How do you turn effort into habit?

Options
I have been on diets in the past. They have worked well for a few months and then I gave up as I guess the changes I made were unsustainable and never seemed to become 'habitual'. I realise now that I used to make the changes too drastic and do too much too soon in hope of losing quickly in the short term.

I am now hoping to make smaller changes and aim for slow weight loss. Even if I wanted to lose quickly this time (which I don't) I wont be able to as I am breastfeeding and also suffering from gallstones, so rapid weight loss isn't an option. So the slow route is now the one I am taking.

My question is... How do I make these small changes into new habitual lifestyle choices? For example at the moment I have to think to myself to grab a banana instead of a bag of crisps, or have salad with my meal instead of chips. When will I be able to do these things without having to make a conscious effort? How long did it take you?

Replies

• berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    For me, the key was making small changes gradually. I didn't try to change everything all at once, but implemented them one by one on a daily basis. It's a whole lifestyle change, habits take time to develop, it sucks, but the reality is that you just have to stick to it and keep trucking through!

I think I'm a little under two months into my journey, and it probably got a lot easier around a few weeks to a month into it.

Good luck :)
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Time - it takes time to break the old habit and get a new one. I had to change the location I watch TV as the habit was to watch and eat. I had to turn the kitchen lights off after dinner and NOT go back in. Habits include a location, an activity, a thought etc. You need to change all this until it is a habit.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You seem to have the jist.

The rest is practise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't buy chips.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Repetition. That's it. Really.

If it seems overwhelming, change one thing at a time, not everything all at once.
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You're completely right about taking it slow. Over-doing it is the easiest way to get discouraged. I've been at it for about 5 months, and I've honestly found that it gets a little easier every day. I still have my "slip-up" days, and I don't mind them because I'm still learning. I think the key is to be honest with yourself about where you are and what it will take to get where you want to be. There are going to be days, even weeks, when you don't want to eat the healthier option or workout. But every time you force yourself to do those things anyway, you realize that it really IS about mind over matter.

Oh, and don't lean to much on "motivation", because it's fleeting. There have been MANY days when I've had to FORCE myself to eat right, or workout. Keep your goals in mind and understand that it'll take time for your new habits to form.

Sorry for the long post. And congratulations on the baby!! :-)
  • traumaticthrash
    Options
    Very interesting post, i think most people would have gone through what you are feeling, it's quite normal.
    what has helped me with me overcome this are quite a few factors...

1. firstly, getting my mind in the right state. I accepted that this isn't going to be a quick fix and I'm going to be in it for the long term. I wanted a change in lifestyle. also another very important factor was accepting that Junk food will always be a part of my life... I know this may sound odd but it really helps, I NEVER go cold turkey. my diet for 7 days a week is healthy, however, if i feel the need to have a packet of crisp as I please then i will do so! Remember, it's key that your diet is healthy but treating yourself keeps you sane.

or if I feel the need to go out on a Saturday to have a couple glasses of Wine, i will do so.

Remember, Make your healthy diet the Norm and the naughty food the treat that you are rightly entitled to. not the other way round.... you will be at peace with yourself once you get this right :)
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks advice everyone :)

What I have taken from this is:

-don't expect a quick fix
    -don't eliminate 'bad' foods, but eat them sparingly
    -don't try to change too much at once
    -it takes time to form a habit

I am slightly scared it will go wrong again but hopefully now I have MFP to log my food in and people to talk to I should have the support I need.