Question about running

Options
So I think I would call myself a runner, but a newbie. I usually do a long run on Sundays which is 5-6 miles. During the week I usually do about 2.5 miles on the treadmill most days. Yesterday I went to the gym as a treat for myself (usually I run in my basement), and I did only 2.5 miles but it was really hard for some reason. Different treadmill? I don't know. And this morning my calves hurt a little, not much, but more than I think they should based on I didn't really do anything more than what I usually do. Today is my day for my long run, which I love and look forward to all week. But I'm wondering if today I should scrap it and just crosstrain instead? Thoughts? Thanks.

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    After the workout yesterday, what did you eat?
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think I had a Subway turkey sandwich.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How fast are you going? Are you running to the point where you breathe heavily?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    could b speed, incline, shoes, or a number of things. do you stretch afterwards? do you fuel properly before, during, and after a run?

you could have just had an off day. it happens.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    First of all, anyone who runs is a "runner"; don't let people scare you off claiming that label if you want it. :)

Second, there are a lot of things that could be different to throw you off, especially on a different treadmill. Speeds are calibrated differently, the tread pattern could be different, different softness, etc. It's a good idea to run on a variety of surfaces overall, instead of just sticking to one.

If you're sore and it's not "good pain," or even if it is "good pain" and you're just not feeling today's run physically or emotionally, why not take an active rest day? Go for a walk around the block, dance in your living room, walk around the mall. Or sit on your butt and watch TV if you feel like it. If your calves hurt evenly it's almost surely not an injury-injury, just a little overloaded and maybe needing a little break.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    give the 6 miler a try. if it's super painful, uncomfortable and difficult, you can always stop and finish your work out with some sort of cross train.
  • DaveyNH
    DaveyNH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a creature of habit. A slight change to my routine gets me jammed up. I'm in New England so I run indoors for winter and some of fall and spring. When switch from outdoors to in, I take a hit on my distance, pace, etc. Now that I have been indoors for 3 months and am about to switch, the same will happen. Perhaps switching environments did the same to you? I'm such a creature of habit I try to use even the same treadmill every time I run.

If you run on a regular basis, I would call you a runner. To me distance doesn't matter in that regard.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    A different treadmill can make a difference. They're not all calibrated the same, and the pace might be different, even though it's set the same. I don't remember where I read it, but I recall someone saying that if they use their pedometer on certain treadmills, the speed is sometimes way off.

When I belonged to a gym, there was one that just felt awful and I'd avoid it at all costs. It had a weird thump to it and it felt like I was running during an earthquake.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have a "special" treadmill at home - its ten years old, and I will never let it die (I even have a spare motor and motherboard for it, just in case!). It has a special deck that "gives" up to 3 inches and "pops" you back up. Its much easier on your knees and hips than a normal treadmill.

I can run 6 miles on my treadmill at home with ease. I only stop out of boredom. At one gym I go to, I have to force myself to finish 1.5 miles. at the other gym, I could do 2-3 miles but that is my limit. Outside, on pavement I am lucky to make it one mile. On dirt, I can do 2 miles.

Terrain makes a huge difference, and every treadmill is different.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When you run on a machine you develop weaknesses. Every machine is different. Same if you always run the same pavement route over and over. Run outside, run hills, run trail, do mobility work and you will strengthen more areas. If you haven't injured yourself then you are just sore from doing something slightly different. It happens! Do what you feel like doing until you push through it. Warm up well. If pain subsides when you warm up that's good. If it stays then time to rest.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would at least try the long run if it is just the calve muscle that is sore. Start slow and warm up. You may find your calves loosen up after 10 - 15 minutes. If your calves don't loosen up after 10 - 15 minutes, just walk and let it go.
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Start slow and after you warm up I'll bet you'll be ok. If not just walk the 6 miles..win, win
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Some days are tougher than others 'Just because' no specific reason. Not all runs are unicorns and rainbows I'm afraid. Try your long run if there are any major issues abandon it.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Could just be "one of those days"
    Sometimes there are easy days, sometimes there are hard days, sometimes you'll ache sometimes you wont, even at the same distances.
    Unless it happens a few times in a row, I wouldn't worry about it too much
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If it's just tight calfs I say take your long run. If it hurts stop. Sore tight calfs are part of running to me.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My experience...I can't run on treadmills. They hurt my back and give me shin splints. I'm all about pavement.