Help

Options
at the end of the day should I track the amount of calorie vs the number of carbs/fats/protein? To get accurate number of cal I have eaten? (Some of the food like fiber one cereal 60calorie and it has like 25carb per serving)

Replies

• JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Carbs, fat and protein are all part of the total calories. When you enter a food, it automatically records the calories as well as the macros breakdown.

Some follow the If It Fits Your Macros, others follow total calories. It's a personal option of what works for you.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JustMe2691 wrote: »
    Carbs, fat and protein are all part of the total calories. When you enter a food, it automatically records the calories as well as the macros breakdown.

This, carbs and protein = 4cal/gram fat = 9 cal/gram

If the calories and macros don't add up you need to find a more accurate entry to use in your diary
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think the OP is asking which method is best. I would go with the most accurate food entry. Just be sure to double check the accuracies of the entries you are inputting.

I personally have added the majority of my foods into the database because a lot of the entries are either outdated, lacking nutritional values or just complete hogwash...example being there are entries in the data base like "Generic-Human head" or "Human souls" etc they are hilarious but shows you that you can practically put anything into the database including incorrect values.

ETA: Even with the macro values there are always a little discrepancies, the entry system for nutritional values rounds up/down values if they are minute eg 0.6gms of protien will be rounded up to 1gm and vice versa 0.4gms will be rounded down to 0gm.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    at the end of the day should I track the amount of calorie vs the number of carbs/fats/protein? To get accurate number of cal I have eaten? (Some of the food like fiber one cereal 60calorie and it has like 25carb per serving)

Many foods that have a high fiber content do not count all the fiber calories because those aren't absorbed by your body. Most insoluable fiber passes through your body unabsorbed. That's how it aids in digestion.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I normally eat balanced meals but calories are all I really pay attention to in MFP.