Is weightlifting really sabotaging my weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You might want to buy a body fat tester , as you may be losing fat yet retaining water or added muscle.
    Omron body fat tester ($35) is pretty cheap and fairly accurate

Sorry, but these are so inaccurate. Dexa and water displacement are the gold standard. Short of that, caliper is ok (provided you get a consistent approach by the individual measuring, aka human error).
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies everyone! @_nice_‌ Thank you for understanding about the "pred"..I hate it, but it is unavoidable for me.

I don't eat back any more than 100 calories worth of my exercise calories to account for any overestimate. I put a much larger deficit than needed to account for any caloric underestimate as well. I just get confused when I read one thing, then some one tells me another and then I have a Dr (my cardiologist) tell me not to lift cause I'll get.....*gasp*...bulky! So thank you for the input so far!

Remember that 50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class...

ROFL! Oh I am SO figuring this out lately......

• AllanMisner
    Options
    Just want to thank everyone who was helpful and update that the stall has ended and I am losing steadily once again. Continuing on with my training and progressing!! Oh! Also got the Dr to wean me down a bit from the Prednisone so I am incredibly happy about that.

Thanks MFPers!!!

Good on you! Happy for you!

• IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    You might want to buy a body fat tester , as you may be losing fat yet retaining water or added muscle.

Sorry, but these are so inaccurate. Dexa and water displacement are the gold standard. Short of that, caliper is ok (provided you get a consistent approach by the individual measuring, aka human error).

Oh! I am up for a dexa scan soon...supposed to just be to check bone density (because of long term pred use) but I am going to ask them to tell be BF% too! Don't know why I am excited cause I imagine it's disgusting high, but I guess knowing is a good thing.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    When we are stuck we can do something that shocks our system to awaken it. I used to do leg presses at 800 lbs. on the smith machine...three or four of them would shock my system into moving again. (trainer promoted the behavior and it worked)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh! I am up for a dexa scan soon...supposed to just be to check bone density (because of long term pred use) but I am going to ask them to tell be BF% too! Don't know why I am excited cause I imagine it's disgusting high, but I guess knowing is a good thing.

I use bod pod. when I weigh 228 I was 32.7% body fat . At 200 I was 29.3% body fat. I do not want to know what I was at 265. I never finished my point which is its a value that shows where you are. You are able to change it if you want to. I really secretly want to know how much body fat I had at 265. Know that would show my true transformation on how much I have lost.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Because of the prednisone and all, maybe you should get one of those scales that checks body fat and water %. I know they're far from perfect, but it could at least give you an idea if your water % is much higher than normal.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify, I am not gaining weight. Even with my issues with water retention I am not gaining, which is amazing in and of itself. Lifting is new to me, I have only been able to do so for the last month and have been increasing both weight and cardio since finally getting medical clearance to do so. @AllanMisner‌ That is a very good point, and I will ask them Wednesday when I go to Transplant clinic. @futuremanda‌ I do need to research some more as I am always under my fat macro and am not sure I have everything set right. :\@realityhack‌ Yes, you are right, the point is to be in better shape, I am trying and trying to get there. I am just trying to sort out some conflicting things I have read/been told.
    @ndj1979 thank you for your cleverness. I never would have realized.

You stated that you just started weight lifting program, give it time and also just make sure you are accurate with weighing/measuring foods and your workout burns. Good luck. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just want to thank everyone who was helpful and update that the stall has ended and I am losing steadily once again. Continuing on with my training and progressing!! Oh! Also got the Dr to wean me down a bit from the Prednisone so I am incredibly happy about that.

Thanks MFPers!!!
    Congrats!!
  • AllanMisner
    Options

Knowing is never a bad thing. I hated my first one, but it was such a great driver for my behavior for the next nine months as I dropped 20%.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options

Knowing is never a bad thing. I hated my first one, but it was such a great driver for my behavior for the next nine months as I dropped 20%.

That's what I am hoping. I like the motivation.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am asking because I have hit a stall. One that has lasted about 3 weeks
    Three weeks is NOT a very long time.
    (maybe, hard to tell because I am terrified to get back on the scale for fear it hasn't moved).
    Get on the scale. You need the data point in order to make a conclusion.
    I have been told by a few that lifting is the reason and that I should back off.
    I'm not buyin' it. Lifting is always good for you, imo.
    I eat keto under Dr's orders to deal with edema and prednisone related insulin resistance. That is mentioned because I have been told that weights and the beginnings of a keto lifestyle don't mix well.
    Whoa, whoa, you got some crazy words in there. What is keto? What is edema and prednisone? Insulin resistance? This is high-level stuff. If it's getting this detailed, you should be asking your doctor about this, not a group of strangers on the internet.
    The problem is that I have discovered that I LOVE lifting. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.
    That's a pretty great problem to have. :smile:
    It wouldn't matter to me at all about the scale, except I have a medical reason (transplant) for needing the number to go down.
    Transplant of what? ... Well I guess it doesn't matter. The doctor said you need to be a certain weight to receive something? Again, this sounds like an issue too detailed and specific to YOU to be asking us, talk to your doctor.
    So...am I hindering myself, or hurting myself? The number doesn't need to go down super fast, so maybe I should just ride it out?

Stats (if it matters)
    5'10"
    sw:235
    cw: 208
    gw (short term for transplant): 195
    ugw:155-160
    I like the idea of riding it out. Muscle mass is a wonderful thing to have. However, strength training involves, by nature, hurting yourself. You have to rip your muscles in order for them to build. If this ripping and rebuilding of your muscles is something that is making your body do things chemically that are a hinderance to your ultimate goal of getting that transplant, then maybe it's a problem, but that's not a thing that we could tell you. That's really only a thing that your doctor could tell you.

I recommend taking detailed notes about your progress, your workouts, your food diary. Be as specific and as detailed as you POSSIBLY can. Include things like fatigue, sore knees, emotions, hunger levels. You never know what data might be helpful for coming to a conclusion. Bring this data to your doctor and talk with them about your workouts and your goals. Show them the data and ask for their opinion on the matter.

Essentially, treat it like a science project.

Alright sorry for the long post, I hope it gave you some perspective. Good luck!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    BlueInkDot wrote: »
    I am asking because I have hit a stall. One that has lasted about 3 weeks
    Three weeks is NOT a very long time.
    (maybe, hard to tell because I am terrified to get back on the scale for fear it hasn't moved).
    Get on the scale. You need the data point in order to make a conclusion.
    I have been told by a few that lifting is the reason and that I should back off.
    I'm not buyin' it. Lifting is always good for you, imo.
    I eat keto under Dr's orders to deal with edema and prednisone related insulin resistance. That is mentioned because I have been told that weights and the beginnings of a keto lifestyle don't mix well.
    Whoa, whoa, you got some crazy words in there. What is keto? What is edema and prednisone? Insulin resistance? This is high-level stuff. If it's getting this detailed, you should be asking your doctor about this, not a group of strangers on the internet.
    The problem is that I have discovered that I LOVE lifting. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.
    That's a pretty great problem to have. :smile:
    It wouldn't matter to me at all about the scale, except I have a medical reason (transplant) for needing the number to go down.
    Transplant of what? ... Well I guess it doesn't matter. The doctor said you need to be a certain weight to receive something? Again, this sounds like an issue too detailed and specific to YOU to be asking us, talk to your doctor.
    So...am I hindering myself, or hurting myself? The number doesn't need to go down super fast, so maybe I should just ride it out?

Stats (if it matters)
    5'10"
    sw:235
    cw: 208
    gw (short term for transplant): 195
    ugw:155-160
    I like the idea of riding it out. Muscle mass is a wonderful thing to have. However, strength training involves, by nature, hurting yourself. You have to rip your muscles in order for them to build. If this ripping and rebuilding of your muscles is something that is making your body do things chemically that are a hinderance to your ultimate goal of getting that transplant, then maybe it's a problem, but that's not a thing that we could tell you. That's really only a thing that your doctor could tell you.

I recommend taking detailed notes about your progress, your workouts, your food diary. Be as specific and as detailed as you POSSIBLY can. Include things like fatigue, sore knees, emotions, hunger levels. You never know what data might be helpful for coming to a conclusion. Bring this data to your doctor and talk with them about your workouts and your goals. Show them the data and ask for their opinion on the matter.

Essentially, treat it like a science project.

Alright sorry for the long post, I hope it gave you some perspective. Good luck!

I got back on the scale LOL.
    It's a double lung transplant.
    I have talked to my Doctors, they have no clue. They are pulmonologists and nephrologists and various other ologists, one of which told me not to lift because I would get bulky. It's amazing how narrow a bead on things these doctors have.

The emotional part and such could be playing a factor, I am under huge amounts of stress, which I am sure doesn't help.

I seem to have gotten it sorted out in the end though... .losing again and getting better at my workouts, actually feeling better than I have in almost three years! I so love weight lifting LOL!