What can I do with a bag of frozen calamari?

Options
Honeytips
Honeytips Posts: 337 Member
Hi guys, do you have any tried, tested and easy recipes for frozen calamari? I bought a huge bag thinking of delicious crisp calamari rings...but would like a few other healthier options. The only thing I can think of is maybe marinating some, grilling then mixing them through a sald, but would love to get some more options.

Replies

• zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    I don't have any recipes since I cant eat seafood but my mother would put calamari in her pastas, seafood stews and stir fry with them.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Feed it to your cat.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Cook it.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I like them with pasta & tomato sauce.

Get the pasta going.

Defrost the squid under cold running water; pat with a paper towel until super dry; salt them; pan-fry in olive oil for a couple of minutes (only! or they get chewy); add tomato sauce; done. I have a low-fat parm that's not too bad, to put over it.

15 minutes max if you use tomato sauce you have ready. If you're making a basic tomato sauce* at the same time, can have it done in 40 if you're quick with the prep.

*The one I do when I feel like it: slowly brown 1 onion & 3 cloves garlic in olive oil; add a can of tomatoes, a bay leaf, basil (& oregano, if you want); bring to a boil, reduce, simmer, then start the pasta etc.

You can add stuff (I saw a recipe with chili & anchovies online, sounds good) & veg in the sauce. I like sauteed spinach or just a salad on the side.

edit: splash of vodka in the sauce doesn't do anyone any harm.
  • Honeytips
    Options
    Feed it to your cat.

lol!! Don't own a cat...or a dog....or anything to feed it to except myself and the husband
  • Honeytips
    Options
    I like them with pasta & tomato sauce.

Get the pasta going.

Defrost the squid under cold running water; pat with a paper towel until super dry; salt them; pan-fry in olive oil for a couple of minutes (only! or they get chewy); add tomato sauce; done. I have a low-fat parm that's not too bad, to put over it.

15 minutes max if you use tomato sauce you have ready. If you're making a basic tomato sauce* at the same time, can have it done in 40 if you're quick with the prep.

*The one I do when I feel like it: slowly brown 1 onion & 3 cloves garlic in olive oil; add a can of tomatoes, a bay leaf, basil (& oregano, if you want); bring to a boil, reduce, simmer, then start the pasta etc.

You can add stuff (I saw a recipe with chili & anchovies online, sounds good) & veg in the sauce. I like sauteed spinach or just a salad on the side.

edit: splash of vodka in the sauce doesn't do anyone any harm.

Excellent!! This sounds really yummy!! Will definitely print this out and try it tonight :happy:
  • wendydl
    wendydl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fry olive oil , peppers, onion, garlic ,fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce ,add calamari and a few prawns and toss with some pasta have no more than a tea plate full !

That's how to lose weight , eat your dinner off a tea plate its all about quantity !!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would use them in a seafood stew *_*

Get some (low-sodium) canned tomatoes with the juice, bring to the boil, add in some water, some white wine (if you wish), salt, pepper, basil, oregano. Throw in your (defrosted) calamri, as well as some fish, prawns, whatever ~ bring to the boil again, then let simmer for about 20 minutes.

Heavenly!
  • themeIcanbe
    Options
    Marinate in chilli, garlic, soy and lemon juice.
    Stir fry very quickly, very hot.
    Add lots of yummy fresh vege...bok choy, capsicum, spainish onion, brocolinni etc.
    You either have to flash fry calamari or cook it for ages...nothing in between or you'll be eating rubber bands. :happy:
  • Honeytips
    Options
    Thanks for all the yummy sounding ideas!! Will definitely try a few out!! Did the idea with the pasta sauce for dinner last night, threw in some lactose free cheese and it was heavenly!!