Help me with my Birthday!

Options
alfiedn
alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
Hello lovely people! My birthday is coming up soon. I have a pretty strict low glycemic diet that I've been put on for medical reasons, but would still like to come up with some sort of dessert for my birthday. I'm really trying to be good for the next few months so I can get my blood work tested again and know if diet and exercise alone will help me or if I really need to take medication.

I can eat:
nuts
seeds
vegetables (staying further-ish away from starchy veggies...potatoes, corn)
palm sized amount of protein (I eat vegetarian, so my protein is starchy)
3 fruits a day (but I can restrict that further and two of the three must be citrus if I have three servings)
cheese (in very small amounts)

I cannot eat:
grains
flours
processed sugar of any kind
alcohol

Navigating this diet is an adventure that I'm learning more about all the time. It's possible I've left something out. Please don't judge my diet as good or bad, but help me to come up with a delicious dessert for my birthday instead! :) I was thinking that possibly banana "ice cream" might be a nice treat, but I'd love to know if anyone else has a great idea that I haven't thought of!

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can you have egg whites? Artificial sweetener of some type? Maybe some sugar free meringues in a smallish cookie shape that could be used to make a sandwich with banana slices. You could juice an orange and reduce it over low heat a little to get it more syrupy and drizzle over. If you make a small one, maybe the natural sugars wouldn't be too much all at one sitting. I'm not sure If it would work, but maybe the orange juice could be the sweetener for the meringues. Sounds like a delicious experiment....

You could core an apple then cut it into rings and put a little fresh ground peanuts or other ground nut on each slice and stack it into a ramekin then bake. A pear might work too.

Core an apple and bake then melt the cheese in it might be good.

If I think of more, I'll post. I like a challenge :D

Hmm unsweetened coconut? Slice a banana and thinly spread nut butter (fresh ground to avoid added sugars and such) and stack a few and have nut butter on the outside then dip in a little unsweetened coconut. I'm not sure if that would turn out but I know I will be trying it lol. Ok that would be 2 fruit but maybe small amounts of each like 1/4 banana worth of slices

• herrmacm
    herrmacm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bake an apple with cinnamon on it. I did this once as a "treat" and put a ton of cinnamon on it, it really tasted good.
  • herrmacm
    Options
    I found this on the internet, not sure if it meets all your needs but it might work. Good luck and more importantly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

http://meetracy.com/food/healthy-happy-valentines-day-avocado-chocolate-mousse-dessert-gluten-free-vegan-low-glycemic-real-food-recipe/

Valentine’s Day Avocado Chocolate Mousse Dessert –
    Gluten Free, Vegan, Low Glycemic

Whatcha’ Need:

4 ripe avocados

1/3 cup agave nectar or coconut nectar (glycemic index of 35)

1 ripe banana (optional)*

1/2 cup raw cacao powder

2 TBSP of organic coconut milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

pinch of salt

fresh fruit and nuts for garnish

*For a Mexican flare leave out the banana and add teaspoon of cinnamon. You can also leave out the agave completely and just add the banana for an even less sweet treat.

Whatcha’ Do:

In the bowl of a blender or food processor, blend avocado until smooth. Add all other ingredients, blending until mixture is uniform. Chill for about 2 hours in the fridge or half an hour in the freezer. Garnish with fresh fruit or chopped nuts.
  • herrmacm
    Options
    Here's another site that has lots of recipes that might work for you.

http://ohsheglows.com/2015/02/02/raw-chocolate-pudding-vegan-no-added-sugar/
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    try a fake pumkin pie. Pumkin puree and soft tofu, egg white and pumkin pie spice(( there are hundreds of recipes for this) I dislike Tofu but this taste just like pumkin pie.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Happy birthday!

If you're a chocolate lover, I can say first hand that this "mousse" is a pretty good replacement for the real thing. Plus a serving of healthy fats :)

Chocolate Avocado Mousse

1 avocado
    2 tbsp agave syrup
    2 tbsp vegan cocoa powder

Combine ingredients in a food processor and pulse until completely smooth; about 1-2 minutes.
    To make it even more delicious, add instant coffee, peanut butter or fresh berries.
    Enjoy!

She does blackberry and lime versions too that are also super yummy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2l78t9zGqg
  • alfiedn
    Options
    Wow! Such great ideas! Some of these I'll have to save for when I start adding a few things back in (a little agave is on my list of things I'd like to add in). However, I am still trying to be super good until my next round of blood work to see if diet and exercise alone will help... I'm really liking the avocado and banana mouse ideas.

AmazonMayan, so many great and creative ideas! I may want to come to your house for dinner.
  • alfiedn
    Options
    By the way, eggs are fine. Forgot! :)
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Do you use soy yogurt? I make a lovely fruit salad by cutting up whatever fruit we have on hand into bite sized pieces, with a sauce made from a dab (aprox 2 tbs per serving) of plain yogurt with a packet or two of artificial sweetener and cinnamon. Berries work beautifully in this, as well as any random assortment of fruit.
  • alfiedn
    Options
    I've never used soy yogurt... I usually just go with dairy yogurt. Another fantastic idea. I'm definitely squirreling these away. I have a huge sweet tooth, so this diet has been an very interesting transition for me. I've never loved most artificial sweeteners, so that makes it even more interesting for me. However, I think some may be worth a shot and perhaps I will like them better after being without sugar for a time.