Do I really have to eat only 1200? :/

Options
2»

Replies

• littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    don't try and lose epic amounts in a small time. you will end up going catabolic and lose muscle (muscle helps keep you lean and healthy!!! keep / build muscle!!!)

i know this kinda goes against the purpose of having a calorie counter, but if you continually make small healthy changes over long periods you will lose fat and retain a healthy physique.

if you drop weight too fast you will eat away your muscle and then not only will you still be fat, but you will be "skinny fat"... meaning you will have no tone and still carry fat in unwanted areas because your body likes to retain fat (coz it thinks your starving, so it drops your metabolism and feeds your vital organs by cannibalizing your muscle, and leaves fat for reserve as fat doesnt need energy to preserve it!).

Ive done weight loss management (for myself) many times and have found that it is still quite possible to lose weight by simply eating clean and not pig out (without counting calories).
    - lots of veges (green veges are great, increases your alkalinity which helps for breaking down fat cells)
    - carbs (complex carbs) early in the day for fuel, extremely little at night (carbs at night can produce insulin response which turns carbs to fat)
    - reduce red meats from diet, increase white meats (reduction of calories from fat)
    - exercise!! make sure you lift weights at least twice a week (bare minimum), in my opinion weights is more important than cardio for both men and women, cardio is also important just dont over do it (15-30mins a day or minimum 3 days/week)
    - junk food is ok, just in moderation, accentuation on the moderation!!! if you eat junk food, make sure you feel guilty and work extra hard at the gym the next day :bigsmile:
    I completely agree with you the name for it is the set point theory where your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto the fat and like you said it starts taking from your muscle and instead of losing the "good" weight you instead lose what your body needs. It also effects your metabolism slowing it down. Taking weight off slowly and exercising is the best way! This would allow you to lose inches by toning and taking the weight off slowly also means it has a better chance of staying off that way you also get to increase your healthy eating calories as well. But the biggest step is making a lifestyle change if you want to be at a healthy weight and keep it off.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    How did you guys lose weight? :/

I'm losing it by going slowly and not setting impossible/very hard to attain healthy weight loss goals. I've lost around 40 lbs over the past year and a half. I don't even have a GW, just a goal to live like this for the rest of my life.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    How did I lose it?

1200 cals, and I NEVER went over. Workout daily to the tune of at least 600 cals a day & I would only eat back if I was hungry. 16 months today & I'm still on 1200 cals even though I have no need to be cause I hit my goal weight 9 months ago. I just don't feel the need to eat more that 1200 anymore & workout to the tune of over 100 cals a day & still only eat back if I feel hungry.

1200 & you get used to eating less. No big deal, I COULD eat 2000-3000 but then that's how I got fat.
  • littlelady2b
    Options
    I lost my first 25 netting a 1000 calorie deficit. I didn't go into starvation mode. I did eat back exercise calories. After that I had to move to a 500 cal net deficit because I was cranky.

1200 net is fine as long as you are exercising and eating it back, and are fat enough to handle it. If you have low energy or your behaviour changes for the worse, eat more.

I know you are impatient to reach your goal, but you have to get over it. That's just part of the challenge. Accept it, and move forward.

Your mission should be to constantly improve how you measure your calories, and keep looking for the foods and meal timings that leave you satisfied and energised without pushing you into the red. Don't accept things like "probably". Weigh, measure, and keep researching caloric values. Are you using raw weight figures to measure cooked meat? Picking the entry with the lowest cals per ounce? Are you assuming certain things are too small to count? Fix it.

This post exemplifies ignorance of ghrelin and leptin, the hormones that regulate hunger. If you are restricting your calories too much, chances are you won't feel it. Listen to the previous posters who discussed TDEE.

And yet despite my ignorance, I managed to get fantastic results, my hunger signals now work better than ever, and I have control over my eating.

I did say NET 1000 calorie deficit. I ATE a lot.

It works. I have no metabolic damage, and as I indicated, I simply adjusted upwards once I no longer had the reserves to keep it up.
    I understand what you're saying and it worked for you but everyone is different especially men and women most men need more calories than women. Women also deal with water weight that most men don't. Also other factors come into play like environment, age and metabolism not to mention hormones. The original poster has to make a decision and that is a lifestyle change and making a commitment to that and if the calories are too low she will be given extra calories as soon as she works out. I think the problem stems from the amount of weight she wants to take off a week lower that and the calories will increase. Work out and the calories will increase. Anyway just my 2 cents I wish everyone on here success in their weight loss or maintenance journeys. Good/healthy eating to you
  • littlelady2b
    Options
    There is lots of advice on here for you understand though that men and women lose weight differently most men need more calories than women. Women also deal with water weight that most men don't. Also other factors come into play like environment, age and metabolism not to mention hormones. Its up to you to make a decision and that is a lifestyle change and making a commitment to that and if the calories are too low you will be given extra calories as soon as you works out. I think the problem stems from the amount of weight you want to take off a week. Lower that and the calories will increase. Work out and the calories will increase. Anyway just my 2 cents I wish everyone on here success in their weight loss or maintenance journeys. Good/healthy eating to everyone!
  • comeatmeskinnyTilly
    Options
    hey baby - yeah. see in the beginning I thought that that was cra-zaaay *kitten* but you see now ive realised. if you want the gain (or loss - haw haw) you need to deal with the pain. say buh bye to all those cookies gurl, not like you need them anyway ;) xxx
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25 netting a 1000 calorie deficit. I didn't go into starvation mode. I did eat back exercise calories. After that I had to move to a 500 cal net deficit because I was cranky.

1200 net is fine as long as you are exercising and eating it back, and are fat enough to handle it. If you have low energy or your behaviour changes for the worse, eat more.

I know you are impatient to reach your goal, but you have to get over it. That's just part of the challenge. Accept it, and move forward.

Your mission should be to constantly improve how you measure your calories, and keep looking for the foods and meal timings that leave you satisfied and energised without pushing you into the red. Don't accept things like "probably". Weigh, measure, and keep researching caloric values. Are you using raw weight figures to measure cooked meat? Picking the entry with the lowest cals per ounce? Are you assuming certain things are too small to count? Fix it.

This post exemplifies ignorance of ghrelin and leptin, the hormones that regulate hunger. If you are restricting your calories too much, chances are you won't feel it. Listen to the previous posters who discussed TDEE.

And yet despite my ignorance, I managed to get fantastic results, my hunger signals now work better than ever, and I have control over my eating.

It works. I have no metabolic damage, and as I indicated, I simply adjusted upwards once I no longer had the reserves to keep it up.
    I understand what you're saying and it worked for you but everyone is different especially men and women most men need more calories than women. Women also deal with water weight that most men don't. Also other factors come into play like environment, age and metabolism not to mention hormones. The original poster has to make a decision and that is a lifestyle change and making a commitment to that and if the calories are too low she will be given extra calories as soon as she works out. I think the problem stems from the amount of weight she wants to take off a week lower that and the calories will increase. Work out and the calories will increase. Anyway just my 2 cents I wish everyone on here success in their weight loss or maintenance journeys. Good/healthy eating to you

Well, I'm not being clear and you are forcing me so thanks.

I also should point out that I never focused on the scale, but rather, the calipers.

Maybe what I should be recommending is some form of setting minimum net cals based on lean body mass.

I do feel though, that the whole starvation mode thing is off somehow, or maybe genetic. Because I am now eating 3000 cals on many days and not putting on fat. I am working my *kitten* off, but I'm also eating lots of ice cream.
  • littlelady2b
    Options

Well, I'm not being clear and you are forcing me so thanks.

I also should point out that I never focused on the scale, but rather, the calipers.

Maybe what I should be recommending is some form of setting minimum net cals based on lean body mass.
    Actually what your saying now makes sense because there are many ways to determine weight loss and that is with the use of calipers versus a scale. Too many people get obsessed with the scale and forget that they could be putting on water weight or muscle mass. It isn't the only way to determine weight loss. Thanks for mentioning that its a good point.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    MFP says to lose 7.4 pounds in a month I have to eat 1200 calories only, unless I exercise. :/
    Seriously? That's starvation and it's not even 10 pounds loss -_-

One pound loss a week is like 1450 -_- that's still super low.

I'll never lose weight... I love food so much ... I probably eat 1700-2000 calories a day!!!

I just went for slower weight loss. I started with 1lb a week weight loss, and dropped down to 1/2 lb a week when I was finding it harder to stick to. (I've sinced changed to TDEE - x%).

Remember that a 2lb a week weight loss means a 1000 calorie deficit. Supposedly women need about 2000 calories a day, so that's a HUGE cut. For most women, it's going to be unrealistic. 1lb a week or 500 calories seems more sustainable to me for many women, although that's still only 1500 calories total. If you burn less calories than average for any reason (older, shorter, high fat %, less active), then even a 500 calorie deficit doesn't leave you with much.

I feel it's better to go for a smaller cut, if you're going to find that easier to stick to. The only disadvantage I can see is slower weight loss, but there are lots of advantages.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700 ish i cant stand to eat less than that
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't so little. If you eat two slices of pizza which can be up to 500 calories, I'm sure you won't be full. But personally, I can cook myself a 400 calorie lunch that'll fill me up til dinner for sure.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I allow so many calories per meal. Breakfast is my least favorite meal so I only allow around 300 calories. I make sure I have more calories left for dinner since this is our biggest meal and I always make sure I work out enough to enjoy a good snack or two. You can still enjoy all the foods you like. You just need to adjust the other meals for the day. It helps to eliminate empty calories, like drinks with sugar. I eliminated butter from my toast (200 calories), creamer from my coffee and sweet tea. Made a world of difference on what I could eat.
  • Nickolas919
    Options
    It can be done,I have been at 800-1000 for the last 6 months, it was lower than that the previous 6 months, but I went down 40pounds before I started going back up, due to building muscle so now I'm slowly going up to 1100. The real trick to having such a low cal count is that every cal is a good one, lots of proteins, some fiber & Carbs, no fat, no sugar
  • Geronimo2013
    Options
    Actually it is the wrong suggestion. 1200 is not a good thing. You are putting your body in starvation mode and this is dangerous.

May I suggest a formula to calculate weight and calories: take your current weight and multiply by 12. The total you get is what you now eat to maintain the weight you are. So simply take off from that number but don't go below 1500 calories. You should see good results very quickly.
    That's what I do
    Geronimo2013:flowerforyou:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Exercise more - get more calories - nom nom nom!

It's really hard for me to even eat more than 250 under maintenance on a non-exercise day but surprisingly easy on an exercise day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP says to lose 7.4 pounds in a month I have to eat 1200 calories only, unless I exercise. :/
    Seriously? That's starvation and it's not even 10 pounds loss -_-

One pound loss a week is like 1450 -_- that's still super low.

I'll never lose weight... I love food so much ... I probably eat 1700-2000 calories a day!!!

Go slower...1 Lb per week. It is much more manageable. Also, exercise...you eat back exercise calories with MFP. MFP is a NEAT method calculator. I'm tired of explaining what that is to people so just google it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It can be done,I have been at 800-1000 for the last 6 months, it was lower than that the previous 6 months, but I went down 40pounds before I started going back up, due to building muscle so now I'm slowly going up to 1100. The real trick to having such a low cal count is that every cal is a good one, lots of proteins, some fiber & Carbs, no fat, no sugar

Actually, fat is an essential nutrient and what you're doing is extremely unhealthy.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Actually, fat is an essential nutrient and what you're doing is extremely unhealthy.

He's also not doing what he says he's doing -- what he actually has is high carbs, moderate fat, low protein.