I have a question, could someone please help?

Options
Hi! So I have created a weight loss plan using the site's calculator and have a daily calorie count allotment. I work at Panera Bread, and on days when I work I usually break and have lunch there in the middle of my shift. I calculated my usual sandwich in, and for fun I added in the cinammon crunch bagel w/ cream cheese into it too. I have the rest of the day's calories planned out with dinner/breakfast and some leftover for a potential snack. To my shock, even with the bagel, I come in under my calorie count and everything else (sugar, carbs, etc). It seems to good to be true that I could have my favorite treat a few times a week and, as long as I stay under all my counts for the day, still lose a pound a week.

So, is this true or is it too good to be true? Thoughts?

Replies

• neekmichelle922
    neekmichelle922 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Me everyone has their own biochemical dna so what works for you might not for others.. test it out if you lose weight eating the stuff you like that's Soo good! If you find yourself maintaining try something else :))
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I have created a weight loss plan using the site's calculator and have a daily calorie count allotment. I work at Panera Bread, and on days when I work I usually break and have lunch there in the middle of my shift. I calculated my usual sandwich in, and for fun I added in the cinammon crunch bagel w/ cream cheese into it too. I have the rest of the day's calories planned out with dinner/breakfast and some leftover for a potential snack. To my shock, even with the bagel, I come in under my calorie count and everything else (sugar, carbs, etc). It seems to good to be true that I could have my favorite treat a few times a week and, as long as I stay under all my counts for the day, still lose a pound a week.

I have no idea what your goals are, but assuming you've entered your stats correctly and are choosing the right items from the database (which can sometimes be a challenge), I don't think it is too good to be true. I have "treats" all the time and I'm still losing weight. It's one reason why I like calorie counting so much. Nothing is off-limits.
  • LorettaLove1
    Options
    Thanks to the both of you! That's encouraging:) I currently weight 188 and I want to eventually (no rush, as long as I'm losing at least a little per week) go down to 160. I have my goals set for 1 lb a week. You're right about the database, it can be a pain, but I've been double checking things against nutrition info I have on hand & I know the nutrition info of panera like the back of my hand because the customers these days expect you to know it off the top of your head.

That is the great thing I'm learning about calorie-counting, you're right. It does sometimes seem just too good when your treats fit in perfectly with your goals. :open_mouth:
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You should get a scale to keep at work. I weigh all my food now at work like bananas, but even things like granola bars need to be weighed. I found out that my favorite granola bar was actually 1.14 servings today! That added an extra 27 cals right there. It starts to add up and then you think "why haven't I lost weight?" Panera bread has nutrition info in grams I'm assuming, so weigh the bagel to see how many grams it really is. I would not rely on general restaurant numbers if you can help it. I will not bring a scale to a restaurant lol, so I just add 5% to all those totals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you've double checked the calorie content and you're still under, then you're golden.
  • LorettaLove1
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    You should get a scale to keep at work. I weigh all my food now at work like bananas, but even things like granola bars need to be weighed. I found out that my favorite granola bar was actually 1.14 servings today! That added an extra 27 cals right there. It starts to add up and then you think "why haven't I lost weight?" Panera bread has nutrition info in grams I'm assuming, so weigh the bagel to see how many grams it really is. I would not rely on general restaurant numbers if you can help it. I will not bring a scale to a restaurant lol, so I just add 5% to all those totals.

That's a really really good idea omg!!!!! We have a little scale to weigh chicken on it before putting it on the paninis (my boss is really really cheap) so i'll just plop the bagel on it. The ladies who work the line will totally get a kick out of it too.

Thanks to everyone! I just need to be sure that my nutrition info is correct and it's definitely coming in under my counts, and I should be good. You guys are the best!
  • LorettaLove1
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

As long as you stay within your calories you will reach your goal. Now the question is, where did that entry come from? Often people input the nutrition data anyone can pick a food and set the nutrition info. Sometimes people don't know what the heck they're doing and just input bad/inaccurate data.

A leaner type of sandwhich, i would estimate about 200-400 calories, this means turkey breast, with lettuce/onion/tomato mustard and some light or no mayo.

The bagel with cream cheese... a normal bagel with a serving of cream cheese is about 550 calories. So you're looking at 750-950 calories.

Usuall a woman's calorie goals are from 1200-1700 or so. So that's a pretty big chunk out of your calories, 44-55% of your calories in 1 meal. That's half of your daily food intake.

The sandwich I eat has avocado/turkey and light mayo on it. It comes in at 510 on the databases, which matches what I have on book at the store & online. The bagel comes in at 420 w/out CC & our lowfat CC comes in at an extra 100. The database info also matches what I have on book and online. So lunch is the lion's share of my daily meal, but that's also consistent with my daily eating habits. I usually have a small breakfast, big lunch, and small dinner. Of course you're right, calorie content could be wrong. I guess when you look at it that way, the calorie content for anything could be wrong. Panera is a corporation just like the people who slap nutrition labels on any food we eat, so I like to think they're right.

BUT you are correct, information could be bad/inaccurate. I guess the best thing I can do for now is to eat the plan I just laid out because it is coming in under, and see what happens with my weight. If I maintain (or God forbid, gain!) I know exactly where to cut first. :) Thanks for the honest advice.
  • LorettaLove1
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »

Oh yes, i was going to bring this up and i forgot. Check online and see if panera has any nutritional info.

Thanks! :D I did indeed. I think we both posted replies at the same time so you may have missed the reply I just added. But I think we're on the same page. I really appreciate your tips, I need all the help I can get!
  • LorettaLove1
    Options

As long as you stay within your calories you will reach your goal. Now the question is, where did that entry come from? Often people input the nutrition data anyone can pick a food and set the nutrition info. Sometimes people don't know what the heck they're doing and just input bad/inaccurate data.

A leaner type of sandwhich, i would estimate about 200-400 calories, this means turkey breast, with lettuce/onion/tomato mustard and some light or no mayo.

The bagel with cream cheese... a normal bagel with a serving of cream cheese is about 550 calories. So you're looking at 750-950 calories.

Usuall a woman's calorie goals are from 1200-1700 or so. So that's a pretty big chunk out of your calories, 44-55% of your calories in 1 meal. That's half of your daily food intake.

The sandwich I eat has avocado/turkey and light mayo on it. It comes in at 510 on the databases, which matches what I have on book at the store & online. The bagel comes in at 420 w/out CC & our lowfat CC comes in at an extra 100. The database info also matches what I have on book and online. So lunch is the lion's share of my daily meal, but that's also consistent with my daily eating habits. I usually have a small breakfast, big lunch, and small dinner. Of course you're right, calorie content could be wrong. I guess when you look at it that way, the calorie content for anything could be wrong. Panera is a corporation just like the people who slap nutrition labels on any food we eat, so I like to think they're right.

BUT you are correct, information could be bad/inaccurate. I guess the best thing I can do for now is to eat the plan I just laid out because it is coming in under, and see what happens with my weight. If I maintain (or God forbid, gain!) I know exactly where to cut first. :) Thanks for the honest advice.

I was a bit hesitant to reply to this comment because it can open up a new can of worm, but it's important for future success.

Honestly, everything is wrong. There is a degree of error in foods. The calculators you use to calculate how many calories you eat are also wrong to some degree, if you track your exercise calories, those are also wrong. Everything is an estimate. We all have different rates of metabolisms, which a calorie counter wouldn't know.

Don't let it concern you though, it's no big deal. Try a calorie count for a month, if you're not losing reduce it by 10%. Try another month, if you're not losing reduce calories by another 10%. There will be a point when you lose the weight at the rate you're supposed to.

No, I'm really glad you did. Every can of worms IS important for future success. There's so much variation with each human body...it is frustrating. A computer cannot understand us to the most specific degree. I see your point completely.

I like to think I have an average metabolism. I face extra struggles with PCOS, but I've always found that when I eat like crap I gain weight and when I eat well, I lose it. Pretty simple, so I guess I'm lucky in that respect. I'm relatively tall (5'7") and I'm obviously not thin/slender but I've been told I look average and have a relatively nice figure. So all in all, I feel pretty good about things right now but I want to feel better! And maintain an even better weight. My main concern is things getting out of hand.

So to end that tangent, you're absolutely right and I'm glad you said something. I'll keep that tip in mind if things don't seem to be going well. :) It's a learning process for sure.