Indigestion and acid reflux?!

Options
Hey all!

Wondered if anyone else has experienced this...

I've been trying to lose weight for about 2 months now. I'm not following any particular diet, just restricting my calorie intake to 1200 and exercising 5 days a week (losing between 300-800 calories per day)

This week I've started getting really bad indigestion, to the point where it actually makes me vomit. I've never had an issue like this before, and I'm not eating anything particularly acidic. I've vomited 3 times this week because of this, and it's usually within half an hour of eating a meal.

Has anyone else experienced this when they have cut down their calorie intake? I really can't attribute it to the types of foods I'm eating, because I really haven't changed the CONTENT of my food (other than cutting out crap like fizzy drinks, chips, etc)

Would appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I had need indigestion back before I lost weight. It was miserable! I understand, however it never made me throw up. I'll bet it has nothing to do with your reduction of calories though. sorry I don't have a solution for you. It does go away with weight loss though. Did for me anyway.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    See an ENT. You may have silent reflux that you are unaware of. It has nothing to do with acidic foods.
  • lrenaee
    lrenaee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have acid reflux and heartburn that's not connected to weight, and when I eat less it gets worse...I think it's because I'm eating less carbs/bread, which help soak up the acid in my stomach, and my stomach is empty more often. Invest in some tums, they work great for me. When I'm in a calorie deficit I have to take them about twice as much :neutral_face:
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem, before I started losing I had bad indigestion and reflux everyday, I was eating Gaviscon tablets like they were sweets! Now I'm 25lbs down and eating better it has virtually disappeared. I don't have any answers for you but I wish you well, hopefully it's a short term thing but if it worries you then see your doctor
  • lrenaee
    lrenaee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also acidic food can be causing it. For example if before your diet you drank your morning coffee with a big breakfast, but now you're having it with only a bananna, that can hurt your stomach and cause acid reflux and heartburn. I'd suggest not eating/drinking acidic foods on an empty stomach or with only a small snack and see if it helps.

And it never hurts to go to the doctor and see if there is an underlying problem if it persist.
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have severe acid reflux. You should avoid coffee, chocolate, tomato sauce, any acidic fruits, fizzy drinks, ice cream. I take Prilosec every day, which helps, but sometimes I still get it. I'm under a doc's care, so it's being managed. Go to your doc.
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've experienced that in the past and I suggest you see your Dr.