Fighting craving!!!!! Help

so all I can think about is binging on cake and chips and cheese and basically anything bad for me.... It's been 18 days and I have only allowed myself 3 cheat meals.. How does everyone else fight the cravings???? I've lost between 5-8lbs and want to keep it up but omg I miss bing eating Sooo much!!!! :(

Replies

• ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    I've just learned to adjust. I used to eat 1 meal a day and 90% of the time it was fast food. I'm now to 3 meals with snacks and I limit eating out. Honestly at this point eating the sweets and chips and fast food doesn't even sound appetizing.

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    You "miss" binge eating?? Erm... That's a worry.

You can have cake. Include it in your calories. You can have cheese and chips. Incorporate it into your calories.

There's no need to binge eat. Binge eating is why we end up on MFP complaining we are fat.

Stop telling yourself you can't have the foods you enjoy. You can have them. Just in smaller quantities.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    I fight the cravings by eating them within my caloric and macro needs....
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I fight the cravings by eating them within my caloric and macro needs....

This. Just this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    aimeerace wrote: »
    You "miss" binge eating?? Erm... That's a worry.

You can have cake. Include it in your calories. You can have cheese and chips. Incorporate it into your calories.

There's no need to binge eat. Binge eating is why we end up on MFP complaining we are fat.

Stop telling yourself you can't have the foods you enjoy. You can have them. Just in smaller quantities.

All of this.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    I find eating some good quality 75% dark chocolate helps keep my sweet cravings down.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2015
    Fit the foods you like in to your calorie goals.

Then willpower.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Cravings are hard. But it seems to me that the longer I stay away from the "bad" stuff (I know nothing is bad, but not the healthiest food) the longer I don't always look for it. Luckily, I love veggies and I will munch on them when I want a craving (carrots, almost all of the green ones, cauliflower, etc.) Eat them raw or roasted them in the oven. Many feel sweet and I stay within my calories allotted. Also, pretzels are pretty good for the salty cravings. Cheese, well I count string cheese a good thing. Any thing in moderation. Good luck ;)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Cravings I fight with a tiny bit of good stuff. Lindt 75% dark chocolate, 1-2 squares, yum!!

For binges, this is what I have recommended in the past:

Go do something then! Go walk around the mall, the block, or do something that engages the mind and the hands at the same time... I find that a good workout can dull my appetite.

Blast music and sing and dance along in your room. Give yourself a manicure and pedicure... (can't eat with wet nails!). Write in a journal (how you're feeling, maybe there's a pattern to your cravings).
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    hang in there...it does get easier.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    By the way, I don't understand the concept of cheat meals. Everything in moderation, and stay under my calorie allowance, and if I want to celebrate once in a while, eat at maintenance, but I don't go way over maintenance.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    When I lost crazy weight before my wedding a few years ago, I dieted for the first time ever and the cravings were almost unbearable. I went through an emotional roller coaster every day and it pretty much just totally sucked. After about a month of this I feel like my tastebuds "forgot" what a lot of those really yummy/naughty foods were like so it was harder to crave them. My husband (bodybuilder) kept telling me that your body craves what you give it the most and at the time I just gave him dirty looks lol but in the end it did start to make sense and I really did start craving things like salmon, broccoli, etc.. That I had just had the day before. It took about a month for the major cravings to subside for me but it was brutal.

Also 3 other things that helped me too was 1) learning about keeping my blod sugar from spiking throughout the day be making sure to eat at least every 4 hours and 2) mixing a little fat with my snacks in order to help stay satiated and 3) understanding when I was having emotional hunter vs real physical hunger. This little chart (I'll post it once I can figure it out, new on MFP) really hit home for me and maybe you will recognize some signs too. Hope this is helpful to you and hang in there! You're still in the worst phase of it now but like the other posters have said, it will get better!
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    7h84s3pus5rs.jpg
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    edited March 2015
    the more you don't allow yourself something the more you want it usually, lol. i know anytime i tell myself i can't have a food i just think about it until i give in and eat it. but if you eat it in moderation & proper portions within your cals it's soooo much better. when i get a craving i let myself have it, but don't go overboard. and if i'm still craving it after i have it, i allow myself whatever amount fits into my caloric goals for the next few days, week etc however long until the craving subsides & i get bored of it. it works for me! i know a while back i thought if i ate bread/toast or ice cream or chocolate every day i'd gain fat/weight regardless if it fit into my calories for the day. but it was just a silly thought stuck in my head. food doesnt make you fat, eating over what your burn in a day in excess is what makes you gain.

but if there are foods that trigger your binge eating, try not to eat them so often. binge eating is never healthy if you overeat & hurt yourself! the only real reason you'd need to limit certain foods is if you have medical reasons that inhibit you from eating them often.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I eat the things. Some I'll eat in moderation and make it fit (gelato, squares of chocolate, etc). I do have substitutions (that word gets a bad wrap-I like to think "it is what it is") because I like to eat high volume and I truly enjoy them: arnolds lite bread with laughing cow cheese, 99% chocolate, chocolate frozen yogurt. Anything I can eat the whole thing of.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat the things. Some I'll eat in moderation and make it fit (gelato, squares of chocolate, etc). I do have substitutions (that word gets a bad wrap-I like to think "it is what it is") because I like to eat high volume and I truly enjoy them: arnolds lite bread with laughing cow cheese, 99% chocolate, chocolate frozen yogurt. Anything I can eat the whole thing of.

i do this too & come up with lower calorie versions of things i enjoy so that i can eat MORE of it cus i too love high volumes of food & i'm not picky. plus it's fun to experiment & see what works and what doesn't. indulging is great, but so is stuffing your face. :blush: