Restaurant potato chip calorie count?

Options
holly55555
holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
How would you count the homemade potato chips (I'm American, so not french fries!) that come with a sandwich?

I like to go to this little sandwich place near my house and they don't have calorie information anywhere. I brought half my meal home this time and weighed the chips at 1.5 oz., so a whole serving would be 3 oz. Which MFP equated to 345 calories.

Does this sound right? How do you measure stuff like this? :scream:

Replies

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Anytime i eat out...i tack on 200 plus calories per item. I dont trust restaraunt foods since they focus on taste rather than consumer health.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Regular potato chips are about 140-150 cal / oz. I'd use that, unless you can find a restaurant with online calorie counts for a similar item
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are they thick like kettle chips, wavy like ruffles or thin like lays? I'd select the closest one and log that...
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Are they thick like kettle chips, wavy like ruffles or thin like lays? I'd select the closest one and log that...

They're more like lays, but the restaurant is fairly healthy (SEEMING at least) and they aren't greasy like lays... Idk!

I also don't log my exercise calories and use that as a buffer in case I'm logging wrong... but I eat here ALL the time, so I want to be as accurate as I can!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Between 500 and 600 calories per 100g, id just do what readyrock said.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think 345 for 3 ounces of homemade chips seems about right.

For reference, most chips in a package per ounce are 130-150ish calories.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think 345 for 3 ounces of homemade chips seems about right. If not, maybe a bit low.

For reference, most chips in a package per ounce are 130-150ish calories.

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Look at the database entries for potato chips and go with the highest calorie count, that's what I do with any food I'm not sure about. Better to overestimate the calories than go too conservative and end up eating over my calories for the day.

Mmm... potato chips!