Anyone else get scared?

Options
Hey guys!

So I have been big all my life - since I was about 4 - for the last 8 years I have been pretty much the same. For the last 2 months I have been eating well and exercising and I can see my body changing. There is a huge part of my that is very proud and can't wait for more changes but there is another part of me (which this second feels about the same size as the positive) which feels very scared, I have no idea what it is like to be of an average weight. I know this seems like a ridiculous thing to be worrying about, and i am confident that I will work through it as I have a new found love for exercise and I do not wish to give that up. But never the less I am still scared about looking good I suppose. I realise this is all wrapped up in emotional crap but does anyone else have similar concerns?

Good luck guys!

Keep smiling : D

Replies

• bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know I am. Maybe just because most change, while it can be exciting, brings with it a certain amount of fear of the unknown. In this case, it's like we're getting in the car, not sure how far we're going or how long it will take to get 'there' wherever there may be. We're not quite sure how we're going to get there, are our mental mechanics good enough for the trip?, do we have enough gas( gumption) to make it the whole way? will there be detours?, are we ready for them?, do we have adequate support?, where will we end up, will we end up driving in circles, back to where we started, will the people we travel with or meet along the way be kind or difficult? Lots of uncertainty there. But MFP is sort of like our 'AAA' policy - there to help us if we need roadside assistance. And, I guess this is also where faith comes in. We know where we are, isn't where we want to be, and that we're going to need to expend some effort, and be willing to experience some discomfort, to get somewhere else. So, we agree to go for the ride and trust it will be worthwhile, that we'll learn a lot along the way, and even if we end up back where we started, we'll know more about how to take good care of our selves when we decide to try again. :-)
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You want to know what has really surprised me? I have noticed how uncomfortable I am when people say something to me about my weight loss. Not really scary but just uncomfortable. I'm really surprised that I feel this way. I usually say something like, "I don't want to talk about it because I'm doing really well and I don't want to jinx it!", but now I know that people are noticing and I'm not at ease. I know they don't mean any harm by it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to let it stand in the way because I have much more to lose but it's WEIRD!!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on that. I've always been the bigger girl in the group, and I can't really remember a time I was skinny except in Elementary school (and even then I was bigger than most). I feel like being overweight came with a certain amount of invisibility - I didn't get much attention, and I got used to it and came to appreciate it. I don't know what a skinny body feels like. o:
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    well....like you, when I realize people are noticing the weight I've lost, that if I'm not successful at this, they ( along with I) might somehow judge me.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you are coming from. There is a lot of mental adjusting that no one really tells you about. I find it really hard to get used to the attention when you're used to being part of the background. If I get male attention I tend to first think they are having a laugh instead of actually interested in me.
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know I am. Maybe just because most change, while it can be exciting, brings with it a certain amount of fear of the unknown. In this case, it's like we're getting in the car, not sure how far we're going or how long it will take to get 'there' wherever there may be. We're not quite sure how we're going to get there, are our mental mechanics good enough for the trip?, do we have enough gas( gumption) to make it the whole way? will there be detours?, are we ready for them?, do we have adequate support?, where will we end up, will we end up driving in circles, back to where we started, will the people we travel with or meet along the way be kind or difficult? Lots of uncertainty there. But MFP is sort of like our 'AAA' policy - there to help us if we need roadside assistance. And, I guess this is also where faith comes in. We know where we are, isn't where we want to be, and that we're going to need to expend some effort, and be willing to experience some discomfort, to get somewhere else. So, we agree to go for the ride and trust it will be worthwhile, that we'll learn a lot along the way, and even if we end up back where we started, we'll know more about how to take good care of our selves when we decide to try again. :-)

Thanks! I totally needed to hear this today -- and will probably print it out because I need to hear it lots of days. If only I had a 'AAA policy' for my non-weight/food issues, too!

Edited for typo.
  • smsamantham
    smsamantham Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm glad others feel the same! I agree with the reactions to when people tell me I've lost weight!

The mental side of things I'm not happy with - but I love everything else about it!