What's Your Favorite Weekend Breakfast With Avocado (Help! Avocado Addict!)

Options
After years of being told "if you eat fewer calories in a day than you need, you WILL lose weight" I finally decided to give it a try (with the help of MFP). I've logged 23 pounds of weight loss in the last 2.5 months (My GF has logged 15) so I'm finally a believer now as well. Being relatively new to healthy eating, initially led to less than ideal decisions on the types of foods cut off - everything had to be low cal. As a result, we cut out a lot of essential foods and nutrients essential to a balanced diet. As our journey into healthy eating has continued we have become big fans of the avocado because its reputation for being a great source of healthy fats and nutrients (And it tastes so good!!). Admittedly, we still have lots to learn but our having fun doing it.

This brings me to this post. We started out adding avocado to our salads at lunch. Then in a veggie chili recipe we really enjoy. Now it has become a favorite to include in our weekend breakfasts (which are normally bigger than during the week). Here is a couple pictures (and videos we made making them) of our favorite breakfasts with avocado. If you'd like to see the ingredients/recipe just let me know.

So, what's your favorite breakfast with avocado in it?? Looking for some new ideas!

(pictured is Eggs Benny w Bacon & Avocado Hollandaise and a lighter version with just poached eggs on toast with avocado sauce and cooked asparagus and mushrooms)

Eggs Benny w Bacon & Avocado Hollandaise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4UGamye5_s
Guac n' egg bagel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCioVWsVPnA

jzr2hjguku6a.jpg
ga04zri4wvjx.jpg

Replies

• darkbeth
    darkbeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Those look absolutely amazing. (LOVE runny eggs). Since I began restricting my intake, the one thing I crave more than anything else is avocado. I usually have it once a week or so.

It's not nearly as intricate as what you've posted, but I make a lot of avocado toast. It's just a piece of toasted bread, usually something high in fiber, with a small amount of melted butter (half a teaspoon), then I slice up half an avocado (usually haas), put it on top, and lightly sprinkle with garlic salt. It averages around 240 calories a piece. I love it, and it's one of my most common weekend breakfasts.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. The video was amazing.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't understand avacados yet. I don't dislike them, they just make no sense to me.
  • berniehfx
    berniehfx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    darkbeth wrote: »
    It's not nearly as intricate as what you've posted, but I make a lot of avocado toast. It's just a piece of toasted bread, usually something high in fiber, with a small amount of melted butter (half a teaspoon), then I slice up half an avocado (usually haas), put it on top, and lightly sprinkle with garlic salt.

Simple is good too, and I love the idea of sprinkling garlic salt on top - genius!
  • berniehfx
    Options
    lore11a wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing. The video was amazing.

I'm glad you liked it :)
  • berniehfx
    Options
    landfish wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't understand avacados yet. I don't dislike them, they just make no sense to me.

To me, they are like black coffee. Initially you need to add the cream and sugar to enjoy it but then you learn to enjoy it straight up. I still prefer guacamole over straight avocado though.
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here in rural Ethiopia, avocado juice is a common thing (and sometimes the only option) at juice houses. I was skeptical for months until I tried it, and then LOVED IT. I've had it alone, and in 'sprees' (a layered juice, often avocado juice on the bottom and another juice or two like guava and mango layered on top). SO GOOD. It has this lovely velvety texture. At home, I've blended fresh avocado with some cold water, honey and enjoyed it simple, layered with fresh pinapple juice, and also tried blended it with frozen canned pears - also good! I hear avocado is good in smoothies too, but if you're an avocado fan as well, you'll likely enjoy it straight up! Tip: splash some lime juice on top & enjoy!

Here is an example of one of the delicious sprees I've had here!

Annnnd now I am craving avocados. Can't wait til the season begins and they start showing up in our weekly market again!
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've not even finished reading the post properly but had to stop to say: my goodness those meals look AMAZING, dying to make these now!!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Cut an avocado in half. Smoosh up insides. Mix in four pieces of crumbled, cooked bacon. Add a couple of leaves of shredded basil if desired. Profit!
  • berniehfx
    Options

This looks AMAZING!! I might have to figure out how to juice an avocado!
  • berniehfx
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Cut an avocado in half. Smoosh up insides. Mix in four pieces of crumbled, cooked bacon. Add a couple of leaves of shredded basil if desired. Profit!

Avocado +Bacon = Profit. I could get behind this. Mmmmm.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    My standard recipe has two ingredients:

One half avocado
    One spoon

Oh, maybe a sprinkle of lime juice too, if I feel like it
  • iheartdinosaurs
    Options
    berniehfx wrote: »

This looks AMAZING!! I might have to figure out how to juice an avocado!

How it's done here is simply using a blender and adding some water (and/or honey/sugar etc) til you get the right consistency! Of course, you could definitely play around with other methods :smile:
  • berniehfx
    Options

How it's done here is simply using a blender and adding some water (and/or honey/sugar etc) til you get the right consistency! Of course, you could definitely play around with other methods :smile:

Ohhh okay, that is pretty much how the avocado "hollandaise" was made in the food pictures I posted above. That's easy enough. Thx for the idea of layering too!
  • iheartdinosaurs
    Options

Ohhh okay, that is pretty much how the avocado "hollandaise" was made in the food pictures I posted above. That's easy enough. Thx for the idea of layering too!

BTW I forgot to mention the hollandaise looks amazing and I can't wait to try that soon! Thanks for the ideas!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing eggs baked in an avacado half on pintrest. I haven't tried it yet though.

baked-eggs-700-1.jpg
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Weekend or weekday >> California BLT >> http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=87&S=0
  • lpelly81
    lpelly81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made these for the OP :p

(pictured is Eggs Benny w Bacon & Avocado Hollandaise and a lighter version with just poached eggs on toast with avocado sauce and cooked asparagus and mushrooms)

Eggs Benny w Bacon & Avocado Hollandaise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4UGamye5_s
    Guac n' egg bagel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCioVWsVPnA

jzr2hjguku6a.jpg
    ga04zri4wvjx.jpg

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I also keep seeing the eggs baked in avocado, but I'm just not sure how I feel about it cooked? I've only ever had it raw.
  • berniehfx
    Options
    @paulaviki I thought so too, but apparently Tempura Fried Avocado Bites are a thing as well, although I'm sure not that low cal