What to eat what to eat

Options
im trying to loos waight and i have no idea what to eat. I wish there was a place where i can get meal plans for free

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    A good place to start might be to log what you're currently eating to get a baseline of how much you'll need to restrict yourself to adequately cause a calorie deficit.
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Look at others people's food diaries on here. That's what I do....especially from those who are losing weight well. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    A good place to start might be to log what you're currently eating to get a baseline of how much you'll need to restrict yourself to adequately cause a calorie deficit.

This^

The bad thing about "eat this - not that plans" it's not a picture of how you eat. Losing weight AND keeping it off should be lifestyle changes. You will need some kind of permanent changes or the weight you lose will creep back up.

As you log your "normal" foods, you will find that some are great. Other foods you might find..."OMG!.....totally not worth the calories!"

We all need to figure out what we are doing right....as well as what we are doing wrong.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »

This is excellent advice.

Beyond that, don't overthink it. There are no magic foods you need to eat. Many find it easier if you focus on getting an overall healthy, balanced diet, but hard to give advise without knowing what you eat now. I find it helpful to meet my protein requirements (MFP gives you one to start with), try to have some veggies at each meal and some fruit daily, and to avoid unplanned snacking and foods that aren't really worth it to me (foods I'm eating just 'cause they are there). I also try to be careful about portion size.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that you like in portion sizes that fit your goals.

Get plenty of fats & protein for healthy and satiety.

Get plenty of fruits & veggies for the micronutrients.

Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs, sweets, and treats as you see fit.

Personally, I think it's helpful to figure out your own meal plan. That way you can customize it to what you like best, you can eat when it works best with your schedule, and you'll be developing great habits that will help you once you reach your goals and transition to maintenance.