cooking prepping beets

Options
conniehgtv
conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
bought some at the store.afraid I am going to make a mess. how do I clean and cook beets??

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use gloves because they can temporarily stain your hands. Don't put a cut beet on anything that isn't easily cleaned lol. I rinse them then chop the ends off and only cut them further if they are huge since I want a uniform size so they cook evenly. I salt and roast them @ 350F for up to an hour. If a fork goes through them easily but still with some resistance, then to me it's enough. I cool them then put gloves on again and peel. You could peel before cooking if you wanted. Some people also like them drizzled with a little (measured) olive oil before roasting.

So simple and soooooooo delicious.

Edited to add: you can boil instead of roasting. I prefer roasted.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    thanks alot,I will try that soonest
  • jonathonandketurah
    jonathonandketurah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cut off the stems at least one inch away to keep them from 'bleeding' and scrub with a brush. Then I boil them about an hour. They literally slip out of the skin. (Dont cut or peel ahead of time or you will have a mess).

Once they are cooked then just pinch them to pop them out of the peels and slice. They are wondeful with a bit of butter, brown sugar and steamed with the lid on the pan with about 2 TBS of water-or-
    In a jar with some brine. I make mine with:
    2 C cider vinegar and 2 C water, 2 C sugar mixed with 1 TLBS cinnamon, 2 tsp cloves, and 1 tsp all spice and 1 tsp salt. Boil 5 minutes while cooking beets. Then store the sliced beets in there.

PS. Costco sells the beets cooked, and packaged in the veggie section when short on time.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Cut off the stems at least one inch away to keep them from 'bleeding' and scrub with a brush. Then I boil them about an hour. They literally slip out of the skin. (Dont cut or peel ahead of time or you will have a mess).

I love this idea - thanks for the tip!