Damn fruits have soo much sugar in them! Trying to lose weight by cutting carbs?

Options
glfernandes828
glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
If you're trying to lose weight by cutting carbs, eating too much fruit daily may be prohibiting that. This article shows the 5 fruits with the highest and lowest amounts of sugar to help you stay under the daily suggested intake (20g if trying to lose weight)

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/high-low-sugar-fruits

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good thing weight loss works on a "calories in, calories out" level then.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Good thing weight loss works on a "calories in, calories out" level then.

this
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yay, the chihuahua is free!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sugar, and I eat fruit daily (well, almost daily, unless I'm out!) - and I've reached goal weight doing so.

If you've got no medical reason to watch your sugar, fruit ain't gonna hurt your progress. Calories in, calories out.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love fruit and there is NO way I will ever cut it out of my diet!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I love fruit too. I wouldn't never cut it out completely, but I have cut down. I try to limit myself to 1-2 servings a day. Eating lower GI fruits helps too. I try to make up for it by eating a lot of vegetables.

Before you ask, yes, I do have several medical reasons for controlling carbs. Yes, I have been tracking my food for years and too much fruit absolutely makes me gain weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight by cutting carbs, eating too much fruit daily may be prohibiting that. This article shows the 5 fruits with the highest and lowest amounts of sugar to help you stay under the daily suggested intake (20g if trying to lose weight)

Pretty cute article, whether low or high sugar! Loved all the pics of the various fruit. They even stated benefits for all the high sugar fruit. I expected to see bananas somewhere on the list but was surprised not to. I also expected to see grapes and did!
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I cut the daily banana, I saw a definite and sustained increase in the slope of weekly weight loss on the graph.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    I don't even track my sugar, and I eat fruit daily (well, almost daily, unless I'm out!) - and I've reached goal weight doing so.

If you've got no medical reason to watch your sugar, fruit ain't gonna hurt your progress. Calories in, calories out.

I too eat a ton of fruit, and have reached goal weight. In fact, I credit 2 things for my losses, my food scale, and fruit. High volume, low cal, and keeps everything moving along nicely :o

1209329.png
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

That list is a little misleading. For example, cherries are listed as "high sugar" but they are actually really low on the glycemic index.

You also need to experiment with what works for your body. For whatever reason, grapes don't spike my blood sugar all that much, but bananas REALLY do.

Track and see what works for you!
  • glfernandes828
    Options
    I love fruit too. I wouldn't never cut it out completely, but I have cut down. I try to limit myself to 1-2 servings a day. Eating lower GI fruits helps too. I try to make up for it by eating a lot of vegetables.

Before you ask, yes, I do have several medical reasons for controlling carbs. Yes, I have been tracking my food for years and too much fruit absolutely makes me gain weight.

Yeah I've cut down as well because you definitely lose weight faster by reducing carbs than any other element so Ive been eating only 1-2 servings daily but a ton more vegetables too. Thanks :)
  • glfernandes828
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've lost more weight after i increased the amount of fruit i eat. 3-4 servings a day.
  • glfernandes828
    Options
    bluefish49 wrote: »
    When I cut the daily banana, I saw a definite and sustained increase in the slope of weekly weight loss on the graph.

Really? Hmm good to know! I'm going to experiment with different fruits for the next few weeks and see how my body reacts to it.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love all fruits but when I saw how much sugar they have, like one apple has 14 grams, that blew my mind, it's like eating candy. But I've listened to all the replies on here and will definitely see how my body reacts to the changes
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What?? Fruits have sugar? Who knew? But it's not like eating candy. Not unless your candy also has fiber and vital nutrients.
  • pickyreverb
    pickyreverb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not all sugars are created equal, and fruit contains plenty of fiber to help it digest more slowly. Just stay away from juice, which rids it of that fiber while concentrating the sugar.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Bananas are awesome and geat for workouts. I will just stick to calorie control it works for me.