I don't eat fish or vegetables Help Please

Options
all my life I have had a horrible way of eating. Red meat almost everyday, rice, everything had butter, no vegetable ever, and fried a ton of my food. Oh yea fast food also whenever I could. Now that I am at the highest I ever been (230) I can't do it anymore. I have cut out the rice, and brought my red meat intake down to 1 time a week. My husband likes to eat well. He has been doing all the cooking since I started my weight loss journey 3 weeks ago. He's made fish twice and I have forced myself to eat it. We have also switched from our regular seasonings to herbs. If you have any delicious ways of cooking fish or vegetable please send me the recipe. THANK YOU

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Try Pinterest. They have recipes for everything on there!
  • jdcrunk151
    jdcrunk151 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/34746/baked-salmon-ii/?page=0

I half the oil and only marinate 15-20 mins or however long I have.

Cod is a great baking fish too that doesn't have the typical fishy flavor. Try googling a "panko baked cod recipe"

Goodyck on your journey!
  • MrsA10001
    MrsA10001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Explain why you can't eat fish or vegetables. Is it that you just don't like them? Are you allergic?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    What about chicken, pork, or turkey? Also, try as many veggies as you can, you might be surprised and find some you actually like. Same thing with fish, different types have different flavors. My husband prefers panko crusted salmon (delish) but does not care for steel head trout. I like baked cod too. Fish usually tastes good with lemon pepper or fresh squeezed lemon, or dill.
  • AddieCakes
    AddieCakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try oven-roasting veggies. It brings out a slightly sweeter flavor with a little of that good char on the edges. All it takes is a little oil, salt, and pepper. Some of my faves: butternut squash, broccoli, carrots, sweet potato... the possibilities are endless. Good luck!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out things you like -- that's asking for trouble. I eat red meat and rice 3+ times a week. I lost 50 pounds a decade ago and have maintained that loss. It's about portion control and finding ways to meet you nutritional goals. Maybe introduce a new vegetable into a meal you know you enjoy? Like broccoli with your meat and rice? Or a salad with your fast food burger and not fries.

I rarely eat fish. I don't like it unless it's very fresh -- I live in a land locked area.

If you are looking for a leaner meat choice, maybe chicken or turkey?

• piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    All veggies look good to me with some melted (nonfat or lowfat) mozzarella cheese ontop!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus is yummy... so are brussels sprouts roasted until starting to caramelize (toss them with a bit of EVOO and sprinkle generously with kosher salt as long as you don't have any health issues with salt).

For fish, we sauté sole fillets. Warm pan with a bit of butter, put in sole. Sprinkle with some Hy's seasoning salt. Flip after a few minutes, sprinkle with fresh squeezed lemon juice. Yum!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What about chicken or lean cuts of pork? Chicken stir fry is pretty low cal if you really watch the oil. Pork tenderloin is also a great source of lean protein
  • AddieCakes
    AddieCakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus is yummy... so are brussels sprouts roasted until starting to caramelize (toss them with a bit of EVOO and sprinkle generously with kosher salt as long as you don't have any health issues with salt).

For fish, we sauté sole fillets. Warm pan with a bit of butter, put in sole. Sprinkle with some Hy's seasoning salt. Flip after a few minutes, sprinkle with fresh squeezed lemon juice. Yum!

I must try this!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are other lean cuts of meat so not eating fish isn't a huge problem. Do you eat chicken?

Veggies - no excuses....please. Some of us grew up eating veggies, so eating them is just "normal." Do I like each and every single kind of veggie? No, I have preferences (of course).

For many people, veggie hatred (for lack of a better word) is a texture thing. Not all veggies cooked different ways will have the same texture. This is just an excuse. Experiment! Steam, roast, grill, stir fry your veggies....or eat them raw.

Try frozen (some have better texture than others). Try canned (blech!)....and that's what I grew up with. Try fresh when you can. It's not just overpowering the flavor with some sort of seasoning. No one should hate all vegetables for their flavor....they don't ALL taste the same. Again, this is just an excuse.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    An easy tilapia recipe:

Pan Fry in browned butter and garnish with capers before serving. Granted, the butter isn't going to be the best for you all the time, but it might help you ease into fish a bit and it's seriously delicious.

I eat SO many veggies SO many ways. Roasting is always easy. Steaming is easy, but you may need to add seasoning once it's done. I recently made a blended veggie soup and used 1 cup of white beans to thicken it and make it seem creamer (I boiled vegetable broth, broccoli, green pepper, and zucchini and then blended with the beans). It was green for St. Patrick's Day! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not big fish lovers in our house but there's several ways that "pass". I love this hummus based tuna salad.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845702616/

Cod is a mild flavoured fish. I've breaded and baked it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've tried roasted veggies....really good. Start with cauliflower (it has a very mild flavor). Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper......minced garlic is good too.

Carrots....not canned, not frozen. Just peel them and cut them up. Steam them. Add salt, pepper and butter. Yummy. If carrots are OK....then try parsnips. These have a stronger, sweeter flavor....but still in the carrot family. These are good roasted too.

Fresh green beans. These have a mild flavor. The fresh ones are so much better (IMO) than frozen or canned. Just steam them. Cooking them "al dente" is my favorite. Canned green beans are too mushy for me, other people prefer them soft.

I like grilled asparagus, this maybe an acquired taste. The flavor of asparagus is stronger. Olive oil & soy sauce....yummy.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The big secret to eating fish is to really find fish that does not taste (fishy) Tilapia, Tuna, salmon and Mahi-mahi are some of the best choices. I find that if you take the fish and place it in a piece of aluminum foil add some garlic, a tablespoon of White Wine, and two tablespoons of Lemon juice, seal in the foil and bake at 400 for 30 minutes, then take the fish out, place on a cooking board or a oiled cookie shoot and bake for an additional 5 minutes, the flavor is not over powering, and the meat comes out very tender.

For Fish I like to server a side dish of wild rice and Kale. the Kale I make by boiling the Kale in Cider Vinegar with some minced garlic, chopped spinach. and some red pepper for about 30 minutes. This mixture is very low in calories and tens to fill you up fast.