Frozen Low Calorie Meals

Options
trisH_7183
trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
I thought it would be smart to keep one of these for if & when I needed a quick meal. It was nasty.Sauce was watery,there were 3 small bites of chicken with plain pasta,because sauce was in edible.:grumble:
I am not at all picky about food,but this went in the trash & had cereal for dinner.

We all have different tastes in food,but have you found any frozen dinners that are tasty? What food do you rely on that is quick to heat up? I have home made soup in the freezer,so might just make more soup. :happy:

Replies

• mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just finally found one that is really good and not too high in sodium. It is Lean Cuisine Honestly Good 100% all natural frozen dinners...the one I had was honey citrus chicken with broccoli and yellow zucchini and whole grain pasta with spinach, slivered almonds and sun dried tomatoes. It has 320 calories, 7 grams of fat, 27 grams of protein and 500mg of sodium. It was so much better than any other frozen dinner I have ever had. I think I found it at Target (there are other dinners too). I don't eat frozen dinners too much because I have four children and a husband to feed, but when I do, this one is a winner for me :smile: !

HTH
    Christine
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm going strictly from a taste/calorie perspective here:

Lean Cuisine tastes the best on average out of ANY of the frozen meals. I recall Healthy Choice being the worst.
    Flavors I enjoyed were:

Chicken Makhani
    Chile Lime Chicken
    Ranchero Braised Beef
    Grilled Chicken Primavera
    Chicken Enchilada Suiza
    Santa Fe-Style Rice & Beans

Sometimes the Michelina’s Lean Gourmet meals have similar recipes and are slightly lower quality, smaller servings of the Lean Cuisine. I REALLY enjoy the Michelina's buffalo chicken snackers though - think buffalo chicken pizza rolls.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I personally dislike all the frozen meals available on the market. I make my own now because they taste better, are cheaper and are much better for you.

I usually make an extra serving or two of dinner and portion it out and freeze for later use. One day a month I will make a few meals, portion them and freeze them.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    In a pinch, I like the "dry" frozen meals from Lean Cuisine - the pizzas are especially tasty. Anything with sauce, though, I tend to avoid because you're right in that they tend to be watery. It's only when I really need to, though, because those things tend to be packed with salt, and I don't want to be retaining water.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the good info.I couldn't buy them either,if I had a family to feed :tongue: but I,m 69,so just me & hubby at home.

Maybe making my own meal to freeze would work for me.Thanks for the tip about dry meals. All good info.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I make my own. My freezer is full of chicken chilli and quinoa "mac and cheese" both come in under 300 calories and are yum. I just add a green salad and that's dinner sorted