Looking for good core exercises

Options
I have mild lower back pain and I think getting my core stronger will help alleviate this and add other benefits also. I just wanted to get an idea of some good core exercises that have helped other people.

My workout routine involves lifting weights 3 to 4 times a week, and Zumba three times a week at a gym. I will be introducing yoga and core exercises 1 to 2 times a week.

Give me your best core exercises :)

Replies

• benjam2421
    benjam2421 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ab roller
    and stretch your hips and legs and butt
    fixed my problem with low back pain
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I focus on my compound lifts. Maybe hanging knee raises once a week, some work at the captains chair once a week. That's all.
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options
    Those are all good core workouts, but if low back pain is an those may be a bit hard on the back. You might want to start with working the stabilizer muscles of the core. So, none moving core work lime planks... Starting small... Holding each plank for 10 to 15 seconds and doing 2 to sets of a minutes. So if hold it for 10 do 6 reps to get your minute 15 do 4 until you can go 30 seconds. Then advance it. The leg lifts are good too once your core is stronger. Other wise you may end up swinging your legs and that does nothing. The dead bug is also a good one and does not hurt most people's back. Good luck.
  • Hardenton
    Hardenton Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ab roller is a good exercise.

Also Yoga, stretching, foam rolling, etc. will greatly help

More importantly don't do things that will worsen your lower back situation. For e.g. always make sure to maintain good posture, don't lift heavy objects (body weight squats are good enough), don't wear high heels, don't carry heavy backpack, etc.

I personally find minimus shoes are the best option available for training.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Planks. Weighted planks.

Or even better, Chinese reverse planks:
    Weighted-Reverse-Plank-Chinese-Weightlifting.jpg
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There are some beginner Pilates videos on Youtube that focus on core.