What's your experience with weight fluctuations!

Options
I've been on this journey of weightloss for 9 months now. I've noticed my weight can fluctuate +1-2lbs at different times of the month and after "cheat days". Does this happen to you? What's your experience? I've learned to not focus so much on weekly weighin but the trend over a months period of time. But boy is that hard!!! I'm pretty motivated but seeing a weight gain is tough!!
I thought this was interesting...
Someone posted an article about possible reasons that made sense; TOM, after too much salt intake, if eating a low carb diet and then had tons of carbs, muscle building causes the repairing fibers to hold in water, and not drinking enough water.
This past month I noticed those 1-2lbs staying around a little longer then usually. One week I had my TOM, next I had 1 1/2 semi-cheat days ( more carbs and salt then I usually allow), then not drinking enough ( was so busy with live and work-maybe drank 24oz of water/day), and I also stepped up my strength training this month.
So on Wednesday after reading this article I decided to really make an effort with my water intake thurs and fri, I drank 5-6 16oz bottle of water. No diet soda and no afternoon coffee too minimize diuretics.
Saturday morning was my weighin day.... Down 1lbs!
It was also my weighin that I look for the trend and it was where I wanted it to be.
Wow it worked!!
What do you think? interesting right?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Everyone will experience some form of fluctuations 1-4lbs is typical for various reasons, water retention for muscle repair, sodium, just drinking and eating more can all play a part. If you plot the readings then you should see the fluctuations for what they are and just focus on trend.
  • mustardyellowshirt
    mustardyellowshirt Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I "gained" four pounds since yesterday, apparently. Everything you posted makes sense though. @____@ The gain is still disheartening.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    They happen after a while you know if it's a real weight gain and not a fluctuation. You just need remember that the number on the scales is not absolute. To me a number isn't the goal it's a guide.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ive fluctuated 3lbs since coming back from the gym 3hrs ago.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Obviously, they happen. I track my weight by averaging it over three day periods to even things out. That gives me a better sense of what is going on. Also, I track body fat as well.

The numbers I really watch are body fat percentage, pounds of fat (change/remaining) and lean body mass (lean/remaining).
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with not focusing on the numbers but it's so nice to see it go down.
  • JeepinJenni
    JeepinJenni Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always gain about to 2 pounds after I lift weights. It's so discouraging!!!! It does go away the next day if I drink extra water. It never happens after cardio, so it must be those sore muscles holding water.