Low Carb

katfaw
katfaw Posts: 2 Member
Hi Looking for support from people doing low carb. I am type 2 diabetic on insulin and read Dr K Bernstein Diabetes Solution. Although I don't think I can be as strict as his diet , the basic principle I believe is good. Has taught me a lot.

Replies

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited March 2015
    I don't know who Dr Bernstein is, but when I started to lose weight a little over a year ago it was because I was borderline type 2 diabetes... among other things. I wouldn't say I'd peg myself as low carb, but I eat reduced carb...usually less than 100g per day and about 30% of my macros and I try to get most of my carbs from low GI foods. I virtually never eat potatoes, rice, pasta, etc anymore and really don't miss them. Occasionally I indulge, but I'd rather get my calories elsewhere most of the time. If I want to splurge on a high carb, high GI food, I'll usually choose cake over spaghetti :)

If you are full on type 2 diabetes already, you should probably consult your doctor before undertaking any kind of significant macro reduction. If you are on insulin or something, reducing your carbs significantly while taking insulin could be a problem without advice, so chat with your doc.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Low carb is not highly thought of .... Here on the main forums. I suggest you search the MFP groups. Find and join "The Low Carber Forum". Lots of friendly accepting folks there. Also check out the launch pad. Lots of great info and receipes.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    I try to focus more on the "high protein" part than the "low carb" part. I fin d it less depressing that way lol My dad was diagnosed type 2 diabeties when I was 10 yo so I'm aware of some struggles you may go through! Feel free to add me :)