JM 30 Day Shred Help

Options
I just downloaded Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and I had to download level 1 2 and 3. Can someone who has done it tell me how this works? Do I do level 1 for 30 days and then repeat on level 2 etc? Or is there another way to do it?

Replies

• lynnelynsey
    Options
    level1 for 10 days then level 2 for 10 days.same level3.i loved it but got terrible pains in my legs.good luck.x
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Well the plan is to do each one for ten days each...also, for calories burned go to cardio and put it under circuit training....you'll need a mat if you have hard floors and some weights...but at first you might not want to use them until youre ok with the moves...the first couple days of each video you'll be sore!!Lol but you'll get through it...I'm part of the 30 day shred group...I'm on level 2 day 9 add me if you like! :) for rest days...jillian says to take 2 days per week...level 1 I did straight through and rested after day 10...I was planning to do that again with level 2 but TOM came so I took a break :(...I've lost 5 1/2 inches after level 1..I'm measuring after every level....hope this helps!!
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question and for the answer. I am planning to start the 30DS soon (read next Monday) but I have a problem with the push up. Cannot do them, not even the beginner ones. What do I substitute that with?
  • skymel14
    skymel14 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi!

For push ups you can start on your knees (it's called a modified push-up). You just try to keep your back/tummy as straight as possible. As your core starts to get stronger (with planks and everything else) then you can move up to full push-ups.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!
  • skymel14
    skymel14 Posts: 30
    Options
    There's a 30 day shred group??? How do I join??
  • HeatherLynn82281
    HeatherLynn82281 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well the plan is to do each one for ten days each...also, for calories burned go to cardio and put it under circuit training....you'll need a mat if you have hard floors and some weights...but at first you might not want to use them until youre ok with the moves...the first couple days of each video you'll be sore!!Lol but you'll get through it...I'm part of the 30 day shred group...I'm on level 2 day 9 add me if you like! :) for rest days...jillian says to take 2 days per week...level 1 I did straight through and rested after day 10...I was planning to do that again with level 2 but TOM came so I took a break :(...I've lost 5 1/2 inches after level 1..I'm measuring after every level....hope this helps!!

I found a few 30 day shred groups... can you send me a request for the one you're in?
  • SutapaMukherji
    Options
    Hi!

For push ups you can start on your knees (it's called a modified push-up). You just try to keep your back/tummy as straight as possible. As your core starts to get stronger (with planks and everything else) then you can move up to full push-ups.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip, but as I said, I cannot do even the beginner ones done by Anita. I can get in that position and try doing it but cannot manage as they hurt my knees a lot. So, I am looking for substitutes that I could do during that time. Hope I have been able to explain my situation.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have knee problems (had JRA as a child and ended up being knock kneed as a result), and I find that the modified ones that Anita does are actually more painful!! I've been doing wall push ups for now and trying to build core strength so I can hopefully do actual push ups soon!

If you have knee pain, seriously, don't be afraid to modify things even beyond what Anita does! A lot of JM programs seem pretty rough on that area. (I literally call her a liar when she says not to modify jumping jacks. :grumble: ) I've had great results so far even with all the modifications.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip, but as I said, I cannot do even the beginner ones done by Anita. I can get in that position and try doing it but cannot manage as they hurt my knees a lot. So, I am looking for substitutes that I could do during that time. Hope I have been able to explain my situation.

I can honestly tell you that before I started 30 day shred, I was TERRIBLE at push-ups.... Just try to do as many as you can (even the modified ones). Even if you get one that is still awesome!!!!! There will be different type of push-ups throughout the entire program. Just try to do as many as you can. I can promise that you will get better... If you are having a hard time with the knees, try putting a folded towel/blanket on the ground to help cushion your knees...
  • cook6609
    Options
    The ideal way to complete 30 Day Shred is to complete Level 1 for 10 days, Level 2 for 10 days, and Level 3 for 10 days (30 days :wink: ). Some people go 30 days straight (I did that), while others take one or two rest days a week. I know some people even do the 30 Day Shred every other day and just straight cardio on the other days. Work it how you want it to. You will still get results!!! Feel free to message me if you have any more questions...

As far as the 30 Day Shred Group, just click on "GROUPS" at the top of the page and search for 30 Day Shred. Good luck everyone
  • pseepferdchen
    pseepferdchen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem with push ups on your knees, you can always try to do them standing. Stand up, lean forward and grab with your hands on to the back of a sofa or armchair and do the push ups that way.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Do you have a staircase? If so you can put your feet at the base of them, lean over and use the corner of a step and do a push up. I had to use that at first as had had trouble with ones on the ground, or as suggestion, using a wall.
  • SutapaMukherji
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I am using the wall and the kitchen cabinet alternately for the pushups and it is really helping. Jumping jacks is okay with me, but did I tell you that at the end of Day 1 my tummy feels like a road roller went over it?? :grumble:

Another thing that I wanted to know is: Did all of you guys manage to do the entire of Level 1 at one go? :noway:

I couldn't. Had to stop once or twice in between as was panting badly; but thankfully I used a timer and it says that I took a 4-5minute break during the entire course. (You know like 30secs here and a minute there kinds).

So I am thinking of doing Level 1 for 15 days and then take a day or two break before going to Level 2. Any issues if I do it this way? Advice and help needed. Thanks in advance :smile:
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's okay to take breaks!! You're a human not a robot! Lol
  • Swanie76
    Swanie76 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    as stated 10 days per level. I did 12 of level 1 before moving on. I am now mixing it up with LS walking. I did notice a difference in 30 days not just on the scale.
  • cook6609
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I am using the wall and the kitchen cabinet alternately for the pushups and it is really helping. Jumping jacks is okay with me, but did I tell you that at the end of Day 1 my tummy feels like a road roller went over it?? :grumble:

Another thing that I wanted to know is: Did all of you guys manage to do the entire of Level 1 at one go? :noway:

I couldn't. Had to stop once or twice in between as was panting badly; but thankfully I used a timer and it says that I took a 4-5minute break during the entire course. (You know like 30secs here and a minute there kinds).

So I am thinking of doing Level 1 for 15 days and then take a day or two break before going to Level 2. Any issues if I do it this way? Advice and help needed. Thanks in advance :smile:

I will tell you this from experience, you probably will not be able to complete Level 1 without taking breaks until at least day 5. I had to take breaks all the time. I just kept pushing through it though. I would take the breaks and then continue on with the workout. While you can do Level 1 for 15 days, I don't really see why you would have to do that. The whole point of the work out is to push you to your limit. That is "when change happens" according to the wonderful JM...lol...

It is your workout ultimately, If you feel like you can accomplish more by doing each level for 15 days, then by all means go for it. I do know that once I reached Day 9 and 10 of level 1, I was ready to move on. That's coming from a person who wasn't very active before starting 30 DS. Good luck
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question and for the answer. I am planning to start the 30DS soon (read next Monday) but I have a problem with the push up. Cannot do them, not even the beginner ones. What do I substitute that with?

Wall push-ups if you can't do the girlie ones on your knees.

Then progress from the wall to a desk top ..... work your way to the floor.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It's tough at first when you're just starting out exercising - the movements just aren't natural at first and if you're like me with the co-ordination of a giraffe break dancing, it takes a while to get form right.

For the push-ups, I started doing them against a wall - standing arms length back and did them that way. Then onto the stairs (3rd stair up then worked my way down to the bottom one as my upper body got stronger). After I'd mastered those, and it took quite a lot of times at each stage before I moved on, then I found doing 'proper' push-ups doable. They're still hard, but at least the form is right and I can manage 10-15 at a time now and getting stronger every week.

I didn't stick to the prescribed 10days of each level either as I didn't feel I had quite mastered L1 at 10 days so kept at it until I could do it the whole way through without stopping before I moved onto L2, then L3. You'll know when you're ready :)