Greek yogurt - an acquired taste?

Options
2»

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I bought Stoneyfield - it had fruit on the bottom which is part of my problem - I like it mixed up already lol!

Mix it with your spoon! I find you have to mix up yogurts normally anyways.

Try Oikos. That is one of my favourite ones. Liberte isn't too bad either. I prefer the ones without fruit though. I get vanilla and use it as a fruit dip sometimes.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In my experience I just had to find the right brand. I tried Chobani - hated it! Tried the local store brand - yuck! Tried Oikos - YUM! I eat it every day, but even then I don't like all of the flavors. I've never liked fruit on the bottom yogurts so I only eat the vanilla, key lime, orange, banana, coconut, and strawberry flavors of Oikos.

I've also heard good things about Noosa greek yogurt but I haven't tried it yet.
  • coachlevi
    coachlevi Posts: 16
    Options
    It's a bit of both. Each brand tastes different to me, with some tasting more like regular plain yogurt and others being rather tart. I have found Dannon Oikos to be the best choice for someone transitioning to Greek yogurt, but Fage is my favorite, by far. Chobani, on the other hand, is just too tart for me.

That's based on the plain variety though. I never noticed much difference between the flavored, sweetened ones.
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani. And Yoplait, honestly. Once in awhile I'll add a just a little bit of granola for a topping to give it some crunch. It's thick, yes, but now I have a hard time eating regular yogurt LOL
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Get full fat Greek Yogurt from Athenos. :)

Or at the very least buy 2% Fage, add some honey and fruit on your own and you have a delicious high protein snack. The fat makes it creamy and taste better so that's why 0% fat varieties tend to have a runnier and more sour taste to them.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I've also heard good things about Noosa greek yogurt but I haven't tried it yet.
    Noosa is terrific, but as far as I know they don't make a Greek yogurt. I love the honey one--it's incredibly creamy!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely! The first time I tried plain greek yogurt it was so horrid that I actually wiped my tongue off with a towel and had to rinse my mouth out several times to get rid of the taste! So instead of plain I went with the flavored Chobani greek yogurts for a while as those were pretty tasty. But I will say, even those took some getting used to.

Fast forward almost a year and I decide to buy the Fage side cups on a whim and tried eating just the yogurt by itself and I loved it!! Now I just buy the plain and add a little bit of strawberry jam for sweetness/flavor. As someone else pointed out, having a little bit of fat does make a difference - the 2% is definitely better than the 0% IMHO.

Which brand and flavor you choose depends on your goals (sugar for instance) and how clean you want your diet to be. Compare labels as not all of them are made the same. Also watch for greek vs "greek style" as the latter tend to add thickeners and don't have all the good probiotics.
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good discussion as I try to like greek yogurt as well, but I have issues with texture, I will try the Dannon one someone mentioned. And make sure it has a little fat.

Thanks for asking!