lunch suggestions

Options
I find myself eating a lot of processed lunch meats, and I really want to try and get away from those. What things have you found that are easy to take for lunch, high in protein, and yet, aren't lunch meat?

Replies

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Single serving tuna or salmon pouches are great salad toppers if you like fish. And there are some lunch meats that are not processed. You can also purchase a small cooked ham or turkey breast and have the butcher slice it for you ... typically it is free.
  • Irisdupree33
    Irisdupree33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nope, can't do fish. I did buy some rotisserie chicken and pulled it off and froze it to use for salads. Just trying to get away from the boring same old same old.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Falafal - texture like a hush puppy, but it's made of chickpeas. Often eaten as a filling in pita bread, with things like tzatziki (cucumber, dill, and yogurt dressing).

Or veggies and/or pita bread dipped in hummus, also chickpea based.

Bento boxes (Japanese lunch box, with certain traditions in the food involved)! Making up a bento boxes with things like meatballs and veggies, or stir fried rice with a bit of scrambled eggs and some type of roasted or BBQ meat added, or hard boiled eggs or omelets or other egg dishes. Lots of variety, definitely doesn't feel boring, and tasty.

Also, interestingly, the bento box is set up so that if it was followed the traditional way, with a certain ratio of grain to veggie to protein, the size of the box, in ml, is about the same number of calories you'll have in the meal (barring super calorie rich sauces or something).

This is a good site with basic ideas, recipes, and links to places one can order bento boxes (low end is usually $15, but have super super fancy ones at over $100). This page also talks about that ratio for the ml vs. calorie thing. ^_^
    http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics
  • Irisdupree33
    Irisdupree33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The bentonite boxes are interesting. I love falafel just wasn't sure how easy it was to fix and take. I'll have to find a good recipe.