Running Fuel

Options
I need help with a good diet for running. I'm drinking plenty of water, stretching, etc...I just feel like some days my legs are like..."Nope. Not today my friend"...and then it feels like I have 20 pound ankle weights on.

My MFP is set up for 50/30/20 (Carbs, Fat, Protein). Good, bad, ugly? Is that what I should be aiming for? I do about 5 miles a few times a week with other training in between.

Replies

• kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hmm, what are you eating before running? Are your carbs pretty good?

I'm eating at 50/25/25 (trying to get a decent amount of healthy fats in my diet). Focus on quality carbs before longer runs.

Sometimes our legs just feel heavy. I run 4-5 times a week and am doing a HM in two weeks. I still get side cramps. I still have days where my legs don't want to move (usually after strength training or a speed workout).

I would be considerate of what you are eating before long runs, but it may just be a side effect of getting used to running. How long have you been going?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to go out midmorning after breakfast. Usually a homemade egg Mcmuffin (english muffin, egg, a sprinkle of shredded cheese). Lots of water of course. I have a fair share of garbage carbs but I eat plenty of veggies and fruit throughout the day. I've been running for about a year but not serious until about 6 months ago. I wonder if I'm not stocking up enough carbs the day before/of a run. Or...maybe I'm just not used to having off days like you've described. I have a HM in about two weeks too. You aren't doing Raleigh are you? Lol
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How big of a deficit are you holding and do you eat your calories back?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Everyone has days like that, regardless of what they're eating. Sometimes it has more to do with what activities you did the day before and if you gave yourself enough recovery time from the last run. Some days you just have to power through that feeling before you get into the groove.
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    Options
    My Cardio rocks eating oatmeal but that kills my carbs for the day
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to go out midmorning after breakfast. Usually a homemade egg Mcmuffin (english muffin, egg, a sprinkle of shredded cheese). Lots of water of course. I have a fair share of garbage carbs but I eat plenty of veggies and fruit throughout the day. I've been running for about a year but not serious until about 6 months ago. I wonder if I'm not stocking up enough carbs the day before/of a run. Or...maybe I'm just not used to having off days like you've described. I have a HM in about two weeks too. You aren't doing Raleigh are you? Lol

The English Muffin doesn't sound too bad. You might try doing some more carbs before for a few days and see if that helps. Maybe add a banana to the mix. This article from runner's world actually has some good ideas based on how long you are running:

http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/16-healthy-and-yummy-prerun-meals-and-snacks

I eat plain oatmeal with a banana and scoop of nut butter before every long run (8+) It has worked great for me so far. I usually eat this with coffee before the longer runs about an hour before.

On my shorter runs, I might eat a quick bite--a handful of cereal or half a banana, but this is really if I feel hungry prior. Usually just stick to coffee.

One thing to also consider is electrolytes/fuel during your runs. Are you out past an hour for the 5 miles?

And nope, not doing Raleigh :) I'm in Colorado, so I'm doing a local race out here. Hoping the weather stays nice (no snow) so I can hit my goal time. Is this your first half marathon?
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    I attempted my first half marathon last April. I did pretty minimal training and had a 3:40 time and although not ideal, I was really hoping just to finish. For being short and stumpy, I was pretty happy with it. lol I've been averaging a 15:30 minute mile. Looks like I need to step up the carbs beforehand and give that a shot. Thanks for the article too!
  • drdwngfan
    drdwngfan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are taking rest / recovery days too. They help me when my legs feel like dead weights on runs.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Looking back a couple days in your diary--not sure how diligent you are about tracking, but if you are running, especially trying to do distances, make sure that you are eating 1200 net calories every day. Also, I find that when I overdo "less ideal" foods (cake, candy, cookies...) I don't feel nearly as strong when I'm running as I do when I have "more ideal" carbs (pasta, potatoes/sweet potatoes, whole grains).
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i met with a nutritionist specifically regarding running. Her advice was prepare for running in the morning by consuming easily digestible (read "not high fiber") carbohydrates some time before your run. The small snack can help give a quick jolt to your blood sugar and immediate fuel to use at the start (bear in mind that generally it is good to consume complex carbs on a daily basis to ensure readiness for all types of workouts) But give your body some time to digest it. She also suggested staying away from too much protein and fats prior to a run.

Interestingly, if you've fueled up the night before, the stored glycogen can actually cause your legs to feel heavy in the morning at the start of your run (sounds backward, but true). This may be what you're experiencing, but of course, perhaps not.

Depending on how long you're running at one time, you may need to refuel mid run. There's tons of different ways to do this from gummies to gus to gatorade. A general rule of thumb is approximately 20g of carbs every half hour or so during a run.

Equally important is to replete your carbs and protein post run.

Sorry if this seemed all over the place. I kept getting interrupted while writing it. Hope it helps. Good luck!
  • jimicarpenter1283
    jimicarpenter1283 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are the best pre run food!! Eat a medium sized sweet potato an hour to hour and a half before your run it really gives the carbs and sugars you need without being to heavy and making you feel bloated. I have started doing this and what an amazing transformation
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are the best pre run food!! Eat a medium sized sweet potato an hour to hour and a half before your run it really gives the carbs and sugars you need without being to heavy and making you feel bloated. I have started doing this and what an amazing transformation

Thanks for the idea. I see you're a neighbor. I live in Clayton!

• jimicarpenter1283
    jimicarpenter1283 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow small world I run at the clayton community center and the clayton community park!!!