Triathlon outfit/gear?

Options
I've posted about my sprint triathlon training before, but the competition is now just a month away. What kind of clothes/swim suits do you wear? I've read a bunch of varying opinions but am still very clear how fairly important things like my sports bra factor into everything lol

On that note, what kind of gear should I have also? What should I keep in my transition packet?

I have so many questions and am very clueless, so any answers/overall sprint tri tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• engmomma
    engmomma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wore my sports bra under my bathing suit. Can't recall what I wore on the bottom oddly enough. :) I did use a wetsuit for the sprints that I did so i suspect I wore a bathing suit bottom or a compression short. Over that I put my bike shorts, jersey and then ran in them.

I am by no means in the competitive arena so transition times were..meh...but I also knew I couldn't go without a sports bra. No one needs to see that.

Can you see if you can pick up a tri-suit for a reasonable price? The pros swim, bike and run and only change their footwear.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you buy one thing, buy a pair of tri shorts. You can get them online, or at a place like REI. Don't wear anything underneath them. They dry quickly, and will help you not chafe on the bike or during the run. I had a friend try the shorts over a swimsuit thing, and could barely finish the bike leg she was so chaffed up in some not so pleasant places..

For the top, if you can get a tri top, those work very nicely, many have built in bras so you don't need to worry about wearing one. But if this is the only triathlon you're planning on doing, it may not be worth the money. Otherwise, wear your tri shorts and a sports bra for the swim, and throw a shirt on for the bike and run.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm a thoroughly unconvincing triathlete (and a guy), so I'm not sure how much advice I can offer. That said, it's probably worth looking into tri-specific clothes. For example, triathlon shorts typically have a smaller chamois than regular bike shorts, to cut down on the running-with-a-diaper sensation. Also, the armholes in tri tops are cut differently than those in bike jerseys. Subtle, but important, distinctions that can have an effect on comfort, even in a sprint distance.

At the risk of running afoul of the moderators, I'll also recommend checking out the Beginner Triathlete site. The people there are welcoming and friendly, and as the name implies they're willing to help out the newbies. You're bound to find useful information about lady-centric questions there. If you are going to get any tri clothes, make your move as soon as possible to try them out beforehand. Nothing new on race day, yeah?

As for what to have in transition, I'd recommend keeping it as simple as possible. Space in the transition area is always at a premium, so try to identify what you'll really need there and leave the rest in the car. If you haven't already, go through a couple of practice transitions, both T1 (swim to bike) and T2 (bike to run). It's ... interesting, what you'll notice when you actually try to go from one to the other, and realize what you hadn't thought of.

In fact, that's the single thing I would recommend to anybody getting into triathlon for the first time: try everything first, so you can make any changes for race day. Do it up!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I did my first couple of tris in some cheap Tri shorts that I bought online and a bathing suit top with a built in sports bra. It worked great. I prefer the one piece tri suits (see profile picture). It's just one less thing to worry about.
    Here's my transition area from my last race. 4e6qdye7gikt.jpg
    Put out as little stuff as possible. I just get flustered when there's stuff everywhere. Use bright colors so your spot is easy to find, and don't use a giant beach towel like the dude on my left, you'll just get in other people's way.

Don't try anything new on race day and practice your transitions- I go to the local state park, swim a couple hundred meters, run to my transition area, then bike for 2-3 miles, repeat a few times.
    I tend to get nauseated during T1 (combined stress, high heart rate, disorientation from transitioning, etc) so it's been really important for me to work on my pacing and smoothing out that part of the race.
    TLDR: picture!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You don't really need anything beyond the basics (bike, helmet, running shoes). But the first line of "should haves" (IMO) are tri shorts and a run belt. The shorts make a big difference in overall comfort, and the run belt is cheap and a big upgrade in convenience.

As for what to have in transition...
    Your gear, a small towel, nutrition... that's about it. The more you have in there, the more you'll have to sort through when you're rushing and flustered... so keep it simple.
  • Maddogpilot
    Maddogpilot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All good advice.

Keep it simple in the transition. Zip laces, velcro straps on my bike shoes. Everything set up simple (don't forget to practice!)

I also ordered tri numbers rather than the sharpie on my skin... I just wondered what chemicals I was absorbing, probably ok.

It's a great, friendly group... enjoy
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm a duathlete, so I can't comment on the swim part of it, but I will put in a 2nd - or is it a 3rd? 4th? - for the tri-shorts. Mine were not all that expensive (I think $40?) and I loved them so much, I bought another pair!

For me, I used a special hand towel that I laid my things out on (I ran & biked in the same shoes) that marked my spot. Instead of pins, get a runners belt. So much easier, trust me! Make sure you get there early so you have a chance to check in and scope out where things are (in & out of transition, where swim is, where the course is, etc) get your bike & things laid out, make that 1 last trip to the bathroom and calm yourself down as much as you can before the race. Oh - and don't do what I did on my 1st race: remember your water bottles!

Since it's your 1st - have fun! And don't forget the sunscreen. Good luck!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I did my first couple of sprint races in regular clothes. I wore a pair of shorts (tights), my sports bra and a regular quick drying running top under my wetsuit. I think I planned to throw a pair of shorts over my tights for the run but didn't. If you are comfortable you could just wear the bra as a top and put a shirt on in transition. Just make sure most of your stuff isn't a heavy material that will hold a lot of water ( my bra was because I need a good bra but that wasn't a huge deal).
    Tri suits are better but not super necessary, especially for a shorter race.