something and you hydrate.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/best-workout-foods/

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/best-pre-and-post-workout-snacks-every-workout

http://www.redbookmag.com/body/healthy-eating/advice/g670/workout-foods/?slide=1
  • woodybush
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

God no! Its a one off fitness day at a hotel, I think they happen every few months and a friend of mine is dragging me along to this one. Plus I get to try boxing and other martial arts which I have always wanted to do.

That's very helpful information, thanks so much. Links are great :smile:

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    woodybush wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

God no! Its a one off fitness day at a hotel, I think they happen every few months and a friend of mine is dragging me along to this one. Plus I get to try boxing and other martial arts which I have always wanted to do.

That's very helpful information, thanks so much. Links are great :smile:

Sounds like the hotel from hell. I would rarther check into the Bates motel :). Look into intra workout food. It sounds strange, but sweets such as Jelly babies are good for quick energy release and will not sit heavy on your tummy. Just eat them during and in between classes and what everyone else said too.

• woodybush
    Options
    [/quote]

Sounds like the hotel from hell. I would rarther check into the Bates motel :). Look into intra workout food. It sounds strange, but sweets such as Jelly babies are good for quick energy release and will not sit heavy on your tummy. Just eat them during and in between classes and what everyone else said too.

[/quote]

Haha, true! But it sounds amazing. Live DJs, hip-hop fitness, Martial arts etc. I am most looking forward to the Rave Fit, it has live a DJ, glow sticks and sounds amazing.

Have a feeling I won't be able to walk for a few days but I'm hoping the pain will be worth it...

Jelly Babies is an amazing idea! I am def putting some in my bag.