derp

Options
I don't really know much about myfitnesspal and I like, just made my account, soooo...suggestions?

Replies

• Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Have fun, be active, and healthy! :)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat...Everrryyythinnnggg. Set your calorie goal to something sustainable, not as low as you can possibly handle. One thing that I have been told when I get discouraged is that weight-loss is not always linear. You will lose, gain, lose, gain...sometimes plateau. Be consistent. Hope this advice is helpful.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Try prelogging days as much as possible. It really helps!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    In General:
    Read as many stickies as you can before posting much. Start to weigh and measure your food ASAP. Get into the habit of logging daily. Start with the defaults as far as calorie and macro targets, then tweak them as you learn more about MFP, nutrition, and your preferences.

In the Forums:
    Do not tell anyone what they can or cannot eat. Avoid vague terms like "clean" "processed" etc. because they don't tell anyone anything. There is no one best way to eat.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Have a good time and try to ignore false claims like "you need to eat clean in order to lose weight". Lose some weight if that's your goal, but enjoy life in the meantime and don't deprive yourself. :)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    There is no one best way to eat.
    ^This is an awesome statement. I need to have it put on a plaque or a tee shirt. :)
  • everypoundeveryflaw
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Log everything you eat...Everrryyythinnnggg. Set your calorie goal to something sustainable, not as low as you can possibly handle. One thing that I have been told when I get discouraged is that weight-loss is not always linear. You will lose, gain, lose, gain...sometimes plateau. Be consistent. Hope this advice is helpful.

I'm not exactly clear on how to do that... Log what I eat, I mean
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    You can use the database here on the site or if you have the mobile app, use the barcode of what you are eating if it is available. This is when weighing and measuring can be helpful so you know what a real portion size is. All the above mentioned advice is great too. Read as much as you can here. There are some great folks that will help with anything.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Just start using it. Log whatever you eat, follow your calorie goal, BAM, magic.
    mgc.gif
  • everypoundeveryflaw
    Options
    thanks guys!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Buy a food scale. They are like $20 at Walmart or Target. Weigh everything you eat on the scale to get an accurate idea of how much you are really eating. People have skewed ideas of what four ounces of chicken (or whatever) really looks like.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Here's a digest:

Start with these threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

Logging Accurately with a little more guidance especially when it comes to Searching for and Selecting Food from the database.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Some more words of advice:

1. Weigh yourself at the same time of day wearing the same clothing - i.e., in the morning when you get up, after going to the bathroom and before eating/drinking or getting dressed.

2. Know that your weight will fluctuate daily. You may weigh 4lbs or more higher at night than in the morning. You may retain water (esp. if you start exercising or eat high sodium foods) Some folks like to weigh themselves often; I prefer 1 or 2x a week.

3. Weigh your foods with a food scale (great $20 investment) rather than using measuring cups/spoons. Use cups/spoons for liquids only

4. Be sure to verify the accuracy of the food you enter. I usually enter my own stuff or scan UPC codes with my phone. Since I tend to eat a lot of the same foods over and over, it is relatively easy for me. Home made foods may be harder - enter each item individually in the recipe builder for things like casseroles, etc.

5. Drink lots of water - it does help avoid water retention and helps you feel fuller. Sometimes when you want to munch on snacks you may actually be thirsty...I usually make myself drink a cup or two of water before giving in to an urge to munch. :)

6. Eat the foods you ENJOY and make room for them. Don't force yourself to eat things you hate simply because you think it has to be that way. Take a peek at my diary and see - you have to be sensible...of course...and I focus on trying to meet my nutritional needs (protein, calcium, iron, fiber, fat, potassium, etc) as well as staying below my calories. But sometimes, I treat myself. :)You're allowed!

7. Be wary of the calories MFP allows you for exercise . They are often overinflated...I take about half or less of the calories that MFP gives me for exercise.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    are you really 18?
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    8c14b21cf7c7c08035f7ca78d0d3b06ec2890e32726128ee003b7e7e6b55c591.jpg
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Better get to work losing that 1lb you want to lose. Good luck!

Lol smh :disappointed: