Strength training question

Options
lessismoreohio
lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello MFP community:

I'm a 51 year old male. I recently begun strength training at Planet Fitness using their strength training machines. I do it enjoy it; probably more than I thought I would. I had a personal trainer show me how to use the equipment so I wouldn't get injured. I'm targeting 3 workouts a week with 3 sets of 12 reps for each piece of equipment (an hour at the gym 3 times a week). My question is this ---> How do I know how much weight to put on each machine? Is it better to have a lower amount of weight and be able to do 3 sets of 12 reps or a higher amount and maybe only 2 sets of 8 or 10 reps? I want to build some muscle and tone up, but I don't want to bulk up too much.

Thank you for your advice; it is appreciated.

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Do your last set to failure. If you can hit about 15 Reps on your last set, increase the weight. If you can't hit the required reps for all your sets, stay at the same weight until you do.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. Are you following a program or making your own. My suggestion is to follow a program ( there's one for machine on this page ) that tells you the reps to use. The one I linked states 8-12 reps. Start with a weight that you can move for 8 reps. Each workout try to add one or more reps. Once you can do 12, up the weight and do 8+ reps. Just keep progressing upward that way.. That program is for beginners whi eventually move to free weights. If you want to stick with it, I'd do 2-3 sets rather than just 1.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    "I don't want to bulk up too much"... I would take more then an hour a day three days a week at a PF to bulk at all.u1dhqlctfqoo.jpg
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can easily bulk on three days a week- I only weight train 3 days a week (6 cardio days a week) and I'm in incredible shape. superset back, chest 30 min (no rest) then 30 min shoulders arms on mon&fri- wednesday do 15 sets of heavy squats 5 sets deadlifts 5 sets stiff legged deadlifts superset the two then isolation movements if time permits

No more than 6 rep-s one week no less than 10 reps next week

The real trick is your diet and protein intake.. Lots of water no alcohol!!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You’re 51 years old, so bulking up isn’t something you need to be concerned about. Strength training is a great goal. The rep range that is most effective in building strength is 1 - 5. Reps higher than 5 will provide more stimulus for hypertrophy (muscle mass).

I’d recommend going heavy enough that you can complete two sets at 5 reps and then around 3 - 5 on the last set. Once you’re getting all three sets at five reps, it is time to up the weight. You should be able to do a full body workout 3 times per week, so long as you’re taking at least one day off (active recovery) between each workout.
  • dave4d
    Options
    You’re 51 years old, so bulking up isn’t something you need to be concerned about. Strength training is a great goal. The rep range that is most effective in building strength is 1 - 5. Reps higher than 5 will provide more stimulus for hypertrophy (muscle mass).

I’d recommend going heavy enough that you can complete two sets at 5 reps and then around 3 - 5 on the last set. Once you’re getting all three sets at five reps, it is time to up the weight. You should be able to do a full body workout 3 times per week, so long as you’re taking at least one day off (active recovery) between each workout.

I would have said something similar, but he is working out at Planet Fitness. It won't take him long to get his strength to the point that Planet Fitness is no longer good enough. If he sticks to higher rep ranges, Planet fitness will be good enough for a while. Plus with the higher reps, he will be able to practice his form, and will be less likely to injure himself. He won't get strong at Planet Fitness, but he can work to gain a little strength and preserve a little muscle as he tries to lose weight.

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP community:

I'm a 51 year old male. I recently begun strength training at Planet Fitness using their strength training machines. I do it enjoy it; probably more than I thought I would. I had a personal trainer show me how to use the equipment so I wouldn't get injured. I'm targeting 3 workouts a week with 3 sets of 12 reps for each piece of equipment (an hour at the gym 3 times a week). My question is this ---> How do I know how much weight to put on each machine? Is it better to have a lower amount of weight and be able to do 3 sets of 12 reps or a higher amount and maybe only 2 sets of 8 or 10 reps? I want to build some muscle and tone up, but I don't want to bulk up too much.

Thank you for your advice; it is appreciated.

Find a novice strength training program you believe you will adhere to, and do what that says to do.
  • lessismoreohio
    Options
    Thank you for replying to my questions; I appreciate your input.
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options
    30mphmike wrote: »
    You can easily bulk on three days a week- I only weight train 3 days a week (6 cardio days a week) and I'm in incredible shape. superset back, chest 30 min (no rest) then 30 min shoulders arms on mon&fri- wednesday do 15 sets of heavy squats 5 sets deadlifts 5 sets stiff legged deadlifts superset the two then isolation movements if time permits

No more than 6 rep-s one week no less than 10 reps next week

The real trick is your diet and protein intake.. Lots of water no alcohol!!!

Hahaha this guy is new... And works out at plant fitness. So I'm not sure who you're giving this advise too. Hahaha I don't think he know most of what you said. Also, it's plant fitness. There are no squat rack and I'm use there's not a place to dead lift.
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you for replying to my questions; I appreciate your input.

For what you are looking to do a rep count of 12 to 20 will do. And doing 2 sets of each. Start with 12 reps then move to 16 then 20. This will build muscle endurance. Do this for a month then up the weight and do 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12. And make sure the weight is heavy enough that when you have 2 or 3 left its hard to complete and still have good form. This will give you a good place to start.
  • jorbjorb
    jorbjorb Posts: 26
    Options
    Low reps for strength although I like switching from high reps to low reps every other week.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    dave4d wrote: »

I would have said something similar, but he is working out at Planet Fitness. It won't take him long to get his strength to the point that Planet Fitness is no longer good enough. If he sticks to higher rep ranges, Planet fitness will be good enough for a while. Plus with the higher reps, he will be able to practice his form, and will be less likely to injure himself. He won't get strong at Planet Fitness, but he can work to gain a little strength and preserve a little muscle as he tries to lose weight.

My guess is he won’t out grow PF for quite some time. It takes a commitment to get stronger when you’re on a calorie deficit. His age and concerns about getting swole will keep that from happening.
  • eddiestrcklnd1024
    Options
    Start with the smallest weight possible and add five pounds at each workout. You get stronger and can work out for longer without hurting yourself. After you get too strong for the machine switch to dumbells and barbells.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Trial and error. Are you following a program or making your own. My suggestion is to follow a program ( there's one for machine on this page ) that tells you the reps to use. The one I linked states 8-12 reps. Start with a weight that you can move for 8 reps. Each workout try to add one or more reps. Once you can do 12, up the weight and do 8+ reps. Just keep progressing upward that way.. That program is for beginners whi eventually move to free weights. If you want to stick with it, I'd do 2-3 sets rather than just 1.

This is what I was taught to do on the machines in a class I took in college.
  • dave4d
    Options
    dave4d wrote: »

My guess is he won’t out grow PF for quite some time. It takes a commitment to get stronger when you’re on a calorie deficit. His age and concerns about getting swole will keep that from happening.

You are probably right. I quickly outgrew Planet Fitness because I tried sticking to free-weight exercises as much as possible. Once I hit my goal weight and started focusing on strength, Planet Fitness was no longer enough for my needs.
  • lessismoreohio
    Options
    You guys have given me great advice. Much thanks.