coconut oil

Options
I've heard it has some great health benefits and also helps with losing weight. It seems good for targeting areas around the stomach.

http://cdn.eatlocalgrown.com/2-coconut-oil.html

QUOTE:

"Coconut oil appears to be especially effective in reducing abdominal fat, which lodges in the abdominal cavity and around organs.

This is the most dangerous fat of all and is highly associated with many Western diseases.

Waist circumference is easily measured and is a great marker for the amount of fat in the abdominal cavity.

A study in 40 women with abdominal obesity, supplementing with 30 mL (1 ounce) of coconut oil per day lead to a significant reduction in both BMI and waist circumference in a period of 12 weeks (19).

Another study in 20 obese males noted a reduction in waist circumference of 2.86 cm (1.1 inches) after 4 weeks of 30 mL (1 ounce) of coconut oil per day (32).

This number may not seem too impressive on the surface, but be aware that these people aren't adding exercise or restricting calories. They’re losing significant amounts of abdominal fat simply by adding coconut oil to their diet"

So after I read this I got a big jar and am eating it straight out of the jar with a spoon. Instead of going for a choccy biccie when I feel peckish I'm going to have a teaspoon of coconut oil (its solid in the jar) and mix it in natural yoghurt to have on fruit for breakfast.

My weight is all round my middle with being hypothyroid and in a wheelchair and after getting down to 9st 3 last time I've piled it all on and gone back up to 12st 7 after stress of step sister getting cancer and finally losing her battle last month.

Anyone else used coconut oil as a slimming aid and been successful?

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Please think about what you're saying.
    Eating spoons of oil to lose fat on your stomach, how does that make any sense?

Eat less calories than you burn and do it in a way that fits your lifestyle and goals, simple.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    There are several articles that both support some of the claims made regarding coconut oil and debunk them. Read research from reliable resources, not claims made that don't make logical sense. Surprisingly, yes, there are some facts out there. For instance, pulling oil can benefit teeth and gums (but you have to do it for at least 15-20 minutes) and, because it has antibacterial properties, using coconut oil on your can actually help with body odor. However, there is little evidence for some of the claims being made. Adding fat to your diet will only benefit you if you are eating at a significant deficit. Diet is about balance. Add healthy choices in the right amounts (learn your macros), and you'll lose weight.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1799
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/coconut-oil-and-health
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/25/coconut-oil-benefits_n_4164278.html
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you are going to add fat to your diet then it's a good choice, but make sure you count the calories in it as it's easy to go overboard, especially if making bullet proof coffees with it.

You can use it to replace other oils in cooking, but again, count those calories.

I also like to use it as lipbalm and sometimes as a moisturiser on my elbows and knees lol.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great for hair and nails as well as some forms of eczema. I tried pulling but it's just too gross walking around with a mouth of warm oil for 20 minutes! I use it in cooking as it's a healthy oil. I'm not sure of the science of eating fat by the spoon full in order to loose fat. Eat at a deficit and it will go.
  • ecsumaria
    ecsumaria Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've done research on this. Adding the extra calories won't help for weight loss BUT replacing other types of oil you may use (olive, etc.) with coconut oil can have great health effects.
    I've heard there's no science behind oil pulling.
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think that past diet advice has kept us under the impression that we have to eat no fat to lose weight-and if adding coconut oil will give you a little fat in your diet, then sure, it's a good addition to your daily calories. Like everything else that has been a fad in the past, however, it isn't the be-all-end-all. Count it in your calories if you want it.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is one of the best fats (and avocado), but like anything else, you need to consume it in moderation. Too much of anything is not good. In addition to a food, I use it for a moisturizer and in cooking. I have heard about eating it "straight up" but personally, don't think that's a great idea. Any claim that promises a simple solution is, unfortunately, usually a myth.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Oil pulling dates back to the dark ages. Was it effective? Sure...comparatively- I mean- they had literally no other options for cleaning their teeth, so for the time it was. Is it effective today? Compared to our modern dental care? No freaking way. It's just gross. Don't do it. Buy some toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash and clean your mouth.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I oil pull, but its not a replacement for brushing
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's a staple for high fat diets, but on a low fat diet, it could easily eat up your whole day. I can't cook eggs in anything else though, honestly. Otherwise they burn lol.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am so sorry about the loss of your stepsister. That is a tragic event but don't use it as an excuse. Weight loss and health is a solo journey, we are each a team of one.

There is no magic pill or food that will make you lose weight. A search of the forum will show that these claims come up often.

Coconut oil is a good product and we have used it for years but if you want to lose weight the only way is to consume less calories than you burn.

I wish you success with your health issues. You have definitely been dealt a bad hand but stay positive and do the best you can.
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil to cook with x
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I recently discovered coconut oil and pull in the morning for 20 minutes. It's fantastic for when you wake up with a yukky 'diet mouth'. I follow that with a salt water rinse and then brush my teeth. It leaves my mouth feeling much fresher than just brushing/flossing.
    I haven't tried cooking with coconut oil yet as I don't like the way it smells when it's melted... (does that sound weird?)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is really high in saturated fat. Here's an educational infographic with reputable sources:

hhko-oo-vs-co-high-fin.jpg
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    shakybabe wrote: »
    Anyone else used coconut oil as a slimming aid and been successful?

Please do yourself a huge favor and forget about anything called a "slimming aid." The only way to lose weight is with a calorie deficit.

Many foods do make it easier to maintain a caloric deficit, but eating extra of anything to lose weight doesn't make sense.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is really high in saturated fat. Here's an educational infographic with reputable sources...

Except now we're told that saturated fat might actually be good for us after all... There are many articles on the subject but here's one:
    "The science linking saturated fats to heart disease and other health issues has never been sound. Nina Teicholz looks at how governments started advising incorrectly on diets..."

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/the-science-of-saturated-fat-a-big-fat-surprise-about-nutrition-9692121.html
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    +1 for coconut oil as a moisturizer

I've been using it for months and haven't even considered going back to regular lotions.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would not eat a spoon full of it. I do cook with it but that is about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's delicious and I like using it to cook my eggs with and popcorn is phenomenal with coconut oil...but it's not magical and most of the health claims are completely unfounded.

I also find it rather humorous that in the 90s there was no greater dietary demon than coconut oil and that the government banned movie theaters from using it to make their popcorn...and now it's touted as a health food.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt to try. Just don't go over your calories because of it.
    I'm sitting here drinking a bullet proof hot chocolate as we speak :D I use chocolate protein powder instead of coffee.