Calf soreness

Options
I did a nice steady jog a few days ago and since the day after my calves have become extremely tender to the touch. They are not swollen or discolored. There is no firmness like you get with cramping. They all most feel bruised. My wife tried to massage them last night for me and I about went through the roof the pain was too much.

Anyone experience this before? What'd you do to get past it to get back to the run?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    never had anything outside of just regular sore muscles

do you run on your toes?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Was this nice steady jog a new thing or have you been running for awhile? If it was a new exercise and your first time out, it's likely just soreness from the new exercise - especially if you did too much too soon.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,586 Member
    Options
    Mild strain probably. Sounds like you do more than your body could handle. Rest completely (legs) and see it goes during the week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller and use that very gently.
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k on Saturday. it was my first time running since the roads got all snowy in December and I'm a mess right now. I have super sore calves- I've been hobbling around and yelling at the kids not to jump /sit on my legs.

I've done this to myself before...and what helps me is some yoga and stretching, light exercise to loosen things up, ibuprofen...and time. It sucks but you'll feel better. So will I.

Hopefully sooner rather than later.
  • lancelotschu81
    lancelotschu81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe Plantar fasciitis? I know my calves Felt burned out and tired and the real problem was the bottom of my foot and the tendons and ligaments that went all with it. But mine did not hurt to the touch. Have you tried foam rolling it? or adjusting your footwear? Icing? Staying off your feet for a day or two?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Zero to running is never a good idea. It might be a strain, but really just sounds like extreme DOMS. Rest, drink plenty of water, do some active recovery, and some self-myofascial release (foam roller, soft ball, lacrosse ball, etc.). Next time, ease into it.
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Its been a few weeks since my last run and yes I run more on my toes due to an extremely high arch I have. My shoes are properly fitted and proper running shoes as well yes. It wasn't a long run and I broke it up. 5 minute warm up walk, 5 minute jog, couple minutes walking repeated a total of 3 times, so not a long jog at all- 15 minutes total time. I know better than to just bust out and go for it. That's why I am so shocked over the soreness from it.
  • Alycyn1980
    Alycyn1980 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend a foam roller. I struggled with calf problems and shin splints and since using this have had neither. If got time use before running and then afterwards & 10mins in the evening. Look for Videos on You Tube for decent exercises. It will hurt to start but will be worth it :)
  • bobthemeh
    Options
    Take a warm bath with Epsom salt.