Enjoy a glass of Wine?

Options
Is Wine OK or will it hinder weight loss? If it is OK how much is ok?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have wine regularly (as in, most nights a week). I log it as part of my calories. I haven't noticed any impact to my weight loss. You just have to make sure you're measuring it and that it isn't causing you to go over your calories. As far as "how much," you don't want to crowd out any nutrients that you need (and, if you tend to make impulse food decisions when drinking, you should take that into account as well).
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The thing with wine isn't so much the calories (obviously you need to fit them in) but that your body doesn't burn fat the same way while it's processing alcohol. My trainer told me to try to drink AFTER I'm done eating for the day, and only drink 1-2 nights a week. Weight loss wise, it doesn't matter how much you drink as long as it fits in your calories, but how often affects the way your body burns fat.

You can look up the more scientific version of this, but this is my loose understanding. There are plenty of people who have a glass of wine with dinner daily and lose weight, it just depends on how your body processes alcohol/how quickly you want to lose it.
  • damcgriff
    damcgriff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much …very helpful
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    damcgriff wrote: »

I drink beer or wine nearly every day. A calorie of wine counts the same as a calorie of broccoli, so no worries about it hindering weight loss unless you take in more calories than you expend.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

If I know I am going to drink I typically preplan enough in my log to get blackout drunk.
  • damcgriff
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I drink beer or wine nearly every day. A calorie of wine counts the same as a calorie of broccoli, so no worries about it hindering weight loss unless you take in more calories than you expend.

I have a habit of drinking Wine daily as well. Thanks for the additional insight
  • damcgriff
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

If I know I am going to drink I typically preplan enough in my log to get blackout drunk.

How do you go about doing that …do you eat less for that Day?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I drank a bottle of wine over the weekend (Friday and Saturday night) and then had a beer last night, and one tonight. I've lost 34 pounds. :P
  • damcgriff
    Options
    I drank a bottle of wine over the weekend (Friday and Saturday night) and then had a beer last night, and one tonight. I've lost 34 pounds. :P

Very interesting to know …I figured drinking a bottle or glasses would hinder Me in weight loss. When stepping on the scale I don't see a decrease in pounds (well sometimes but not how I would like to see )…very nerve racking
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Log it, stay in your caloric goals, and you'll be good.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

How do you go about doing that …do you eat less for that Day?

I save some. Like I said I pre-log it. However I still go over sometimes but oh well. It's just one day.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of drinking Wine daily as well. Thanks for the additional insight

Just know that a typical glass of wine (and assuming you actually measure the wine accurately, which you should) is around 120 cal, so 7 days a week, that is an extra 840 calories in a week. That is more than half of the calories I eat in a day just on wine. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. So while you can do it, your excess fat will probably fall off if you just drink less often alone!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »

Just know that a typical glass of wine (and assuming you actually measure the wine accurately, which you should) is around 120 cal, so 7 days a week, that is an extra 840 calories in a week. That is more than half of the calories I eat in a day just on wine. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. So while you can do it, your excess fat will probably fall off if you just drink less often alone!

Even if you account for your wine and maintain the deficit you otherwise would?

If I am not having wine, I am probably not going to not have those 120 calories, I will probably have another snack before bed instead.

Your advice is great if one is adding wine on top of everything else consumed. But it doesn't really make sense if one is logging alcohol and accounting for it.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You have to log it, watch what happens and see what works for you.

I find that wine doesn't do good things for me, even beyond what should happen based on the nutrition. I am VERY sensitive to carbs due to health issues and tend to like sweeter wines. Things like (white) tequila and vodka don't cause me problems.

Pre-log it, plan it into your day and see what happens. Lots of people successfully include wine in their diets. For me, a few times a year is enough.

The other challenge around drinking is that sometimes inhibitions go down and snacking goes up. Every time I drink, I find myself wanting to eat a quesadilla or something similar.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    A good red wine is worth EVERY calorie! Drink and enjoy! (but log).
  • Tmochava
    Tmochava Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing and wondered how I would incorporate drinking wine or any other liquor for that matter into my weight loss. Lots of helpful information and I think pre-planning for it is a great idea.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wine. Beer. I go for it. Probably have 3-5 drinks a week depending on the week (and if I go out).

Empty calories or not, after a hard workout, long day, or to supplement a good meal, having a glass of wine or your preferred libation is no big deal.

If you are concerned, I would log it. If you feel a little extra hungry, I would save that for a snack.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Wine is good for you as long as you only drink 1 glass a day (who only wants one glass?)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Wine is good for you as long as you only drink 1 glass a day (who only wants one glass?)

What happens if you have two sometimes?
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I was drinking a glass of wine with dinner each night but decided to cut it. When I looked at my logs, I noticed that on nights I drank wine it was MUCH harder for me to not snack the rest of the night, and I had a lot more headaches before going to bed. I am NOT a lightweight so it certainly wasn't a hangover (not on one glass anyway) so my theory is that since I am restricting calories, having the alcohol instead of something more filling/nutritious was really taking its toll on my blood sugar.

I hope that it works better for you! Maybe if you have it with a larger dinner...