Am i skinny fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've always thought skinny fat is when you're down to your goal weight but you still have a flabby tum and/or inner thighs?? Is this correct?

No.

wow ever so helpful.... Care to elaborate??

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Strength training (aka weight lifting). That's the key to restructuring the body. Sometimes that can be intimidating, though. Especially if you are not sure what/how to do it. Try searching on you tube for full body strength or HIIT routines (try fitness blender, bob harper, jillian micheals). Switch out 2-3 of your 10k walks a week with an hour long HIIT video and you will be seeing results in no time.

Some of my favorites for those who need to learn the basics and form:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRd1ZbU5QiQ (beginner to intermediate)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naJtNxEuBqw (beginner ONLY 20 minutes)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFI5CT5GYA (intermediate to advanced)
    This website is GREAT!!!! You can find exactly what you are looking for and have several FREE videos to chose from: http://www.fitnessblender.com/

Good luck.

Above all else....forget about what others are saying or you THINK they are saying about your body. It's an amazing vessel that gets you from one end of life to the other. Be grateful for it. :)

Wow, thanks for sharing the site and the youtube vids! :)
  • Jupither
    Jupither Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    112 at 5'1" is a very healthy weight!!! Are you sure you don't just have a bad body image and actually look really great?

If you still aren't happy with the way your body looks, weight lifting is going to give you the look that you want. Lifting heavy like Stronglifts 5x5. I personally think you would see more body decomposition results if you put your time to lifting instead of yoga I think you might see results.

The right type of Yoga can actually build muscle, since it has tons of body weights exercises (planks, push up sort of things etc). I have read many times that Yoga helps in getting everything tight and lean without "bulking up". I dp agree about the weights though, but would rather suggest exchanging some of the light cardio for that and keep the Yoga :-)
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I just want to say that the other amazing benefit of strength training is psychological. Op says she has a bad body imagine. being /feeling/ looking strong is such a buzz! Imo there's no better way to feel good about yourself. Feeling physically strong can help you feel mentally strong.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've always thought skinny fat is when you're down to your goal weight but you still have a flabby tum and/or inner thighs?? Is this correct?

No.

Deja vu...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is being in a healthy weight range but having so little muscle mass that your body fat % is at an unhealthy level. It has nothing to do with how or where you carry the body fat.

The solution: recomp by eating at or just barely below maintenance and lift heavy.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

No.

I answered the asked question. ("Is this correct?")

Now I'll answer yours ("Care to elaborate? "): No.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP, based on your stats and age, there is a 99% chance all is in your head. Honestly, I would start by looking if school offers counseling, because no exercise will help when you have a negative body image.
    If you really want to find a workout that will help you, first look for something you enjoy. Many posters here are more familiar with weight lifting, they love it or it has worked for them. This does not make it the only way to build strenght and to have a great body though. If it something you think it would interest you, awesome. If you prefer yoga, again awesome, the right classes can definitely help you build strenght and muscle, as it involves body weight training.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options

No.
    I disagree.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

No.

Deja vu...

Whys that?

That's a stock standard answer when someone simply replies with a pointless "No"....

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »

No.

I disagree.
    Good-for-you-wux2xt.jpg