Who knew pinto beans have so many calories?

Options
I ate nearly two cups of pinto beans today, and it's over 300 calories!!!! BUT I must say, I haven't felt hungry all day. In fact, if I can eat a banana for dinner, I'm good. I guess all beans have a lot of calories, but wow, if they can keep you from feeling hungry, the calories are so worth it!

Replies

• ashliij
    ashliij Posts: 54
    Options
    Beans are pretty great, really, so long as you don't dress them up too much. I usually eat half a can of dark red kidney beans heated on the stove with garlic powder, cayenne, and wilted spinach (about three cups). I've eaten the whole can's worth some days, but most of the time I find it near impossible. Just enjoy that protein and don't worry about the calories :) it really isn't that bad, I think, if you make it a meal!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate that! They are about the same number of calories as a NUMBER of other meals which don't fill you up and you are hungry an hour later. Beans, beans, are good for your heart . . . hah!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I loooooooooove beans, but I watch my carbs and I stretch my beans with non-starchy veggies like mushrooms, onions, celery, spinach, and tomatoes. I can make a small serving of beans go on a long way.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I loooooooooove beans, but I watch my carbs and I stretch my beans with non-starchy veggies like mushrooms, onions, celery, spinach, and tomatoes. I can make a small serving of beans go on a long way.

Sounds delicious! There's a place nearby where I live that sells home-grown shitake mushrooms; they are the best! I bet the crockpot would be great for combining beans with all that you said. Make a big pot, then freeze them, yes! Thanks so much!
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yep beans are pretty great, they have tons of fiber to fill you up plus they're delicious. I also love purple hull peas, I could eat a whole can of those if I don't watch myself. They are indeed calorie dense, so pair them with lower calorie sides like broccoli or a side salad or steamed/boiled carrots, etc.

One of the big mistakes the typical American makes is pairing starchy foods like beans with other starchy foods. My local supermarket deli routinely serves beans plus mashed potatoes plus breaded fried chicken plus cornbread for example. All of those are starchy (including the breading on the chicken), thus the calorie count skyrockets.
  • atypicalsmith
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've never hear of purple hull peas! I'll have to look that up. I love avocados in my salad, along with sliced almonds and fat-free ranch dressing. Adding beans to the mix, as well as purple hull peas (if I can find them here) would be ideal.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Availability of the peas would probably depend on your location. They're most common in the southern US states (I live in Mississippi). They're similar to black eyed peas, but in many people's opinions, they are far more flavorful. The kind I get in a can are Bush's brand Purple Hull Peas.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I'm in NC, so I can probably find them. I love peas!
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Legumes such as kidney beans are low in methionine and cysteine but high in lysine. Grains such as pasta are low in lysine but high in methionine and cysteine. When you combine the two, they become a complementary protein or complete protein. When you combine grains with legumes, or legumes with nuts or seeds, you will get a complete, high quality protein. Complementary Proteins are important for people who consume little to no animal protein. Black beans and rice, my favorite !
  • abbasbaby210
    abbasbaby210 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love beans! I'm planning on cooking the 15 Bean Soup sometime next week and after reading all the post and the pkg label 1/2 cup is 120 cals (in the past I have wolfed down a cup easily) I know I need to just do 1\2 cup. Down side of eating a cup is 240 cals, up side 18 gms of fiber. But what's a good vegetable to eat along side them and will a 1\2 cup alone hold me? Unfamilar with Purple Hull Beans. Thought I'd see them on the 15 Bean Soup... but no. Will look for Bush's nrand
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I plan on finding the Purple Hull Peas in a can tomorrow, slicing up some onions, getting a can or two of either pinto or black beans or both (rinsed out first, of course) and red tomatoes, and making a BIG POT of them in my largest crock pot, then freezing them. Yes! thank you so much for all your suggestions!
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    That's funny, I chose pinto beans for dinner tonight because I don't have that many calories left and to me they are low-calorie because I can get fairly filled with an under 300-cal serving. (Of course, I like to round them out with high-fat foods like cheese, sour cream, and avocado, so I do have to measure and ration the toppings carefully.)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    That's funny, I chose pinto beans for dinner tonight because I don't have that many calories left and to me they are low-calorie because I can get fairly filled with an under 300-cal serving. (Of course, I like to round them out with high-fat foods like cheese, sour cream, and avocado, so I do have to measure and ration the toppings carefully.)

Pinto beans are sooo very good!!!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Agh I LOVE pintos! I make my own version of the ones bojangles does -- garlic and onion powder, chili powder, some crushed red pepper, and hot sauce. Super spicy and super good!
  • mistydm76
    mistydm76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am from NM, therefore beans and chili are part of my regular diet. The only thing that kills me is the tortilla! Eat beans they are great for your diet.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...I love beans, too! They are truly the magical fruit. I don't consider 150 cal/cup very high calorie at all, given all the wonderful nutrition, fiber, protein, energy, and deliciousness they contain.

I'm so totally making a giant batch of 3 bean chili this week (pinto--of course the best one ;) , black, and kidney beans).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Beans are good for you. And I also don't consider 150 calories a cup high in calories.

I made a 5 bean soup for dinner. Beans, and lots of yummy vegetables.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Legumes such as kidney beans are low in methionine and cysteine but high in lysine. Grains such as pasta are low in lysine but high in methionine and cysteine. When you combine the two, they become a complementary protein or complete protein. When you combine grains with legumes, or legumes with nuts or seeds, you will get a complete, high quality protein. Complementary Proteins are important for people who consume little to no animal protein. Black beans and rice, my favorite !

My mom and I were very poor when i was growing up. We would do pasta and a can of Bush's baked beans. I am now very nostalgic for that meal...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me that I need to buy some new beans to try. I had some red kidney beans last time. I think I might try navy or cranberry beans next.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    This thread reminds me that I need to buy some new beans to try. I had some red kidney beans last time. I think I might try navy or cranberry beans next.

Make New Orleans style red beans and rice (using kidney beans ONLY!) from scratch. Yes, including the beans! Delicious and freezes well.