Italian cuisine - dinner suggestion

Options
Today is my wife's birthday and I have a reservation in an Italian restaurant, I'm new to Italian cuisine, need your suggestions for low carb - high protein italian dishes.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Caprese salad

Antipasto

Veal parmesan
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Order what you want, immediately divide it in a to-go box. But I do love Caprese salad! Can you look at their menu on-line?
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Caprese salad

Antipasto

Veal parmesan

Isn't veal has high in fats?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Think in terms of ingredients. Avoid dishes that are chiefly pasta, gnocchi, or the like -- aim toward dishes that are chiefly meat and vegetables. Often, the menu will describe the dishes so you can use that description to help you choose. Higher end Italian restaurants will often have something that resembles a steak and vegetables or fish and vegetables. If a side of pasta is part of the meal, ask for a salad or vegetable instead but you may have to pay a couple dollars extra.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Any grilled fish or chicken dish with vegetables. I usually get shrimp fra diavolo over vegetables instead of pasta.
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    MLouis1 wrote: »
    Order what you want, immediately divide it in a to-go box. But I do love Caprese salad! Can you look at their menu on-line?

Unfortunately they don't have online menu. It is a good idea "to-go box".

I'm afraid because as I know Italian food is full of dressings.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Caprese salad

Antipasto

Veal parmesan

Isn't veal has high in fats?

How would you get calories in on a low carb AND low fat diet. Yes, all these dishes have fat. Dietary fat does not make you fat. Steer clear of trans fats....watch saturated fat (if you have medical issues)....olive oil is good for you.

If you're concerned with saturated fat....look for chicken parmesan instead.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Today is my wife's birthday and I have a reservation in an Italian restaurant, I'm new to Italian cuisine, need your suggestions for low carb - high protein italian dishes.

Most Italian restaurants will offer steak, chicken and fish dishes. I'd go for a salad and one of the grilled meats, depending on which sounded better based on the menu description.
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    As per your recommendations, I will go for caprese salad (which seems very delicious) and veal steak if available or grilled salmon which is my favorite dish. Of course I will end with cappuccino and hope they serve it with skimmed or low fat milk.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    As per your recommendations, I will go for caprese salad (which seems very delicious) and veal steak if available or grilled salmon which is my favorite dish. Of course I will end with cappuccino and hope they serve it with skimmed or low fat milk.

If you like salmon, you will also probably like swordfish or tuna, and they are "more Italian", to say so. Check also carpaccio. It can be meat or fish based (usually it is among the appetizers, but can be also a main course) .

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    arancini, pasta course, seafood main, panna cotta or something of that nature for dessert
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    arancini, pasta course, seafood main, panna cotta or something of that nature for dessert
    arancini, pasta, panna cotta are delicious but not low carb.

• hanymamdouh
    Options
    Thanks for all of you guys, you are all awesome. I've just returned back, it was very romantic and wonderful night.

I asked for caprese salad, but unforetunately it wasn't available by the time, so I ordered Caesar Salad and ate half portion only. Main course was Veal Steak with Mushroom Sauce (it was really delicious) and side with Mushroom baked with mozzarella. I count the whole meal and it was 1000 cal approximately; including cappuccino with low fat milk. I'm just 200 cals over my maintenance and it is great. Tomorrow I will kill my self in the training to compensate today, and hope no water retention will occur.

Thanks again for your great choices and help. Wish you great moments.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Meatballs with a side of pasta. You can control how many carbs you want while eating a ton of meatballs.