Chia Seeds

Options
2»

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I never used them but I researched them and it was noted they can be very dangerous...even cut off your airwaves.
    Never believe everything you read on the internet
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I eat a tablespoon every day, but I hate the way they get caught between my teeth.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    They aren't magic seeds. Weight loss will still come down to eating fewer calories than you need so you are in a calorie deficit.

I do eat them everyday though. I make a chia pudding as a side to my scrambled eggs breakfast. They give me a nice dose of fiber to help me reach my fiber goal each day. They are pretty calorie dense for what you get though, so you have to be very mindful of how much you eat.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I like them because I like fat and fiber in my diet, and chia seeds provides those things. They are high in calories, and you should expect with something that is a source of fat. But to me, that's a good thing.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I heard that when you eat chia seeds, baby chias will grow in your stomach.

Chia pets are friends, not food. :wink:
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    TEy are really not that high in calories, people. I think they're great.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do a cup of SO No Sugar Added Vanilla Coconut Milk, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a coffee scoop of seeds (2tbsp) divided into two small jam jars...soak overnight and have a yummy breakfast pudding. Tastes similar to rice pudding or tapioca. Sometimes I put a sprinkle of my homemade (diet friendly) cocoa mix in for chocolate pudding. I love them. My only problem with them is that they are really only available in bulk in my area's health food store which equates to VERY expensive. I have seen them in small packages in the "common" grocers but the packages are usually "dusty" and that leaves me questioning freshness.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »

Chia shots is what I get. Only 77 calories for 2 shots. That's quite a bit of seeds. I don't consider that high in calories at all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »
    I eat a tablespoon every day, but I hate the way they get caught between my teeth.

Haha so true. It's amazing how many seeds land in the sink when you brush your teeth after having chia seeds, I make sure i don't smile after having them until i brush my teeth!! :laugh: :blush:
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

14gram serving is 70 calories. I find that fairly high, esp. since they don't add any flavor.

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this topic got posted! I've been looking through my food journals trying to figure out how I used to get enough fiber. Didn't remember at all that I used to add chia seeds to everything.. lol Even still had some, they were still in the freezer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Those chia shots are already soaked, aren't they?
    Chia seeds are high calorie, like nuts. Measure with caution.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

14gram serving is 70 calories. I find that fairly high, esp. since they don't add any flavor.

Yes i agree, they are high calorie especially for the portion size. I have one, maybe 2tbs everyday.

• SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I take them sometimes for added fiber.
    Cha Cha Cha Chia!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I always picture a pet growing in my tummy!
    tol3wdg6t1rx.jpeg
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Ryudori wrote: »
    I heard that when you eat chia seeds, baby chias will grow in your stomach.

Chia pets are friends, not food. :wink:

That's why they grow in your stomach, silly.