What To Eat Before A Race?

Options
Hey Everyone!

On Sunday I will be running a 10 K (my first race ever!) and I'm wondering what I should eat/drink the morning of the race. The run starts at 8:30 am and I usually run in the afternoon so I'm a little clueless, all I know is I HAVE to eat breakfast before I go. I really want to make sure I have enough fuel to run the whole way through but I also don't want to get weighed down or crampy.

So my questions are:
- What should I eat for breakfast?
- What time should I eat?
- How much water should I drink?
- Can I have coffee?

I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help! :drinker:

Replies

• emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    What do you eat before a training run and how long before do you usually eat?

I usually eat a bowl of cereal at least an hour before running, and this woks for me. I wouldn't try anything new before a race. No new foods and no new clothes and especially no new shoes.

HTH, Good luck in the race!!!
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just started racing this year too! I did the research, and "they" say to stay away from fiber and protein. You should eat simple carbs. Lots of people eat banana's, oatmeal, and/or protein bars. I had a banana and a mulit vitamin my last race, and threw up my multi vitamin, b/c breakfast wasn't enough. I ended up downing lots of water prior to, I cramped up, and had to walk a bit after my 4th mile. I'm still angry about my performance. And luckily there is another 10k in my area this weekend to give it another go. The biggest thing is eat what you normally eat. I'm eating banana again and forgoing the vitamin. Good luck on your race!!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I had steel cut oatmeal at home, then in the car on the way I had a bobo oats bar, I get them at the smoothie place, they are loaded with Carbs. it was good, I was good!
    No coffee, but I did have a red bull sugar free shot, cause I needed something. and I drank water, I had to go before the race, and again at mile 2 I stopped to potty, but I have a very small bladder.
    Best of luck to you!