Training Basics

Options
I have seen many discussions on this site about training but I don’t really see people talking about exercise basics its always recommendations for whatever weight lifting program that is currently popular.

Also I see people questioning why they cant get to their goal weight when the reality is if someone diets and exercises they will eventually reach their natural weight for their body composition and its at this point the fitness goals need to be reassessed.

The basic principles I was taught 20 years ago based on an hour session in a gym are-

Light weights 2-3 sets 15-20 reps fast tempo(1/0/2/0) and 30-40 minutes cardio.
This would give you the greatest weight loss and help to find your natural body weight and teach the basic techniques and form of weight training.

Progressing from this on to heavier weights 2-3 sets 12-15 reps with a slower tempo (2/0/4/1) and 20-30 minutes cardio.
This will strengthen muscle without gaining a lot of weight and doing the cardio keeps the heart ticking along nicely.

Progressing again on to heavier weights 2-3 sets 8-12 reps tempo (1/0/2/0) the tempo can vary as weight gets heavier the principle is the same explode up, slow down and 10-20 minutes cardio. This will strengthen muscle further and cause some weight gain and the cardio will aid muscle repair.

Using weight machines in a gym are a good start as they are safe and will teach good form and you will learn the basic muscle groups before incorporating free weights in to a routine.

Once an individual is happy with their weight and training parameters they can expand them as they choose.

Someone who wants to run a marathon would not progress past phase one with the weights but continually increase running.

Someone who wants a lean but muscular physique would not progress past phase two with the weights and do mid distance cardio.

Someone who wants a sprinters physique would stop at phase 3 and do HiT training.

Progressing past phase 3 takes you in to the realms of body builders and strength athletes which your average person does not want to do.

Dipping in to the training they do from time to time is good as it can give your body a nice boost but generally there training is extremely complex and takes extreme dedication to detail, but one thing should be remembered body builders and strength athletes still do regular cardio.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?