How much do I need to eat?

Options
So on a regular day my goal is 2300 Cal, 45% Carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. I have started jogging home from work and depending on the route I take it can be between 3.5-5km (2.15-3.1 miles) I have an average pace of 10min/km speed. On days that I run should I be eating more and if yes how much should I be eating?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So on a regular day my goal is 2300 Cal, 45% Carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. I have started jogging home from work and depending on the route I take it can be between 3.5-5km (2.15-3.1 miles) I have an average pace of 10min/km speed. On days that I run should I be eating more and if yes how much should I be eating?

If you are going by MFP's calorie goal, you should log your exercise and eat those calories back. Many people find the calorie allotment for exercise is inflated, so they eat back 50-75% of it. Did your original calorie goal come from MFP?

• TylerNorris57
    TylerNorris57 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    no, just some twerking around with it as what they recommended was to low for me
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    no, just some twerking around with it as what they recommended was to low for me

If you are doing a custom calorie goal, you can try eating back a portion of exercise calories if you feel especially hungry or have low energy. However, if you are already eating higher than MFP goals (which isn't necessarily bad), you should probably experiment with this to ensure you don't stall your weight loss by eating too much back.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

mfp wanted me to eat 1200 for a 2/lb a week loss. for a month, i was a mean raving lunatic and ate back all my exercise cals. then i decided to up it to 1500 and not eat back unless i was hungry, or just wanting a treat. both plans had the same result, only with 1500 calories im a much happier person. LOLOL

Play with it and see what works best for you!
  • TylerNorris57
    TylerNorris57 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was working 4x a week and working a job that had me walking 5km a day and was only eating 2000 Cal, and 10% fat I was not a happy man