What healthy foods to snack on at night?

Options
I am always hungry at night time but unsure what to eat. What can I have instead of junk food?

Replies

• guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurts are super filling. I also munch on string cheese a lot. The ones I get, the servings are both only 80 calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My calories are typically used up and I'm not energetic at night. So I make a sugar free hot chocolate or munch on air popped popcorn.

Old cheese is actually a good way to end off the day. It is supposed to be good for your teeth.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Anything that you would normally snack on during the day you can snack on at night (assuming that you don't get sleeping problems or acid reflux from a full stomach at night, of course).

That said, some of my go-to snacks in the evenings are:
    string cheese
    hard boiled eggs
    carrots and hummus
    ice cream (not kidding, and only if I've hit my goals for the day)
    popcorn
    nuts (watch your portion sizes, though)
    Greek yogurt (usually with fruit or something crunchy added)
    protein bars
    decaf tea (if I'm short on calories)
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll make homemade popcorn. This past week I've made strawberry banana ice cream. Just freeze a banana and then put it in your food processor with a couple of strawberries and a tablespoon of whipped cream. Super yummy and healthy.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a fruit and yogurt smoothie, almonds or popcorn
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I eat baby bel cheese and carrots regularly.
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds(handful) at night with greek yogurt. Almonds are the healthiest nuts btw... you should avoid hazelnuts, walnuts - they have too much fat. pistachios are high in sodium. They say to avoid fruit after a certain time, but thats only if your trying to get to a really thin body fat %. You could also have a small salad. or snack with veggies and hummus.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Kale chips , questbar( it's loaded with fiber ) raw broccoli with hummus dip , chick pea cookies , oat brownies , red pepper and hummus dip ummmmm lol I have loads of stuff to snack on
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like to eat small chunks of Parmesan cheese. :smile:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    lillyy23 wrote: »
    I eat almonds(handful) at night with greek yogurt. Almonds are the healthiest nuts btw... you should avoid hazelnuts, walnuts - they have too much fat.

Not all fat is bad, and the fat in nuts, like hazelnuts and walnuts, is the kind that's good for you.
    pistachios are high in sodium.

Pistachios have very little sodium in their raw form. It's only when they're roasted in a lot of salt that they're high in sodium. Just go for raw ones or lightly salted ones.
    They say to avoid fruit after a certain time, but thats only if your trying to get to a really thin body fat %.

This is mostly about avoiding sugar and/or carbs close to bedtime, and eating reasonable amounts of fruit in your diet isn't going to negatively affect your weight or fat loss. That being said, there are definitely fruits that are BETTER than others for a late night snack (like berries or melons), and you're still probably better off eating some sort of protein (like a low-sugar greek yogurt or some cheese), as it'll be lower in sugar and keep you full for longer.