At-home workout DVDs?

Options
perkins_lm
perkins_lm Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have about 80 lbs to lose. I work full time, I'm a college student, and I'm also planning a wedding. I often don't have more than an hour to workout (including changing my clothes), and my living room only has a space of about 6x10. I have a Zumba DVD set, but can't seem to get my heart rate up high enough because I both don't have enough room to really push myself, and am not motivated by a ton of Latin songs I don't recognize. This is extremely disappointing because I LOVE the Zumba class I go to on Saturday mornings.

Can anyone recommend a DVD series that can really increase my heart rate in the space I have? I have heard good things about T-25 and P90x but I am hesitant because right now I am 256 lbs and can't usually my body for resistance even with the accommodations DVDs often have. (Pilates is torture for me lol.) Also, they usually have a plan for people that do DVDs at home everyday. I can't usually do DVDs more than 3, sometimes 4 times a week.

Also, feel free to add me.

Replies

• capn17
    capn17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had success with the Hip Hop Abs DVD set. There are modifications you can do when you can't do the real thing.

Good luck.
  • amandasuarse82
    amandasuarse82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anything by Jillian Michaels!
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels. They are free on youtube so no need to spend the money on them
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm all about low impact, high intensity workouts. I'm not into I have never had a lot of space to workout and have a large library collection. Some of my favorite series are Turbo Jam/Fire from beach body. Chalean Extreme, also a beachbody production. Anything Ellen Barrett, Suzanne Bowen's BarreAmped series is killer, etc. etc. The key is finding something YOU like, everyone has their preferences. Go to Total Fitness DVDs and preview their titles so you can get an idea of what looks good to you.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ahem... to clarify. I am not into killing myself in the name of sweat - but I do enjoy working out a lot. Also, you should be able to easily raise your heart rate to the target range, just by doing some squats, for example.
  • DawnCravesHim
    DawnCravesHim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    P90X is probably too big of a time commitment for you. The Yoga DVD alone is 90 minutes long. It is a great program, but takes time, weights, a pull up bar and/or resistance bands. P90 is a good program - starts out around 30 minutes and adds time and difficulty every 4 weeks. Every DVD has one trainer showing modified moves. You will need a resistance band, a place to secure it (door jam) and hand weights. I love Tony Horton!!! AND Beach Body has many other DVD sets to choose from. I would suggest visiting Beach Body and youtubing a few workouts to see which set/instructor you like the best. (BTW - I am not a coach for Beach Body, not do I work for the company. I just like their products. A little pricey, but we are worth it!)
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I like the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds series. She incorporates other kinds of moves (side steps/kicks, kick boxing, etc.) so that your whole body is involved. It's not super intense, but gets my HR up pretty good.
  • CherryVonBlackheart13
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender on youtube. it's all free, and there's a wide variety of workouts for all levels. and all of them can be done with little to no equipment. Best of luck!
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels- Banish Fat Boost Metabolism will really get your heart rate up! Love all of her DVDs though.
  • naillij77
    Options
    Anything Jillian Michaels. I also enjoy Bikini Body Mommy--free on YouTube or register on her Facebook page and she sends you the free links. 20-25 minutes HIIT.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree, p90x is gonna be a bit much to start. I love T25 and they have low impact modifiers for when you are starting out. As long as you have enough room to lay on your floor (for planks and burpees) you're good. Shaun T is a great motivator. I don't really care for Jillian. The beach body stuff can be pricey but you can usually find it on eBay or amazon for cheaper than directly off their website.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels, Piloxing( it's Pilates and kickboxing), Hip Hop Abs, Kettle bell Kickboxing( kettle bells and kickboxing), Step Aerobics, Insanity, Turbo Fire, Cathe Friedrich, Brazilian Butt Lift( it's sort of like zumba)
  • hotmamakate
    Options
    I have had a blast using a combo of P90X and Hip Hop abs! Yes, the P90X yoga is 90 minutes but that is the only one that is that long. The rest are just under an hour. Hip Hop Abs are 40 minutes or less. I am a mom of 4 who has pretty much no hours during the day to be working out SO I get up before the kids do and I workout then. I get ME time and I feel pumped for the day! It is SOOO worth the discipline of getting up and watching the calories ( thank you MFP!), I have lost 45lbs in 4 mos just sticking with it! Honestly, the Zumba dvds are NOTHING like the Zumba gym or indipendent classes. I have done both - but NO ONE can make you shake your booty like Shaun T, and NO ONE can kick your *kitten* like Tony Horton! Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best!
  • hotmamakate
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I started out at 237 lbs, so I understand having to take it easy at first. Maybe if you try to take it easy at first, get used to your workout schedule, how the instructor runs their class, what foods/calories you will be eating, etc- just keep doing it! You'll see, every day you'll pick up more and more and realize that you can suddenly do things that you couldnt do before. Heck, I never thought 4 mos. ago that I could bend like my 8 y.o. son ( thanks to P90X Yoga)! Don't beat up on yourself if it starts out bumpy, it will smooth out the more you stick with it, and you'll be proud of yourself on your wedding day! :smiley:
  • curvy_n_coco
    curvy_n_coco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    capn17 wrote: »
    I have had success with the Hip Hop Abs DVD set. There are modifications you can do when you can't do the real thing.

Good luck.

Yes.. Me too
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    tlblood wrote: »
    I like the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds series. She incorporates other kinds of moves (side steps/kicks, kick boxing, etc.) so that your whole body is involved. It's not super intense, but gets my HR up pretty good.

I love her dvds.
    They are mostly low impact a few have jogging in them. you need a very small space

• ldavisro
    ldavisro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jillian michaels 30 day shred is great only 20 min for the workout! Also love turbo fire if you like the music part of it and sweating lol
  • julieager75
    julieager75 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Leslie Sansone Walk away the Pounds dvds. They are awesome and she has so many to choose from that require different time commitments, so you can pick and choose which ones work best for you.

I also love the beachbody programs. They have so many good ones. Slim in 6 is one that does not require much room and can really work the body. I also love Chalene Johnson and her Turbojam and Turbofire programs. I'm doing a mixture of Slim in 6 and Les Mills Pump right now because they are two of my favorites :) I get bored easily so I'm doing one week of SI6 and one week of Pump and just alternating.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I used to do exercise DVDs exclusively.

I liked Karen Voight, Corey Everson, Chalean Johnson's different series like Turbo Fire, Kari Anderson and Billy Blanks.

Look for them free at your library or on ebay. I'll bet you can get a lot on the cheap.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is a great workout - and it's on YouTube. :)