How important is breakfast really??

Options
Okay, so u always hear that eating breakfast is important because it gets your metabolism going for the day and all that jazz. But I really really have a hard time forcing myself to eat breakfast, i really hate it. Is it really that necessary? I workout in the mornings so I get my metabolism going in the morning anyway. Is that good enough...or should I really eat breakfast?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you end up getting to lunch and nomming everything in sight, then eating breakfast would be a good idea. A lot of people mistakenly skip breakfast because they're trying to lose weight, and then end up munching chips and cookies all morning because they are hungry.

If you are one of the people who feels fine and more full without it, and you are meeting your calorie goals, no problem! You don't have to eat it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast and eat a big breakfast everyday. With that said, meal timing doesn't matter and eating breakfast doesn't " get your metabolism going ". Hitting your calorie goals and macros are what's important now matter when you eat. You could eat six small meals or one huge one and as long as everything else is equal, so will weight loss.
  • 19Lindsay76
    19Lindsay76 Posts: 135
    Options
    I pack my lunch for work and don't bring any $$ with me so i don't buy any junk so eating in between is definately not an issue :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    As above.

It's all about preference and what helps you hit a healthy intake and exercise habit overal.
  • 19Lindsay76
    Options
    TY this is what i really needed to hear :) I really wanted to know that by skipping breakfast i am not making any mistakes...because i really want to eliminate it...i can't see eating breakfast if i am not hungry and it takes hours for me to be ready for any food in the morning.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear this too because I really have to force myself to eat breakfast, making it an unenjoyable meal. I must have a large mug of tea though!
  • 19Lindsay76
    Options
    I am glad to hear this too because I really have to force myself to eat breakfast, making it an unenjoyable meal. I must have a large mug of tea though!

I hear ya lol except for me it's my coffee that is a must have in the morning :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some people wake up hungry and LOVE breakfast, some people get hungry in the evening and want a big dinner. Just figure out works best for you. I pretty much like to eat all the time, so I eat small meals and snack frequently. It's what works for me, and if I come in under my calorie goal, I don't worry about it.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    People tell me "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." I say "Did you seriously just quote a McDonalds' commercial as nutritional advice?"... :bigsmile:

I think this is entirely in my mind, but I actually feel hungrier by lunch if I had a big breakfast, especially if it included grain. As others said, meal timing really isn't relevant. Studies have debunked that "keeps the metabolism high" junk science. I even read one study that stated there is often a small (as in not really significant) number of additional calories burned when you go several hours without a meal because of a minor change in hormones. Again, it said it was very small, not enough to worry about. I just found it interesting that it went slightly further than just debunking...
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I think this is entirely in my mind, but I actually feel hungrier by lunch if I had a big breakfast, especially if it included grain. A

It might not be in your mind! I read a great article about how breakfast does make some people hungry...

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Worth checking out if interested in the subject.
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    if i dont eat breakfast i eat a big lunch

then i get sleepy

that is bad

that may not happen to you
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Okay, so u always hear that eating breakfast is important because it gets your metabolism going for the day and all that jazz.
    Someone started a thread a while back that began something like: "Why you MUST eat breakfast".

Now I personally love breakfast, but if there is anything I've learned in a year and a half on MFP, it's that there is greater variety among humans than I even realized. People who hate breakfast, and successfully got in shape without it, pummeled the guy, and rightfully so.

I see a lot of benefits to breakfast, but if I hated it, I think I'd work around it. You are unlikely to maintain a routine if you detest it. Don't let others dictate to you.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hear ya lol except for me it's my coffee that is a must have in the morning :)

Yep- I'm sitting here with a mug of black coffee. I also ate one slice of whole-grain bread with nothing on it. I'll have a banana later. I'm not a big breakfast eater and I'm 60 so I don't think it's gonna change.

One exception: I used to stay in a hotel in Bangalore on business that had a HEAVENLY breakfast buffet. Since they had a heavy European and American business they included bacon and sausage and eggs, but I'd skip all that stuff and go for the Indian breads and the spicy stews and the pickled vegetables and an oatmeal/pancake type thing called idli. With coffee, too! Yum. I did find that I had less urge to snack between breakfast and lunch when I had a breakfast like that.

Probably a good thing I don't live in India. It would be hard to keep my weight down with all that good food.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, just can't stomach it!

I changed my diary meal title to Morning 7am-12noon so i didn't have to feel I was doing a bad thing by not eating 'Breakfast' (not that I care, I haven't eaten it in about 35 years since my mum stopped nagging me before school!).

I do eat when I'm hungry though which is about 3 hours after I get up and I do drink tea. It works for me! And removing that word from my diary titles made a world of difference psychologically (don't ask why, I've really no idea lol!) Diary is open if you want to see :)
  • aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Sometimes I leave my breakfast until 3-4 hours after I wake up. It just depends on when I feel like eating. If I wake up at 7am, I would usually eat around 10am. If I woke up at 11am, I'd eat around 12pm. Just depends, really. It is an important meal, and you should always try to eat breakfast when you can. It fills you up. A study showed that people who skipped breakfast, were more likely to overeat later that day.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast I have an insatiable hunger all day... I find that once you get used to not having breakfast (took me about a week) it is ok. I am quite happy to leave my metabolism asleep thank you very much :noway:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I always eat it because I'm hungry in the morning. If you're not hungry, though, I don't see anything wrong with waiting a few hours until you are and eating then.
  • flanary888
    flanary888 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I find that I do better throughout the day if I eat breakfast. I eat every 2-3 hours though, small meals. It works for me. I have friends who only eat b/t 12-7 every day and that works for them. You need to find what works for you :)
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i never been a big breakfast eater so now i usually force myself to eat at least 100 cals since i have to take medication and its best to take it with food. I dont graze and also just have a shake for lunch saves me room for my beloved home cooked dinners i enjoy and are usually around 1000 cals :laugh:
  • leafss
    leafss Posts: 3
    Options
    Have a good quality protein shake in the morning high in Protein low in carbs. Doesn't have a huge caloric impact but definitely helps with any hunger or energy issues.