2015 Dietary Guidelines Scientific Report

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
Just out.
http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/

This document will be guiding government policy and the public is invited to respond through May 8.

Lots of healthy eating guidelines that we are familiar with; less salt, less refined sugar, less saturated fat, fewer processed foods, more whole grains, more fruit and vegetables, and more iron for women and teens.

The two recommendations for weight loss are less screen time and fewer restaurant meals.

The report states that a shocking 50% of Americans have a preventable chronic disease (i.e. blood pressure).

Comment? Will you be adding yours?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No surprises here---I already adhere to all those guidelines. Thanks for the info. :)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Out of curiosity snowflake, have you cut out all those things they have advised us to have less of? That is, NO salt added? What does less mean?

For myself, I know I fail at the screen time advisory. I mean, here I am.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Out of curiosity snowflake, have you cut out all those things they have advised us to have less of? That is, NO salt added? What does less mean?

For myself, I know I fail at the screen time advisory. I mean, here I am.

I am 60 yrs old and have lived in Italy for almost 30. I follow the mediterranean diet. Italy is into healthy, but I prefer to call it "quality" eating. Food quality is debated constantly. My brother-in-law is a cardiologist and is always harping on low-salt. Yes, I use salt but try to keep it to a minimum and use herbs for flavor. I use olive oil for cooking and as a main condiment. I also try to keep my sugar usage down. For instance, I baked cookies yesterday using an American cookbook and I always cut the sugar in half. By the way, they were still too sweet--next time I'll only use a third of the sugar recomended. I cook from scratch everyday for my family of 5. Therefore, I control the ingredients. My husband will not eat meat---never ate it even as a child, so I cook alot of fish. I make it at least twice a week. I don't usually fry foods. We eat alot of fresh fruits and vegetables. I usually make my carb ( pasta or risotto) for lunch, and make my main protein for dinner. In that way I hit my macros pretty easily. I am happy to answer any questions, or help out in any way. Watching the forms, there is alot of misinformation, or tecnical discussions. I think those are interesting, but eating well is not that hard--in my opinion. Thanks again for your post. B)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have discovered calorie counting without my screen time. :wink:
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I wouldn't have discovered calorie counting without my screen time. :wink:
    D-uh, yeah! Me too.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @snowflake954 interesting outside the American context you keep in these guidelines. I have a girlfriend living in Greece - poor as a church mouse - but the abundance of fresh food she eats daily, I tell you I am astonished.

Have you noticed how many young posters lack confidence in their cooking skills? Did my confidence creep up on me in my old age?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Garbage in garbage out
  • snowflake954
    Options
    @snowflake954 interesting outside the American context you keep in these guidelines. I have a girlfriend living in Greece - poor as a church mouse - but the abundance of fresh food she eats daily, I tell you I am astonished.

Have you noticed how many young posters lack confidence in their cooking skills? Did my confidence creep up on me in my old age?

I think I can include you when I say that our generation learned how to cook. I grew up on a farm in Minnesota with 5 brothers. My Mom was a nurse and worked nights, so I had to cook for the family. I started cooking when I was around 12--popcorn and scrambled eggs at a 4-H class. We had a garden, and our own animals. Our neighbors were always giving us stuff like sweet corn, fresh peas, homemade wine, whatever was overflowing from their gardens. In highschool we had HomeEC and I learned to cook and sew--the boys had a class just for them. I cooked alot, and learned to love it. When I met my Italian husband on the beach in Mexico, and thought I knew alot about food. Marrying and moving to Italy was a shocker. First of all, our way of eating is considered very unhealthy---we don't know, as a people how to cook or eat well. I learned to cook the Italian way from my mother-in-law, and her two older sisters--the classical old Italian women dressed in black because they are widows. Food is part of the culture, and to their great surprise, I learned, and understood, and became a respected cook in the family--no mean feat here. When we went out with my husband's friends there would sometimes be that sly question--"What do you cook"? They always looked sympatically at my husband because he married an American. As, to young people in the USA, my heart goes out to them. They don't know food and what it can do for you, how to choose it, cook it etc. This is because women work--therefore fast food, and people think cooking from scratch takes too much time. I don't know if nutrition and cooking are taught in the schools, but it should be, since it's basic to life. Sorry about the soapbox, but when I return home I see these problems, now being passed from one generation to the next. That's my take on it. I advise young posters to take a cooking class, and possibly nutrition too--it may save your life. B)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I am old enough to have taken Home Ec too, and I still use those skills to make a decent white sauce. I am happy to report that my granddaughter is a mean cook largely from my influence. She thinks grandmas cook with their grandchildren. We donated so many cookies to the neighbourhood.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff in snowflakes posts. There is no substitute for real cooking of real food. Unfortunately, our American supermarkets are filled with processed, food-like substitutes for real food, and for all to many people, those food-like substitutes have become the new normal.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I have a theory that the Second World War set the pattern. While the Continent simply went hungry, in North America the industrial complex met the demand with cheaper mass produced substitutes. A low grade tomato may be masked with a bit of salt and sugar for instance. This is not all bad. Few people go hungry here. Industry can efficiently provide a lot of food at low cost. And it is trying to keep up with our evolving tastes. Case in point, the blossoming of gluten free on our shelves.

IMO most bread substitutes are simply awful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that the Second World War set the pattern. While the Continent simply went hungry, in North America the industrial complex met the demand with cheaper mass produced substitutes. A low grade tomato may be masked with a bit of salt and sugar for instance. This is not all bad. Few people go hungry here. Industry can efficiently provide a lot of food at low cost. And it is trying to keep up with our evolving tastes. Case in point, the blossoming of gluten free on our shelves.

I read a social history of cooking that talked about how stuff like cake mixes and canned foods became preferred, for reasons beyond convenience (cake mixes that had you do a few simple steps like add eggs and oil were much more popular than more complete kinds). I wanted to recommend it but can't find it on amazon, so will have to follow up when I look at my shelves.

I don't know when people stopped learning to cook. I learned to cook some simple stuff when I was growing up and would occasionally do kitchen projects (based on following a recipe, not being taught by my mother, who never really enjoyed cooking), but I didn't really know how to cook when I moved out on my own. I taught myself in my late 20s. It's easy to forget that if you aren't in the habit of cooking things can be so much harder, since by now it's second nature.

(I add salt when cooking and don't plan to stop, and I also find the internet helpful in developing some healthy habits, although I'm sure I waste too much time on it. Mostly at the expense of reading or TV, though.)
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hardly ever hit those guidelines, but I don't find those guidelines appropriate. It was those guidelines that got us where we are today, why keep on keeping on? I eat a lot of sodium, but hardly ever use salt. I am a perfectly healthy overweight American, although my GI tract will tell you it hates fruit.

I don't know what screentime is, but gathering from the context, I would say it relates to cooking something. *add....It means t.v. time- now I understand. Yeah, I can see it now.

I hardly ever eat out (giggity), and have no desire to about 99% of the time. If eating out at restaurants less is one of the things that they recommend, then they are, oh...about 30 years behind the curve, when fast food was all the craze and burger places were popping up on every street corner. A lot of their stuff is outdated, in my opinion, and government is a reactive bunch (as opposed to proactive), but if their opinions changed too quickly, this economy would go into the pooper.

I don't follow these guidelines, as they do not apply to me. I am overweight, but have not had the issues that a lot of people on here have had doctors tell them they have, and are probably on a bunch of medications for them. For the people that have high blood pressure or some other disease....well, hope it works out for ya. I am just going to keep eating my cheesy bacon :-), because, for me, that is the healthy way to go.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I read a social history of cooking that talked about how stuff like cake mixes and canned foods became preferred, for reasons beyond convenience (cake mixes that had you do a few simple steps like add eggs and oil were much more popular than more complete kinds). I wanted to recommend it but can't find it on amazon, so will have to follow up when I look at my shelves.

I don't know when people stopped learning to cook. I learned to cook some simple stuff when I was growing up and would occasionally do kitchen projects (based on following a recipe, not being taught by my mother, who never really enjoyed cooking), but I didn't really know how to cook when I moved out on my own. I taught myself in my late 20s. It's easy to forget that if you aren't in the habit of cooking things can be so much harder, since by now it's second nature.

(I add salt when cooking and don't plan to stop, and I also find the internet helpful in developing some healthy habits, although I'm sure I waste too much time on it. Mostly at the expense of reading or TV, though.)

On this point, a lot of people [in the US] don't know that food rationing went on in the UK for years after WWII ended. Because the US was quite literally the last economy standing that wasn't the now evil USSR, we didn't do half bad for ourselves. Coffee became 5 cents a cup; this is significant, because for a long time, coffee was a luxury that we could now afford to pay a nickel for. Quick, convenient, cheap things were a sign that we were doing well, which was something to be proud of, and the US has always liked to show off. I think a lot of the differences in opinions re: social programs between the US and a good chunk of Europe can be pinpointed to the fact that the US's post-WWII experience was very different than Europe's.

For myself, no. I won't be following all these guidelines. I have low blood pressure, sometimes low to the point of passing out low, and if I didn't add salt to anything, that would be a problem for me. But, like anything that is a guideline, I think it's meant to be tailored to individual circumstances.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The findings say that the the dietary shortfalls of these are a public health concern: calcium, vitamin D, fiber, and potassium. We can expect some changes to the gov school lunches.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    I hardly ever hit those guidelines, but I don't find those guidelines appropriate. It was those guidelines that got us where we are today, why keep on keeping on? I eat a lot of sodium, but hardly ever use salt. I am a perfectly healthy overweight American, although my GI tract will tell you it hates fruit.

I don't know what screentime is, but gathering from the context, I would say it relates to cooking something. *add....It means t.v. time- now I understand. Yeah, I can see it now.

I hardly ever eat out (giggity), and have no desire to about 99% of the time. If eating out at restaurants less is one of the things that they recommend, then they are, oh...about 30 years behind the curve, when fast food was all the craze and burger places were popping up on every street corner. A lot of their stuff is outdated, in my opinion, and government is a reactive bunch (as opposed to proactive), but if their opinions changed too quickly, this economy would go into the pooper.

I don't follow these guidelines, as they do not apply to me. I am overweight, but have not had the issues that a lot of people on here have had doctors tell them they have, and are probably on a bunch of medications for them. For the people that have high blood pressure or some other disease....well, hope it works out for ya. I am just going to keep eating my cheesy bacon :-), because, for me, that is the healthy way to go.

Dear Rockstar, I don't know how old you are, but I have a friend just like you. Talked just like you until about 6 years ago when everything fell apart. I urge you to rethink your position. I now wish I had had the courage to put our friendship on the line by telling him he was wrong. Now 3 strokes later it's useless. Good luck. :)
  • snowflake954
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Lots of good stuff in snowflakes posts. There is no substitute for real cooking of real food. Unfortunately, our American supermarkets are filled with processed, food-like substitutes for real food, and for all to many people, those food-like substitutes have become the new normal.

How kind of you to say this. Thanks--sometimes I need a boost. B)
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options

My big takeaway from the guidelines has always been to eat plenty of fruits and veggies. I don't think that's what got us where we are today as surveys show most people eat no where near the recommended amounts of fruits of veggies.

• snowflake954
    Options

Everything has to be convenient and fast. Here there is a movement called "slow food" to counteract "fast food". They are into fresh, famer's market produce and other products--cheeses, hams, sausages, etc. made by small producers. It's quite popular. :)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Everything has to be convenient and fast. Here there is a movement called "slow food" to counteract "fast food". They are into fresh, famer's market produce and other products--cheeses, hams, sausages, etc. made by small producers. It's quite popular. :)

Nowadays SlowFood is a global organization, and they are also in the US:
    http://www.slowfoodusa.org/#