Knee strengtheners

Options
I am over 50. I am doing well 3 months into serious working out etc. But, my knees are giving me trouble. Not just hurting, but feeling wobbly and giving out. Can anyone recommend good knee strengthening low impact work outs? I don't run,I do treadmill, elliptical and reclining bike. Thanks!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re having issues with your knees, you should discuss with a physical therapist. You can’t really strengthen knees, just use good form on exercises to avoid damaging the joint. Tendons and ligaments don’t get as much blood flow as muscles, so they are prone to damage if not treated well. It sounds like the movements you’re doing might not be good form for the exercise and could cause bigger issues later. Get help with your form before you add any weight.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Balance work and strengthen your hamstrings as a start.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have an old knee injury and when I wanted to start working out again I saw a PT. She suggested strength exercises for hamstrings and quads. She also suggested that if I'm standing around (like brushing my teeth, etc) to try balancing on one leg. The idea is to train your leg to be reactive, not only strengthen (I think...).

Definitely see a PT!