V8 juice good or bad for weight loss?

Options
emily9423
emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
There are a lot of mixed reviews on this. Many agree that the original V8 vegetable juices are good but the fusions and fruit juices not so much. I used to drink a glass of the fusion to make up for some of the veggies my diet was lacking but I recently stopped due to the amount of sugar in an 8 ounce glass. I know it's not necessarily bad sugars but I already eat a lot of fruit and exceed my sugar limit without it. The last week or so I've switch to green smoothies and a glass of original V8 and lost just over 3 pounds which is the most I've ever lost in one week. I was also going to the gym and eating to my deficit but I do that every week. My body could be responding to the boost of nutrients providing more energy for my workouts but I think part of it was the reduction in sugar and calories from V8.

I'm just curious what people's experiences have been drinking different varieties while trying to lose weight? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The only way that any juice can affect weight loss is by the amount of calories and sodium in the juice. If you are staying within your overall daily calorie limit, then work the juice into your calories. V-8 does have a good bit of fiber so it may be a great snack to get you through a moment of hunger between meals, but there is no magical quality to any juice that will help you lose weight.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options

I think it's a matter of preference. I don't see why either juice would hinder weight loss, unless too much is consumed or it sends you over your calories for the day. I think both juices could be a nice addition to your day :)
  • PearlAng
    Options
    Also wanna add the my SO drank the fruit fusion juices a lot while trying to make weight for wrestling last season. He lost weight and stayed within his weight class all season, and he also said that the juice gave him a nice burst of energy, but we attribute this and the weight loss to the fact that he really couldn't consume much else
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A couple of things V8 is very high in sodium. Try to find the lower sodium variety if you can. MFPs sugar tracking is all sugars....not just added ones. This is a tracker I turned off. I switched to tracking fiber instead.

I would seriously get bored with V8, besides I prefer chewing food as opposed to drinking it. I pack cut up veggies and bring them to work. I nosh on them during the day.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Have you considered the sodium content of V-8? Some of them are pretty salty. Some of the difference may be in water retention. As PearlAng said, there's nothing magic about V-8 for weight loss. Yes, you are better off having a V-8 than a similar number of calories from Coke but you would be better off still having the same calories in fresh vegetables.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I've never had anything except original and low sodium V8. I think it could aid weight loss. At only 70 calories for 11.5 oz it is pretty filling. Much more filling than sweet juices or soda IMO, and it contains a lot of potassium as well as other vital nutrients.
  • emily9423
    Options
    Yeah I definitely don't think the juice will make or break your weight loss but reading about it online recently sparked my interest in people's real life experiences.
  • emily9423
    Options
    I also drink the low sodium original now and I think it's a great option for those that aren't quite getting enough vegetables in their daily diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It at least keeps you from being bopped on the head.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShcbV31tcAk

I hate the low sodium version.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If I remember correctly (it's been a long time since I had a V8) the potassium and sodium content is pretty equal. So while, yes, V8 has a lot of sodium, it also has a lot of potassium and it's the potassium vs. sodium balance in your body that dictates water retention.

OP, I'm more concerned with the fact that you're attributing a change in sugar consumption to your weight loss. Are you not counting calories? Sugar isn't going to make you gain weight in itself, it's the total calories you're eating and drinking. So if that hasn't changed, your weight loss won't change either. It may be a water retention issue but water gain is temporary. I know I can gain or lose 3-4 pounds from one day to the next due to water retention after a half marathon or a high sodium day. That has no affect on what I consider my "base" weight.
  • emily9423
    Options
    I usually lose around two pounds a week. Yes I count calories and I don't think excess sugar from fruit is making me gain weight but the fusion has around 30 grams per 8 ounce glass. I already get about 40 and sometimes more grams of sugar from eating whole fruit each day. I think that if my body isn't using the sugar for energy it could end up slowing down my weight loss a bit.

The low sodium varieties of regular V8 have 140 mg of sodium.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    emily9423 wrote: »
    I usually lose around two pounds a week. Yes I count calories and I don't think excess sugar from fruit is making me gain weight but the fusion has around 30 grams per 8 ounce glass. I already get about 40 and sometimes more grams of sugar from eating whole fruit each day. I think that if my body isn't using the sugar for energy it could end up slowing down my weight loss a bit.

If you're eating at a deficit, then your body will use what you eat for energy. Sugar doesn't factor into it. Sugar can't make you gain weight if you are eating at a deficit.
  • emily9423
    Options

If you're eating at a deficit, then your body will use what you eat for energy. Sugar doesn't factor into it. Sugar can't make you gain weight if you are eating at a deficit.

I didn't know that! That's interesting; I always thought if you are eating sugar filled junk even at a deficit it would hinder weight loss. Good to know; not that I'm going to go eat a bunch of sugar filled junk but I won't worry so much about how much sugar I'm getting from fruit.
  • PearlAng
    edited March 2015
    Options

I didn't know that! That's interesting; I always thought if you are eating sugar filled junk even at a deficit it would hinder weight loss. Good to know; not that I'm going to go eat a bunch of sugar filled junk but I won't worry so much about how much sugar I'm getting from fruit.

Yep, there you go :) and some people might fight it, but it's typically accepted that all sugars are equal. It doesn't really matter if you get 10 grams of sugar from oreos or from apples, it's still sugar (and that is not bad). Of course you'll get more vitamins and fiber from the apple, that certainly doesn't mean you should abstain from oreos :) it's all about balance
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It has zero effect on weight loss. I drink a low sodium V8 pretty much every day with breakfast as I enjoy it and it helps me get in a couple of quick servings of veg and I don't have the time or inclination to juice my own.

Weight loss is simply math...it's about energy balance. Calories are a unit of energy...your body requires so much energy to maintain the status quot and function optimally. When you consistently over-eat your energy requirements your body can't burn it all off so some of it gets stored as body fat. Body fat is your body's energy reserves...when you diet, you consume less energy than your body requires thus requiring your body to dip into it's reserves to make up the difference.

Think of it like your bank account. Let's say you need $2,000 per month to cover your monthly expenses...but you're only making $1,500 per month at work. Well, obviously you have to make up for that difference somewhere so you have to dip into your savings right? And eventually you will deplete your savings. Your body fat is your "savings" account.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is where I was going earlier. :) A calorie is a calorie. Eat too many and you'll gain weight whether the calories are from pure fruits and vegetables or "junk food". By the same token, eat fewer than your body needs, regardless of the source, and you'll lose weight. As we say around here, it's all about CICO (calories in vs. calories out). Enjoy your V8 and keep on with the good fight!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I wanted it to be good, and it might be when included in a balance diet. But when I researched it I remember reading that a glass has the same salt content as a box of large McDonalds Fries. Your blood pressure might not thank you for it in the future. That's just the reason I avoided buying it. It might be great for the next person.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I keep original V-8 on hand in case I don't manage to have any cut up vegetables ready to pack into my lunch box. It's easy to grab and go. Also, if you spice it up like a bloody mary, that much better.

The low sodium kind tastes awful, though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I wanted it to be good, and it might be when included in a balance diet. But when I researched it I remember reading that a glass has the same salt content as a box of large McDonalds Fries. Your blood pressure might not thank you for it in the future. That's just the reason I avoided buying it. It might be great for the next person.

I don't think research indicates that sodium can cause high blood pressure, although people with high blood pressure certainly should keep an eye on their sodium intake.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

This is where I was going earlier. :) A calorie is a calorie. Eat too many and you'll gain weight whether the calories are from pure fruits and vegetables or "junk food". By the same token, eat fewer than your body needs, regardless of the source, and you'll lose weight. As we say around here, it's all about CICO (calories in vs. calories out). Enjoy your V8 and keep on with the good fight!

That's oversimplifying it a bit. A calorie is a calorie but it's easier to drink 200 calories of apple juice than to eat 200 calories of apples. And for people who have issues with insulin resistance or similar blood sugar maladies, the amount of dietary sugar *does* matter.

Although whether that sugar comes from fruit or a sack of sugar doesn't technically matter I guess.