Self-Confidence

Options
HappyTrails7
HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Throughout my life, I often wondered why some people exude confidence while others seem to be destined to be wallflowers. Is the alpha male or female always the most rugged, or the prettiest, person in the room? No, I do not believe this the case. While good looks are a plus, they do not guarantee a charmed life. Many so-called "beautiful" people still struggle with self-confidence, they are not thin enough, muscular enough, or pretty enough. Sadly, their biggest enemy is me, myself, and I.

My friends please know that others cannot, do not, validate who we are, but we ourselves are the only ones who can define this aspect of our lives. Our thoughts on how we believe others perceive us a major factor to self-confidence. Do not be your harshest critic, but rather smile, hold your head high, and see yourself in light for whom you are destined to be.

I believe that my eating habits are proportionally related to my self-confidence. The two are eerily tied together at the hip.

If you have a moment, please share your thoughts on this subject.

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I've had issues with self-confidence my entire life. The most confidence I've ever had was when I got down to about 190 in my early 20s. Then, I allowed myself to start ballooning back up pound by pound, and noticed my confidence just get chiseled away.

For me, in just about all aspects of my life, there is a point where something is going so badly that I just say "eff it," and let it slide into utter depravity. It has happened in relationships both personal, and romantic, as well as with alcohol, poverty, food, and confidence also. Once I started to get past the 250lb mark again, I just decided that I was too far gone, and just completely let myself go. It's not allowing myself to get to that tipping point which is the key for my life.

I have found that each time I step on the scale to see an incrementally smaller number, a single pebble in my former wall of confidence is re-set.
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to not have any self confidence. I was never good enough, fast enough, smart enough, or strong enough, skinny enough, happy enough. I heard this from others and told myself this constently. Then i had my second child and she had extreme health complications. By six weeks old she had two heart surgeries. She had almost died several times. I found myself going through the motions. Fear paralizing every thought or feeling i had. Everyday became a fight to see one good thing to make it a good day. Let me tell you how bad a day has to be that you can be so thankful that a hospital elevator goes from the bottom to your floor without stopping. Or a simple hello from a stranger can feel like you hit the lottery. Then on the day of my daughters last heart surgery, as i stood watching my sister (one of the strongest most self assured people i have ever known) try not to throw up and cry all at the same time because of how horrible this experience was, i had the ultimate apiphony about myself. If i could go through this horrible horrible experience with the ability to see something good everyday i awoke, the strength to stand by my daughters bedside to comfort and love her even when i couldnt touch her, the grace to see how even i didnt have it as bad as some of the other parents and children there. Then i could not only face anything but that i had enough of everything in myself!

Someone may not have had a life changing experience like this, but we all have moments we can look back on that we can see how we had enough. I urge everyone to look back on these moments with pride and to hold on to them throughout your life. Because everyone is enough even when we are not perfect!