I need Help w/ new exercise routine for a beginner

Options
jazzandbill
jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
Hi my name is Jazmin and today is my 6th day since I started here.. :D So excited about this new journey even though this weekend was my first time keeping track of my calories in take and boy was it hard.. :# Now, i want to start with some exercise routine one that will help me lose the weight and hopefully tone my body. I have seen many on pinterest but dont know which one I should do..
I also read on the fitness and exercise topic from the community about bodybuilding.com
any suggestions.. :|

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss will come mainly from the deficit you create by staying at your calorie target. (So, your food.)

Exercise improves general wellbeing and health. Strength, flexibility, balance, endurance, sleep, mood, and so on. If you add a strength routine, it can also help you preserve some of your muscle as you lose weight (because the body breaks down both fat AND muscle when we lose weight).

The best exercise for you, especially as a beginner, is the exercise you enjoy. If it makes you feel good, it will inspire you to set fitness goals, to keep pushing until you reach them, to set more. It will help you show up instead of skipping. The best exercise is the one you'll keep doing. And then, as you get more into it, you'll find yourself looking to expand, to try more things.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Find a routine or video or activity that looks good to you and give it a try. There's no magic routine that will give you weight loss and a toned body, so there's no wrong routine either.
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    ty so much for your comment.. i wasnt sure if simple pictures on exercise routine in pinterest would actually make a difference like;

2 sets of 20 sit ups
    3 sets of 10 push ups
    and so on..
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Losing weight is eating less and moving more.

Exercise is mainly for fitness, but you will burn some calories by doing it. That said there a 3 things to look for: cardio for heart health & building stamina - strength/resistance training to "keep" the lean muscle you have, and bone health - and something for maintaining flexibility/balance (older people especially) this helps to prevent injury too.

Keeping the weight from creeping back up will likely require some form of lifestyle change. Therefore look for something you see yourself doing a long, long time.

I like videos.....try YouTube, Jessica Smith TV, Fitness Blender, DVDs from your library, join a sports league. Keep trying new things, find something you enjoy doing.

For cardio I like Leslie Sansone DVDs - you can start at your own pace & build from there.
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    ty teabea.. i will try to search for videos and see what i like. i will search for those names too.. ty.
  • Dictorbutt
    Dictorbutt Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

For cardio I like Leslie Sansone DVDs - you can start at your own pace & build from there.

I started the 1 Mile In Home Walk video by Leslie last week. I just play it from YouTube on my iPad. I've started doing it twice a day now. I really like the constant change up during. It makes it go by faster.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Make your exercise something fun. Dancing, walking, tennis, golf. A simple routine of sit ups and push-ups