Working out w back problems then vs now

Options
Recently I found out I have scoliosis down in my lower back between the L1-the very last piece of the middle of the back. I've apparently had this forever, so I've worked out before as if I didn't have it.
But I took a fall about two months ago and thats when they found it. My backs been a bit more sensitive since then. I want to start working out again, because I'm finally feeling better from a nice round of illness. But I'm afraid to do some of the moves I love, like Russian Twists, and hurt or damage my back. I would ask a doctor (because I know that will be a recommendation) but all they ever seem to tell me is "if you do it and it starts to feel uncomfortable, avoid it" they don't give me what I'd consider a real answer, like you know, explaining how my spine moves differently so I can be aware.
I'm thinking to just go for it like I use to and not worry about it, but I'm nervous.
Has anyone had experiences with this or have any ideas that could be helpful?

Replies

• RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I say keep going as if you didn't know you had the scoliosis. You've been getting along just fine doing those before your diagnosis.

My back and hips are a hot mess. My chiropractor says that the entire time I've known him, my hips have a tendency to go WAY out of alignment. So far out that they actually made my knee pop out of the channel! So basically, that means if I feel something "off" in my hips or lower, or my trainer sees bad body mechanics, I need to go get adjusted. But even with these issues in my back, I am squatting 235lbs, can deadlift 205lbs, and leg press 568lbs.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Very nice! My knees and hips are off kilter to, mine does the same popping out this bc I have patella instability (my kneecaps 1.5" higher on my knee than it should be). I was thinking pretend it's no there either. And if anything I'll keep some lower back exercises in my regular routine so it's nice and strong back there (which may be the whole reason I never noticed before). It's good to know I can achieve a strong healthy body with my body not cooperating. :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I won't give you approval to work out - only a medical professional should do that.
    It's generally not wise for a person to resume working out as if they weren't injured. They were.. and once injured, the area is often never the same.. which is why reinjuries are so common. So adjustments to one's program are often necessary. Rotational movements like the Russian twist do tend to be riskier for the back than anti-rotation, so if your doctor can't give you the advice you seek, consider going to a sports medicine clinic, a sports-oriented orthopedist, etc.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have different back issues but there are moves I KNOW I will never be able to do. Russian Twists is one of these moves. I understand what you are going through when you say your doctors aren't being helpful on the types of exercise you should avoid. I had to go through a series of very painful trial and error processes. I then had the chance to ask another doctor with a background in sports and been told no hip hinging with a load (like deadlifts), no load pushing with my legs (like weighted squats or leg press), no exercises where the center of gravity is on my hips or lower back (like situps) and that eliminated a whole world of potential pain. I still had to learn how to run like a toddler learning to walk, being aware of every single muscle in my body not to land "wrong" and end up bed bound for weeks.. I did end up bed bound a few times but the learning process was worth it! So expect a few "no's" (if any), a few "maybe's" and a few surprises, but chances are if you never had issues before you are likely to have very few issues now, some of which would be "in your head" since you are aware of your condition now.

Try to ask a different doctor and see what answers you receive. It may truly be that there is nothing off-limit unless it hurts on point, or it may be so individual that only you will know what works and what doesn't. Still, asking questions wouldn't hurt!