Low Sodium Moroccan Lentil Stew

Allibaba
Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I made this last week, YUM!

Lentils, potatoes, and squash simmer in your crockpot for a delicious meatless stew.
Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 7 hours, 30 minutes

Total Time: 7 hours, 60 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
10 small new red potatoes, cubed
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (look for no salt added!)
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 cups water
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1-2 tsp. curry powder
8 oz. pkg. frozen cut green beans, thawed
Preparation:

Combine all ingredients except lemon juice, 2 tsp. curry powder, and green beans in a 4-5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours until lentils, squash, and potatoes are tender when tested with knife. Increase heat to high setting. Stir in lemon juice mixed with the second amount of curry powder, and thawed green beans. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until mixture is thoroughly heated and beans are tender. 6 servings
If you have a new hotter cooking crockpot cook on low for 6-8 hours until lentils and potatoes are tender. If the recipe is 'mush' you cooked it too long. And always season food to taste. Since, as I have explained before, the crockpot mutes spices, so you may need to add more curry powder and cumin before you serve it.

Replies

• chessie11
    chessie11 Posts: 52
    Thanks for this! Progresso's Lentil soup has been a weakness of mine for many years and I've cut back lately due to the salt. I'm anxious to try your healthier alternative! Plus - the no preservatives aspect is superb!:happy:
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    This sounds great. Thanks.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Yum - this sounds great! I love lentil soup and Moroccan flavored food so I need to try this out :)
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    This sounds great. I'm always on the lookout for veggie crockpot recipes (as so many have meat in them!). Thanks for sharing
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    This sounds great. I'm always on the lookout for veggie crockpot recipes (as so many have meat in them!). Thanks for sharing

I have a few meatless crockpot recipes if you want me to share them with you ...
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,499 Member
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.